Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Olympus around the Globe

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Default Olympus around the Globe

I am not sure where to post this so the most will see it but I will try here.
    I have an idea that I have seen on other sites that has worked well. I have PMed Tony and he has given me the green light to try it.
    I want to send a camera around the world through the members here at fourthirdsphoto.
    Here's how it would work. I would buy a cheap Olympus P&S camera. I would take a few pictures of my Hometown and then post them here in a special thread created by the Mods. I would then box the camera up and mail it to the next member on the list, and so on until it has went around the world and back to me. There is no need to post everyones address on the site, the only one to have your address would be the next on the list. We can keep the camera moving through PMs.
    I would need to make a route for the camera and I would need your country, city, state, to make the route. But not your address.
    I would like the camera to visit as many places in the world that it could. Each member could keep the camera for a week or so and then pass it on. There should also be a limit to only seven pictures or so to keep the thread from getting full. I will set a deadline for signing on if I get enough intrest and iron out all of the other details too. So how about it. Do you want to play??????
    Cosmo

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Re: Olympus around the Globe

I am game, I would love to give it a go. Great Idea.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I like the idea but (I do not want to spoil the fun) how about customs and taxes when sending a parcel with a camera to different countries?
    If that poses no problems I am willing to participate.
    Luc

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    I like the idea but (I do not want to spoil the fun) how about customs and taxes when sending a parcel with a camera to different countries?
    If that poses no problems I am willing to participate.
    Luc
    As far as taxes I don't think they will be any. And customs. I have shipped over seas before and all you do is fill out a form declaring the package contents. The shipping isn't as high as one would think. People do it on e-bay all of the time. I would ask for a volunteer member to ship overseas and make sure when the route was made that the member that volunteered would ship over seas.
    Cosmo

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Cosmo,

Don't expect any problem with Customs in New Zealand, so I'm in.

Cheers,
    Alec

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 3dpan View Post
    Cosmo,

Don't expect any problem with Customs in New Zealand, so I'm in.

Cheers,
    Alec

Good deal. I will set a deadline to sign up if we get a few more to play. Any one else? Did I post this in the right forum for all to see?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

You will have tax issues, based on the declared value, unless you make it clear to customs that the contents are being lent and not given to the recipient. It'll be necessary to be careful when shipping to ensure the proper forms are affixed, as the standard stickers don't have a way to specify this. (At least not from the countries I've shipped between so far.)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Surely it should be a DSLR to qualify on our forum ?

I realise it weighs more and that is a consideration for international freight, but if the route is organised beforehand with some authorised diversions along the way, there shouldnt need to be any long hauls and therefore the freight cost wouldn't be much anyway.

Plus members can use their own lens of choice to make it more interesting ?

How about a used E300 body only - rugged, solid and cheap.

So maybe the starting point is the person who offers up their old E300 - now I a couple here so that could be a start - but then it was your idea so it would only be fair that you started it !

Cheers

Rally

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by rally View Post
    Surely it should be a DSLR to qualify on our forum ?

I realise it weighs more and that is a consideration for international freight, but if the route is organised beforehand with some authorised diversions along the way, there shouldnt need to be any long hauls and therefore the freight cost wouldn't be much anyway.

Plus members can use their own lens of choice to make it more interesting ?

How about a used E300 body only - rugged, solid and cheap.

So maybe the starting point is the person who offers up their old E300 - now I a couple here so that could be a start - but then it was your idea so it would only be fair that you started it !

Cheers

Rally
    I have no problem with an old body if someone wants to donate one. I just thought a P&S would work incase it gets lost or broken. But if nobody comes forward with a DSLR we will just use a P&S. I will at least stick with an Olympus brand. The one that donates the camera would have to understand they may never get it back.
    Cosmo

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

If anyone has an old E300 please PM me I'll buy it, I need a backup for my E500.

I would for sure use an Olympus brand camera, I think a Point and Shoot would be fine. I shipped a package to Germany and I didn't get taxed?
    Olympus E510

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Tyson -

You might want to ask this same question over in the Buy & Sell forum - probably a better chance of getting a reply.
    Best Regards, Jim

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

But for now. Who wants to play? Raise your hand.......

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I have received some used books from the US, and so far there have been no problems with customs, however, when shipping into the EU taxes may be a problem. If the camera is cheep one it most like will pass, as some amounts are simply to small to be worth administrating. But remember that there's also tax on the amount charges for the delivery.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I'll play as long as its a point and shoot - I don't have any 4/3 lenses (yet).

Alex
    Alex H.
    Olympus E-500
    Zuiko 14-45, 12-60, 35 macro
    FL-36R Flash
    Aperture, iPhoto for iPad, Pixelmator

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ox Online View Post
    I'll play as long as its a point and shoot - I don't have any 4/3 lenses (yet).

Alex

Ok, I think then we will plan on using a P&S. If you want to throw in a couple of pictures with your DSLR then that is fine.
    I will set the deadline to sign up at midnight September 9. Please PM me your country, state and city. Once I get them all I will make a route and post it for all to see.
    I guess if you play you will have to be willing to ship over seas but I can arrange the route if you are uncomfortable being the one that ship over seas. Or if you have a friend that you would like to send the camera to please request it. I like the idea though of a placeing small gift for the next member in the box.
    I want this to be fun and stress free. No set rules on what pictures you take. Nothing rated R or X though.LOL. Keep it light and keep the camera long enough to do what you want but remember they are other people waiting.
    If someone has a camera to donate I have no problem with the starting point being the one who donates it. I would be nice if the camera used aa batteries since they are easy to get. Also include a memory card just big enough to hold a few pictures. But I certaintly don't mind rounding a camera up. I think 5mp or smaller would be fine. The cheaper the more fun if you ask me.
    Cosmo

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Hi Cosmo,

Thanks for advocating such an interesting idea. However, we limit our "Technical Discussion" forum to topics that relate to 4/3rds camera gear and the idea in this thread is "off topic" because it centers on a P&S camera. This is why it was moved to our "Chit-Chat" forum which allows for off topic conversation.

Again, thanks for the idea. It should be a lot of fun for all who participate.
    Best regards, FL

Pursuing excellence...

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I like the idea, but why not make it a virtual camera tour instead since we all have this nice Oly DSLR, some even more than one?? We could agree to shoot all at the same focus length to have some consistency in the images.
    Regards,
    Henk
    ---------------------------------------
    photography is my passion
    you are invited to visit my gallery at http://mordisco.smugmug.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Im in. Once its ready send it to me as im on the far east of Canada and really don't mind sending over seas. I do believe that making a single P&H camera go around the world is a super great idea.

To the others, about tax's, look, just declare it to be worth 5$ and youl pay about .75 and if a miserable dollar is the only thing holding you back, well just dont go at Tim Hortons for a day and youl be all set or squeegee normally pay .25 a car.
    Visit my smugmug at http://milesimages.smugmug.com/
    Comments and voting are very much welcome.
    If ive offended any one on the forums, note that i will make my self very available to place a football between my butt cheeks and have you kick it as far as humanly possible. Thank you.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Noise_Filter View Post
    Im in. Once its ready send it to me as im on the far east of Canada and really don't mind sending over seas. I do believe that making a single P&H camera go around the world is a super great idea.

To the others, about tax's, look, just declare it to be worth 5$ and youl pay about .75 and if a miserable dollar is the only thing holding you back, well just dont go at Tim Hortons for a day and youl be all set or squeegee normally pay .25 a car.
    Good deal RF. I will add you to the list......

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Hey Cosmonaut, may i please know how many are on the list?
    Visit my smugmug at http://milesimages.smugmug.com/
    Comments and voting are very much welcome.
    If ive offended any one on the forums, note that i will make my self very available to place a football between my butt cheeks and have you kick it as far as humanly possible. Thank you.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Noise_Filter View Post
    Hey Cosmonaut, may i please know how many are on the list?
    Counting me and you 6. But please everyone theat wants in PM me.....

Thanks
    Feedback Score

This is definitely nice idea and I would gladly participate in!

However, I also think there will be problems with customs, especially the EU guys will quickly realize that From my own experience, I can tell you that small things (like batteries, memory cards or filters) are usually not a problem (if properly declared). But anything bigger and too "electronic" is carefully inspected by the customs officers. Not to mention, that according of the EU laws, you cannot bring the used electronic from outside the EU (if it's not in your possession)! And also any underdeclared or undervalued item is usually quickly revealed.

Maybe if you send it in a really small box declared as "broken camera for repair", it may work? But again, it may (or may not) hit on a EU legislation regarding the electronic waste We are living in strange times...
    Oly E400 + OM 50/1.4 & OM 135/2.8
    ---
    http://www.pbase.com/odklizec

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

What if it comes from France, Canada, England. I could arrange the list so it comes from a safe country? It might add to the fun sneaking around customs.LOL
    Cosmo

Thanks
    Feedback Score

SENT PM
    AFRICA IN

Cutoms once witin the EU should be easy it is when it comes from ME in South Africa that it could be problem... We can also get people to meet that are traveliing ?

we did this with a flag with the Camel Trophy Owners Club -(Land Rovers that was used in the CT events ) around the world - no problem..

But it should also be not to bad if the value is cheap and the digicam is small as to not think VALUEABLE from both admin and crooks perspective..

Photo's must feauture self porttrait and some local scene's - creative YES - but the idea of 1 cam doing it around the world in 80 days I don't we should aim for that record but there should be time limits ...
    South Africa 2010 I was here

E1 since 2004
    E330, E420 soon E-5
    14-54, 50-200, 40-150, 11-22, 8mm
    NEW 150mm f2 & 1.4x
    FL36, Metz
    few odds and ends

SWAMBO E-PL1
    m4/3 - 20mm Pana for me, 14-150 for her

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Thanks for the PMs. This is going to be fun. More international than I thought.......Sweet.
    Cosmo