Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Default Re: Picture Window Pro now supports E-410/E-510

Great news, Thanks E B

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I bought Picture Window Pro, but for the sole purpose of doing specific manipulation of 16 bit TIFF images, rather than anything else. It is also one of the slowest RAW converters about, even Master 2 is faster, and has one of the quirkiest interfaces know to man.

Cheers

Ray

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Well, we bought PWP for the same reason and I find it works very well for that, although I must say that its RAW development speed on my machine is quite good. In fact I like PWPs capabilities much more than Adobe PS, particularly in color manipulation and geometry manipulation. I still prefer to use Studio as my RAW developer because of my perception of the quality of its product and, now that Studio 2 has true background batch processing capabilities, there is no effective time penalty for me to use it as a RAW developer so I'm sticking with it for that function. It's been extremely stable on my Windows machine, never having crashed for any reason. As to software interface, I'm largely indifferent to that and become acustomed to whatever interface is presented quite rapidly although, before I finally left it, I was thinking that Adobe PS was becoming quite cluttered. The only exception to my GUI indifference is SilkyPix which I've tried twice now. The first trial was when the software was very new and, more recently, just about the time you bought your license. I just can't seem to get over the language hurdle with that software. I'll try it again when they finally get the software and its manual translated into a useable English.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I finish most images using PWP for color adjustment and it's USM, both of which I have found to be the best around, for me anyway.
    The interface is horrible though, taking about 4 hits just to save a file.
    Cheers,
    Don

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I don't use PWP workflows (automated routines analagous to PS actions) myself so have no experience in this area, but is what you're doing routinely making the same adjustments to each image so you might set up a workflow which would automate the adjustments (and incidentally automatically save each image for you?)
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by E B View Post
    I just can't seem to get over the language hurdle with that software. I'll try it again when they finally get the software and its manual translated into a useable English.
    Yes, Silkypix has its quirks as far as the interface goes, but somewhat understandable given the language issues. Oddly enough, it didn't take me very long at all to come to grips with the Silkypix interface, which I found surprising, considering the issues I still have with PWP.

After some playing around with Silkypix and TIFF files, I'm finding that it may well provide me with pretty much all I need as an editor, though Capture One still has some speed features that I may not be able to live without. One thing surprised me was the nice way Silkypix converts images to B&W, the tones seem even better than what PWP can achieve and much better than PSP. Though it's still early days.

Chers

Ray

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Well, this turned out to be a profitable discussion for me. I've reviewed the literature and now learned something about PWP workflows and they are pretty easy to set up on-the-fly or to save and reuse as needed. The good news is if you are only setting levels and doing simple color correction and identical sharpening and then saving to TIFF you can automate the process easily. The bad news comes in two flavors; first, if you want to individually adjust the color of each image the procedures don't lend themselves to a PWP workflow and secondly that PWP performs workflows in the foreground and not in the background so it does tie up the computer.

On the other hand, PWP workflows can be complex in ways that I haven't explored yet, such as setting up one workflow whose final product can be automatically fed as the input to another workflow.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by OzRay View Post
    Yes, Silkypix has its quirks as far as the interface goes, but somewhat understandable given the language issues. Oddly enough, it didn't take me very long at all to come to grips with the Silkypix interface, which I found surprising, considering the issues I still have with PWP.
    The difference between us probably is reflected in our approach to new hardware/software. I tend to read every bit of literature available before I attempt the use of the hardware/software. PWP has extensive and good literature and I like the software. Silkypix is not equally blessed with good literature and I don't favor the software.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by E B View Post
    The difference between us probably is reflected in our approach to new hardware/software. I tend to read every bit of literature available before I attempt the use of the hardware/software. PWP has extensive and good literature and I like the software. Silkypix is not equally blessed with good literature and I don't favor the software.
    I think you're correct there, I only ever read instructions as a last resort.

Cheers

Ray