14-42/3.5-5.6
    40-150/4.0-5.6
    OM2n
    FL-36
    Various Zuiko Lenses

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Steves Digicams E-510 Review

I rather read the reviews from Tony and the users on this site. You get better information.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I kind of liked reading what Steve's wrote. Not so much a review of the camera itself, but a review of all it is and does. Pretty lengthy, not not too lengthy. And some good pics of the camera, and by the camera.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I've always liked his site and have tended to look forward to the reviews. Lately, though, the reviews have been slow in coming and the sample images tend not to be as good as they were in the past. It's almost as if someone else is doing the reviews.

The E-510 review, while very positive, also had a big error in it (haven't checked to see if they've fixed it yet). He talks about the new kit lenses, but put in photos of the old ones.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Really, I think it was a good review. Nothing bad to say about the camera.
    But thank you for the compliment.
    I come from a different place than other "reviewers" I was first a photographer, 2nd now I am a extensive owner of the 4/3 system. I know more about these cameras, than many of the Olympus Executives.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Steve's reviews seem to be proof read by Olympus some times. Your reviews use the current lenses and show good and bad. You discuss details that help use the camera better.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I find the critique of the liveview a bit frustrating. Comparisons to P+S cameras just don't seem helpful or relevant. SLRs are just a different beast. Steve's sort of set up a straw man in this regard. The line went something like 'liveview is aimed at point and shoot upgraders.' 'Liveview doesn't work as well as point and shoot, so why would you bother?' Is Oly really aiming it at attracting the P+S crowd? Why can't the reviewers get their heads around accepting it on its own terms instead of these unhelpful comparisons?
    Alex H.
    Olympus E-500
    Zuiko 14-45, 12-60, 35 macro
    FL-36R Flash
    Aperture, iPhoto for iPad, Pixelmator

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I read about Liveview. I am used to using the view finder while shooting. I turn off the LCD to save battery life. I shoot in RAW. What is the benefit of Liveview in E-510?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Liveview does have a place.
    #1 Macro - It really helps when trying to gain precise focus on a subject. Also when your camera is very low to the ground, you don't have to get on your belly. (But the E-330 with its movable screen was better in this regard)
    #2 Hell Mary shots - When you hold a camera over your head - you can sort of see what is going on, So you at least have some idea about what is going on.
    #3 the view finder at this point is much better - But really I think that the dropping the mirror to focus and meter, is just as bad as a Point and shoot - It isn't very good for casual shooting. But if you need it, use it. I wouldn't say its any worst than a P&S with shutter lag, but neither is as useful as a viewfinder.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I am printing my mother the pictures from Stockholm on my Epson RX620 in 8x11. I am planning a trip to Italy and Austria for next year. We want to go on our own instead of a planned tour or cruise.

I am 6' 3" so I usually don't need to hold it over my head to get a shot. Usually, I will help others get a decent picture because I can see over most people. So I take a shot for them. I don't do much macro shooting. I guess Olympus won't like me for not using LiveView. I rather have had them increase the CCD size and improve ISO1600 for my church shooting.

I learn to shoot in Aperture and Shutter modes on E-500. I bought the better 14-54 and 50-200 lenses from Olympus and added the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 lense. I have not used the Sigma yet. Planning on practicing at The Henry Ford for next year. I am glad IS on E-510 will help my shooting.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

I don't think that the system can work with a larger CCD - It would defeat the plusses of the chip size - The lenses are designed for the chip size. If it was bigger we would have a lot of issues of C.A. vig. distortion, etc.
    Really the Size seems set, at least at this time, Really I am quite pleased with the ISO 1600 settings, It is highly improved with the new cameras. But time will tell.
    Over all, I think in the next few years we will continue to see solutions to issues such as diffraction, and high ISO. Every system has a trade off, but personally I have made my choices.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by tspore View Post
    Liveview does have a place.
    #1 Macro - It really helps when trying to gain precise focus on a subject. Also when your camera is very low to the ground, you don't have to get on your belly. (But the E-330 with its movable screen was better in this regard)
    #2 Hell Mary shots - When you hold a camera over your head - you can sort of see what is going on, So you at least have some idea about what is going on.
    #3 the view finder at this point is much better - But really I think that the dropping the mirror to focus and meter, is just as bad as a Point and shoot - It isn't very good for casual shooting. But if you need it, use it. I wouldn't say its any worst than a P&S with shutter lag, but neither is as useful as a viewfinder.
    I'd like to add:
    #4: it's great for focussing manual lenses, otherwise not too easy through the viewfinder
    #5: LiveView with an IR-filter on allows you to focus exactly on IR which otherwise would be a problem (in IR light, focus slightly differs from visible light so focussing with AF when the filter's off won't give you correct focus, you'd have to work around that with stopping down which again creates other problems like extreme long shutter time and increased problems with hot spots)
    #6: on the tripod, LiveView certainly is a big help as it allows you to adjust the camera without having to look through the VF from time to time: you just turn LV on

on the other hand, E-510 & 410 don't offer the mode A of the E-330 which would cure the "shutter lag" problem as LV on the new models is only equivalent mode B on E-330; but consider, it's the same for 1DsMkIII (there LV too only works with mirror flapping), and consider too, that mode A on E-330 comes with a compromise, it makes the viewfinder darker
    Cheers, Herman

sokolblog

Thanks
    Feedback Score

The most important use of LiveView is to show the live histogram before metering/shooting a subject with difficult lighting. It will show you what area(s) of your image will be over/underexposed and will point you in the direction of how best to meter you image or reframe out difficult areas. Set metering to spot, turn on LiveView and cycle through the info display until you reach histogram. The LiveView display will show you the histogram real time and preshot of any spot in your subject matter that you point the central focusing point at. If you're finicky or at least like to control blown highlights this is the ultimate tool for you.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score

E.B.,

If I shoot in RAW, would I still need to rely on the histogram as much? Most of the objects I am shooting are pictures and buildings. Maybe a night shot of the same. I read about the using the histograms in CS2 and know how to adjust them in CS2.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

In a single word, yes.

Shooting RAW format gives you a lot more latitude to remedy exposure and other image problems in post processing than shooting JPG format would. Nevertheless, correcting the image in post processing is always a second best option to getting it right in the initial exposure when the issue is blown highlights or lowlights.

If the post processing were to involve other issues such as correcting the geometry of an image (e.g. leveling the horizon or straightening the sides of a building that you had to tip the camera up to capture) you can in many cases do a better job in post processing than the physical limitations of your camera hardware allow during the image capture process since the 4/3 system doesn't have any swing/tilt capability.

For exposure though, there is no substitute for getting it correct at the time you capture the image. As a practical matter though, many folks don't like to use or don't know how to use a histogram and substitute multiple trial images and chimping for exposure correction via the histogram and end up with just as good a final result.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I purchased the better lenses so I could start with better pictures before post processing. Any way to set the live view mode to start with the histogram open all the time on E-510? I am planning on getting it in the next few months.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Yes. Two approaches to that. LiveView opens with whatever Info display was last in use before LiveView was turned off. That should cover your needs most often on displaying the histogram with LiveView. Additionally, the E-510 has an undocumented feature that will help you. It has the capability of storing two custom resets (P. 75 of the E-510 manual.) The list of functions that are remembered in the custom reset are on P. 76 of the manual. Undocumented is the fact that the custom reset will also remember the state of any Info displays as of the time that you set the custom reset. So, if you were displaying a histogram Info display on LiveView when LiveView was last turned off and then set the custom reset function, every time you later call up that custom reset the Info display will immediately show the live histogram as soon as you turn LiveView on.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Nice. I usually read the book before unwrapping the camera to begin with. How accurate are the histograms? Anything I need to know about using them in low light conditions. I usually shoot in A mode and S-AF in darker conditions. Noise reduction does not work in RAW like E-500?

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I also read the manual from end to end before examining the camera. By the way, you can download a copy of it from here:

http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/...wnload/manual/

I find the LiveView live histogram in the camera to be extremely accurate. I differentiate between that and the post image capture Info histogram display which is much smaller and harder to read and which I haven't spent much/any time determining its accuracy now that the live histogram is available to me.

Using LiveView and its histogram in low light is easier than using it in sunlight in general terms. The lighting of your final image can be judged by the LiveView image on the screen and any exposure compensation adjustments are accurately reflected there. However, in extremely low lighting you may need to use LiveView boost (P.79) which precludes an accurate view of any exposure compensation settings on the LiveView screen, although the difference should appear accurately in the histogram. Personally, I have no experience with that yet on the E-510.

I don't know what you're referring to on Noise Reduction working on RAW like the E-500. I haven't experienced the Noise Reduction function working on the E-510 yet as I haven't been shooting any very long exposures. The E-510 does allow you to turn Noise Reduction on permanently and the camera will use it when it's appropriate (P. 62-63) and that is the way I have it set up on my camera.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score

E.B.,

Does the mirror drop between live view and exposure without regard to focus and exposure settings? In other words, if you have exposure set to manual and auto-focus turned off there would be no reason for the mirror to drop between live view and exposure. Does it still drop even under these conditions?

This mirror drop isn't a minor issue. It would really negate the usefulness of live view for shooting studio portraits if you had a delay and a double mirror slap (down and up) between trigger actuation and shutter release. Anyone who has worked in a studio shooting portraits should understand why this is a problem. Take for example using the old Mamyia 6X7cm SLR with loud mirror slap that triggers an involuntary blink in your subject after just a few cycles of slap strobe, slap strobe ... we used to lock the mirror up after focusing to minimize the delay and the noise.

Clay

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by cstirlingbartholomew View Post
    E.B.,

Does the mirror drop between live view and exposure without regard to focus and exposure settings? In other words, if you have exposure set to manual and auto-focus turned off there would be no reason for the mirror to drop between live view and exposure. Does it still drop even under these conditions?
    Yes, you get a mirror slap under those conditions. I just tried it to make sure. However, under studio conditions you might not need to use LiveView more than once, at least if you're using it to check exposure. That's probably no more disruptive than waving an incident light meter in front of the subjects face? If you're using it to check composition, then you're got a problem. You'll get the mirror slap every time. I have no experience using the camera tethered and can't comment intelligibly on that but it may offer a solution?
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score

E.B.,

Your right. You don't need continuous live view under studio conditions because you are typically not at the camera once you have set up the shot. So it would be no more nuisance than just shooting with any SLR.

Thank you for your answer.

Clay

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Live View in Macro

Quote Originally Posted by E Bd View Post
    I find the LiveView live histogram in the camera to be extremely accurate. I differentiate between that and the post image capture Info histogram display which is much smaller and harder to read ...
    Hello EB. PMJI. Since the E-510 two weeks ago I have found myself nearly unable to put it down. It is a pleasure to use and has many virtues as many have documented here.

However, the 2.5 inch LCD. I have been bugged as well by the issue you raise: the post image histogram. I have found it very difficult to read in exactly the situations where I need it the most, that is in bright light were I'm am apt to blow the hightlights (and all the issues this entails even or especially in RAW). In this situtation I find the LCD very diffcult to read. Apparently it is a combined issue of low light output and reflectivity. But even finding favorable shelter to read it, the RBG graphs are very small and hard to make out. Inside it is no trouble, but outside unless the data is piled up to the right (ie, hightlights blown!) I cannot tell readily how much headroom I have in each channel and so cannot easily adjust exposure to maximize right shift short of overexposure.

Using the Live View histogram, as you indicate, may be the answer. I have just started experimenting with that as you suggest.

Double mirror slap: I have been using Live View for macro, turning it off after critical focus so I don't get that vibration inducing double mirror slap, and using antishock to prevent any vibration and these magnifications. This is OK once the coordination comes round to push the right buttons in the right sequence ... but that is not entirely trivial, at least at first.

After two macro sessions I became hooked on Live View. It is heads and shoulders better than using a $200 right angle finder. No comparison. So I find myself with my best macro lenses for Canon (60mm macro, 180mm macro and 300mm f/4 with tubes and/or TC) and the best viewfinder with Olympus (50mm macro, 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 with EX and ET - f/2.8 is not a virtue as an effective f/8 or f/11 is the standard to maximize DOF)!

Maybe, just maybe, the Sigma 150mm macro is the answer. It wasn't enough working distance for small flying bugs at 1.6X crop (180m is), but maybe it would work at 2.0X. Alas, Sigma doesn't make a FT 180mm, only the 150mm. It is hard for me to accept Sigma's build quality compared to Oly's, but that is another issue entirely.

Anyway, I am finding that for macro Live View is a quick addiction!
    E-1, E-300, E-330, E-420, E-510
    www.pbase.com/jtsmall

'From the first moment I handled my lens with a tender ardour.' Julia Margaret Cameron

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Live View in Macro

Glad you're enjoying it. I've boosted the illumination of the LiveView display two notches to assist me in reading it in the outdoor lighting conditions you describe. As for the postexposure RGB histograms, I also find them too small to be useful. If I need a postexposure evaluation of the highlights I depend on the blinking highlight display. That will at least show what is blown though the magnitude of the illumination problem is not indicated. I still prefer the LiveView live histogram preexposure display as the best indicator of exposure and it helps in that it is quite large and legible.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Live View in Macro

Yes, boosting the illumination seems a next step. I think, beside the small scale of the graphs, the dark gray background surrounded by ever so slightly darker gray background renders the limits of the graph indistinct to my eye. So, I too toggle through to the highlight and shadow screens. Now, if I had had a vote, I would have asked for the first info screen to show something of value, like the f/stop, shutter speed, ISO, etc. along with the full photo ... even dare I say it, a full photo of the blown highlights -and- shadows flashing. With the next screen to be the RBG graphs.

It almost sounds like I don't like the E-510. But that is not true. So much is so right and superior to what the competition offers. More like the camera was designed by photographers for photographers ... except in this instance of critical quickly accessible exposure information.

Odd it seems to me. Then again, maybe some wrinkles will be worked out with firmware changes.

Have you posted your impressions of the E-510? A review like you did with the E-330? It is one I would very much like to read!
    E-1, E-300, E-330, E-420, E-510
    www.pbase.com/jtsmall

'From the first moment I handled my lens with a tender ardour.' Julia Margaret Cameron