Thread: Service experience?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Default Service experience?

I am about to send my E1 to Olympus to have the grip repaired/replaced. Hopefully they'll clean the dust off the sensor at the same time along with what has ended up inside the viewfinder.
    Others who've had warranty work done, what has been your experience?
    Did Olympus treat you right?
    Was the turn around reasonable?

Mine is going to Cypress, Ca.

Thanks

Andy

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Service experience?

My experience was great. One of the kit lenses from the E-300 had a bit of plastic shaving from manufacture on the inner surface of the back lens. I sent the lens in and had it back cleaned in 5 days, no charge.
    Pete

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Thanks. I'll post the results of my experience when they return my E1.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

I have found the service of Olympus USA to be great. I haven't had any issues. But I know a couple have, but once I find out about it, I have a few contacts which have helped out in the past.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

a friend of mine had a problem with his E-1: sometimes, the mirror stayed locked up and only came down again when he turned the camera off and on again; turned out that his camera had accumulated lots of dust and dirt, that's why the mirror sometimes stuck; he sent the camera in (to Oly Austria), and this is what they did, for free (he was within the 2 years warranty):

- cleaned the whole camera interior including the viewfinder where, too, already was some dust
    - repaired the grip which also was a little bit loose
    - replaced the strip in the camera which catches the dust shaken off from the SSWF

I don't recall if they also cleaned the sensor (I think they did); and he only asked for them to repair the occasional "mirror-stuck-up-problem"

my E-330 soon is due for treatment, too (I just wait for bad weather ;-): grip repair; and I hope she gets equal treatment
    Cheers, Herman

sokolblog

Thanks
    Feedback Score

The Oly service is GREAT in Japan, at least. I had a busted digicam and sent it to the repair center for an estimate (wouldn't you know, it broke two weeks after the warranty had expired--probably my fault from getting sand in the zoom mechanism, but I didn't know for sure). Five days later, nothing from Oly, even though they had promised to fax me. I was about to call them, when my camera arrived, good as new. They must have repaired it and sent it back out the same day. They said they were going to honor the warranty through the end of the month, so no charge.

It's probably too late for you, but one thing I think helped was enclosing a little note saying that although I didn't need the C-770 back right away, it was such a wonderful little camera that I would really miss it while it was gone (I really meant it!). I don't know, maybe only a Japanese company would respond to something like that, but it's worth a try.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Sorry to say, mine was a nightmare. Maybe it's the "branch" of the service we get in Malaysia. It actually started back when I was using the old 8080wz. Got the camera new and I added a 1gb highspeed CF card. Not a cheap card but the camera failed to initiate the card...So I sent card and camera back to Oly. 1 week later, they said nothing wrong with the cam, maybe the chip...Return the chip and was given another...same problem..back to oly again...2 weeks..same reply. Nothing wrong with the cam...it's the chip!!!.. This time I went to the chip supplier's office. The chip worked fine on an N.

So I had to settle for a normal speed chip

That was a start to the Oly's service relationship and me.

Fast forward to 2006, Got a E-330 and I found banding lines in my low light shots.. The camera have been in and out of the service center countless number of times..and so was the 14-45 lens. The banding lines were never solved and it persist till this day.

The last time the E-330 went in, the camera was returned to me but the Mode B magnification failed to initialize. But because the warranty was expired after I collect the camera, they wanted to charge me for the checking and service. I have decided not to send the camera in as I do not use that function. I have since sold that E-330.

As for the 14-45, it was in at first for 1 week..then in again another week.. after 1.5 month. I finally gave up and bought the 14-54 and have never looked back.

So you tell me...it have not been rosy with my experience with Oly's service in Malaysia.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I took my FL-50 into Cypress for service and they had it back to me within a week. They even called to say what was wrong and also called when it was ready to ship back to me.

I thought they were good - I was happy.
    -Susan U.

E-3
    E-1
    E-300
    E-10
    Yashica FX-2
    Holga Toy Camera
    Lenses:
    ZD 14-54
    ZD 35
    ZD 50
    ZD 40-150
    Sigma 30
    OM 50 1.4

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Well I just got my E-500 back from repair due to what looked like a hot pixel column. The bad thing is that I gave it first to the shop where I had bought it instead of sending it to Olympus directly. So I had to wait a month (but I was told it would last that long)... Apart from that, everything works great now.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Well, hopefully this is not going to reflect the whole experience. Olympus sent me an estimate today for $255 to get the camera back into working condition. Huh? I have a 2y extended warranty through Olympus and I enclosed copies of all the paperwork with the camera. Receipts of the camera, warranty, etc. Unless this is standard procedure for them, there is a warranty check box on the form they sent me. Still it leaves me wondering. Hope to know more on Monday when I talk to someone.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Thats about right paid that on two bad pixals on a digicam OLY, WITHOUT WARRENTY!! . Now go price your camera out on thier trade in site of OLY.Read the fine print of your warrenty and if valid your claim You call them and shake thst warrenty in thier face! Really they(OLY) should have a pricing guide on thier site to go by( did I miss it?), no I'm not bashing OLY , just lets be up front about it, please.
    Available on iPad and iPhone devices in the Ibook store app
    My Book
    Funny things birds do!
    By Peter Agostini

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Called Olympus this morning. They had overlooked my extended warranty papers included with the camera. So now it is a waiting game until the E1 is back in hand. I sure miss it!!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

They sent me a reply and asked that I send the camera back again for another look. Will see how things develop. I'm thinking positive.

Received my E1 back today. Well, file me under the unhappy with Olympus Service experience.
    Several things make me feel this way.
    1. They overlooked the enclosed extended warranty paperwork and sent me an estimated invoice. (Had to call them to straighten that out.)
    2. While they did reglue the grip, they left residue on the red IR cover on the front of the camera. (Will try cleaning it myself.)
    3. They failed to clean the sensor and finder, nor any other part of the camera. (Tested a shot of the sky at f/22, same spot in same location as before. Also dust within finder, though I've never removed the focus screen.)

Shame on you Olympus!!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Thumbs up Re: Service experience?

Ok, things are good again. Received the E1 earlier today and have been shooting some images here and there. Didn't look for the service report until a few minutes ago to see what they had done. Turns out they replaced both the sensor unit and finder unit. Hmm, for a few specs of dust? Not that I'm complaining, who knows what might have occurred while the technician was cleaning both items. Then again maybe their policy is to replace them instead of risking damage or excessive time cleaning?

Thank you Olympus, I'm a very happy shooter.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I realize that this is an older post, but I missed it the first few times around. OlyNik, I'm glad your camera is home safe and happy.

I just want to add a positive experience with Nortown in Mississauga, a suburb of Toronto. I sent my E-1 in for its end-of-warrany spa visit (read: grip replacement) and mentioned a problem with it freezing. Not only did they clean everything up for me, and fix the grip, but they also replaced the main logic board. It didn't fix the freezes, which I've traced to the CF cards, but there you are.

What really set them apart was that I needed the camera back for a wedding. (the first and last I've ever photographed.) When they couldn't get the parts in time to have the camera serviced, they were happy to return it to me instead. All the while they were cheerful and helpful. I'd definitely use them again.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I've sent in two flashes, two flash grips, and one 50-200mm lens for service at the Cypress, CA repair center. I drop things. (But my E-1 & 7-14 are still holding up just fine!)

They aren't particularly cheap, but the stuff always come back in working condition and turnaround time has been great each and every time. I don't think I've ever been without my gear for more than two weeks at a stretch. The first FL-50 and flash grip I sent in ended up being replaced completely with a new-in-the-box product.

The only thing I was disappointed with was the lens service on the 50-200mm lens. That turned out to be completely unnecessary, because the problem I was seeing with the lens not being recognized turned out to be due to a few loose screws on my E-1's lens mounting plate. Still, I can't blame them for servicing the lens when the customer sends it in asking for a repair, but I do wish I had put that $350 towards another lens.