Thread: Silkypix Developer Studio 3

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Silkypix Developer Studio 3

Being totally frustrated with Phase One for being so slow with updates and now it appearing that version 4 will not support E410/E510 files (and likely the same with the E1 replacement), I decided to have a look at Silkypix Developer Studio 3.

From past experience, Silkypix probably gave the closest rendition of colours next to Viewer/Studio, but the interface was, for me, way too clunky and slow. Nevertheless, I decided to download the latest version and give it a go. After several hours of using it on both E1 and E410 files, I ended up buying it (still waiting for the registration code). It actually isn't that bad and the features that I've discovered so far are:

- It renders thumbnails pretty much as fast as C1.
    - It remembers settings even after closing, like C1.
    - You can do image tagging just like with C1 (and more).
    - You can do adjustments to groups of selected images, just like C1.
    - You can adjust thumbnails to any size you want.
    - Adjustment of colours, WB, sharpness etc are quite quick and there is actually more flexibility than with C1.
    - The batch renaming tool is pretty good.
    - You can save development parameters for re-use if required.
    - I like the fact that you can access most controls by right clicking the mouse.
    - You can crop images like with C1.
    - You can rotate images, which you can only do with C1 Pro.
    - You can do some very fine adjustments to all settings.
    - You can have all the control panels floating, which means if you have two monitors or one very large one, you can set up the panels a lot better.

There's naturally a learning curve involved because the interfaces are fairly different, but it didn't take me all that long to understand the essentials. Capture One version 4 is supposed to be very fast, but what's the point if it can't read your files and it takes over six months to do updates.

I just can’t be without a RAW converter for the E410 (and the E1 replacement when it arrives later this year) and Silkypix seems to do a reasonable job. If I really warm to Silkypix, I’m probably not going to bother with Capture One anymore, as I’ve almost had it with their stuffing around.

Cheers

Ray

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Default Re: Silypix Developer Studio 3

I have also just got my reg code for SP 3.0. The fractured English in the manual is compensated for by the lovely colours I am getting after reprocessing some raw that I originally dev in LightRoom. There is loads of room for fine tuning and it appears after short use to have all the LR features and more.
    Bill Shinnick
    Pana GH1; 7-14; 14-140; 45; FL-36R.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Lightroom can do all that and more, and thus to me, is better.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 4/3_Pickles View Post
    Possibly, but I've just scratched the surface of Silkypix, so there's a lot more to find out. But that aside, it does everything that Capture One does and seems to be as fast in workflow. I don't really care about the fancy bits that other developers may give, I just need a ute, not a not a Rolls Royce.

Cheers

Ray

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 4/3_Pickles View Post
    Well, as Ray said, he's only scratched the surface of what Silkypix can actually do. There is much more to it as well. One of the specific things I've gotten quite fond of is the ability to remap the keyboard, since I hate to move between keyboard and mouse any more than necessary.
    Other things include the highlight color controller and fine color controller; I don't use them that frequently, but they're nice to have when tweaking colors.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

The only real good news I have been able to get out of Phase One in regards to Capture 1 version 4 is that they are planning a Public Beta for the end of August or early Sept.

They also mention that they are designing it to be updated faster and easier in hopes to speed up implementing new profiles.

What I love about C1 is its speed, its designed to handle the massive RAW files from medium format digital cameras and they dumped all the bloat that applications like LightRoom have that slow it down.

Lightroom is great for Portrait or low volume shooters.

I think I will end up having to buy Silkypix in the meantime as I have so many events this month that I just can't do without a E510 RAW editor but I know I will also buy C1 Version 4 when it comes out!

Kelly

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Re: Silkypix Developer Studio 3

Whatever. I don't think Lightroom has any more "fancy bits" than Sillypix or others do. And I can read the Lightroom non-fractured English manual and they don't cry and whine about demanding free cameras to do a RAW conversion process for new cameras like Sillypix does. But at least they have a reason for no conversion on new cameras, unlike Capture 1.

Don't have problems with images other than portraits either, and have done large volume work with it. Maybe I don't expect more than the sum of all the parts.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

I bought Silkypix 3 about 3 weeks ago after I got the E-410. I got the code within 30 minutes (during normal office hour).
    I am not always shoot with RAW/ORF, I like it because it can do PP on jpeg too.
    At the moment I am still a bit confused how to use the highlight controller, need more time to learn. :-D
    One question: can I have the same photo opened side by side at Silkypix (current & edited) like Master 2?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I'm a long time user of Silkypix too. Workflow is certainly excellent, and speed of processing is good.
    But what stands out for me, is that they are constantly working and improving Silkypix. At one stage, improvements were firing out almost weekly, though this has slowed recently. I'm not sure about complaints re camera updates, they seem to come quite quickly.
    What I'm meaning really, is that they are COMMITTED, unlike some of the larger producers. I also found after I first bought Silkypix, they answered within a few hours a few queries I had (mainly because I had trouble with the manual), and this was very reassuring.
    Cheers,
    Don

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Tha inability to open two photos side by side like in Capture One, was the first semi-major shortfall that I noticed, though yesterday it didn't affect me as badly as it might have. In Capture One, I can effectively have two screens open and scroll through all my thumbnails while the other photo stays put. This make it so easy to identify players by finding them in another shot with their number revealed.

The other shortfall I found with Silkypix is that I can't scroll through the thumbnails (in the preview pane) using the mouse wheel, it just scrolls through each screen. I might write to Silkypix and see if they might consider this as a potential upgrade. Otherwise, I found that Silkypix worked very well indeed in sorting, adjusting and batch processing my photos. Though it won't allow me to keep working on my files while batch processing. That said, I think it batch processed a bunch of shots a lot faster than Capture One. I also have to say that I quite like the way you can adjust shots for colour, sharpness etc, with results that are in many ways better than Capture One.

Cheers

Ray