Thread: Does Paint Shop Pro Support 16 Bits/channel...

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Default Does Paint Shop Pro Support 16 Bits/channel...

...really?

I have been using PSP 8 and PSP 9 for almost all my PP until now. Although PSP 8 and 9 were said to support 16 bit per channel colour depth, I found that the support was limited to being able to open 16 bit TIFFs but not saving them again in 16 bits. Also, the editing tools (at least those I use) seems to work only in 8 bit colour space...

So, now I wonder if they have developed the 16 bit editing in the later versions.

Also, Jasc's first implementations of RAW conversions were really poor IMO. Have there been any progress under Corel?

It would be so convenient if one could use one software for all PP instead of having to use 2-4 different ones. (Yes, I know... PS-CS3 is the answer... but I really don't like the price that they are asking for it.)

Cheers, Jens.
    Motto: Wildlife won't come to me unless I go to it.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    My Wildlife Photos: jensbirch.smugmug.com

E-5, E-3, E-510, IR-E-1 ,E-P2
    ZD: 7-14, 14-54, 50, 50-200 SWD, 90-250/2.8, 300/2.8, EC-14, EC-20
    Peleng 8mm fisheye, shift Tamron SP 17/3.5, Tokina AT-X 300/2.8
    FL-50R, FL-40, FL-20, HLD-2, HLD-4, cleaved ZD EX-25 w. electric bypass, 250D, 500D, KatzEye Plus OptiBrite
    Feisol CT-3472LV and CM-1471

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Re: Does Paint Shop Pro Support 16 Bits/channel...

Yes it does, but some effects and plug-ins don't work with 16 bit files. RAW conversion is still a waste of space. That's why I got Picture Window Pro, but it can be a pain to use.

However, I've discovered that Silkypix seems to work quite well with 16 bit TIFF files etc and provides many of the features that I use in PSP XI. I haven't tried everything out in Silkypix, but PSP may be another application that might start gathering dust.

Cheers

Ray

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Thanks Ray,

I just downloaded Silkypix and I agree with you that it does a very nice job on RAW images, I may invest in that instead of Studio 2 since Olympus haven't sent me any upgrade code yet. I didn't see any layer capability in Silkypix though so I guess PSP will still be part of my toolbox. I may thus buy v. XI just to have an affordable photo processor that can handle layers in 16 bits. I like the fact that PSP has a similar way as PSCS in doing most advanced processing steps. It makes it easier to follow any of the many tutorials often given in magazines or on the web. PSP even accepts a majority of the PS-plugins out there.

I haven't tried PWP in many years but it was pretty straight-forward back then, once having gone-through a couple of tutorials. It is admittedly definitely NOT a PS-clone. How did you like the quality of its RAW conversions?

Cheers, Jens.

FL-50R, FL-40, FL-20, HLD-2, HLD-4, cleaved ZD EX-25 w. electric bypass, 250D, 500D, KatzEye Plus OptiBrite

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jebir View Post
    Thanks Ray,

I just downloaded Silkypix and I agree with you that it does a very nice job on RAW images, I may invest in that instead of Studio 2 since Olympus haven't sent me any upgrade code yet. I didn't see any layer capability in Silkypix though so I guess PSP will still be part of my toolbox. I may thus buy v. XI just to have an affordable photo processor that can handle layers in 16 bits. I like the fact that PSP has a similar way as PSCS in doing most advanced processing steps. It makes it easier to follow any of the many tutorials often given in magazines or on the web. PSP even accepts a majority of the PS-plugins out there.

I haven't tried PWP in many years but it was pretty straight-forward back then, once having gone-through a couple of tutorials. It is admittedly definitely NOT a PS-clone. How did you like the quality of its RAW conversions?

Cheers, Jens.
    I'm very impressed with Silkypix and they've come a long way since their first iterations, which I didn't like. Since I don't do layers, I'm generally happy with what Silkypix can do, but I still have to do more experimenting to determine whether PSP is completely unnecessary. I do like PSP for creating web images, being able to quickly scale images etc.

I bought PWP to do better B&W conversions of 16 bit TIFF files, but haven't really used it much because I haven't been doing much personal work for a while. Silkypix seems to do very nice B&W conversions, so PWP may well become redundant.

I did some comparisons of RAW conversion between PWP and Silkypix and there isn't any really (ie Silkypix is much better). The results from PWP are certainly streets ahead of anything PSP can do, but the speed is abysmal. I don't think it was ever really designed for this anyway.

Cheers

Ray

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

As Ray has said PSP really shows its limitations when considering RAW and 16 bit handling. I was a great fan of PSP but have not upgraded from X. I am another convert to Silkypix.
    Bill Shinnick
    Pana GH1; 7-14; 14-140; 45; FL-36R.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Hi Bill,

I understood Ray's response as PSP XI generally supports 16 bits (which my PSP 9 doesn't). Are you of a different oppinion?

Cheers, Jens.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Hi Bill,

I understood Ray's response as PSP XI generally supports 16 bits (which my PSP 9 doesn't). Are you of a different oppinion?

Cheers, Jens.
    It does, but not for all functions. I don't know why, but that's the weird way it works.

Cheers

Ray

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Hi Ray,

can it save to 16 bit TIFF?

Sorry for such detailed questions. I could download the demo but I am just so tired of installing/uninstalling softwares by now just because the makers are too lasy to make a full decent specification on their website.

Cheers, Jens.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Hi Bill,

Cheers, Jens.
    As Ray said some plugins work in 16 and some only in 8 bit. It is not a full implementation as in Photoshop.
    Bill Shinnick
    Pana GH1; 7-14; 14-140; 45; FL-36R.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Yes you can with PSP XI Jens, some tools like the clone brush do not work in 16 bit but you can change back to 16 bit mode after working with such a tool. TIFFs are saved including EXIF. You can work in layers in 16 bit. I always use PSP XI as part of the workflow, I convert using Bibble to 16 bit TIFF and then work on the TIFF in PSP XI first straightening the horizon, choose the proper crop and then run a script that takes me through levels, curves, saturation, resizing for web, adding copyright mark and finally USM.
    Regards,
    Henk
    ---------------------------------------
    photography is my passion
    you are invited to visit my gallery at http://mordisco.smugmug.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Hi Ray,

Sorry for such detailed questions. I could download the demo but I am just so tired of installing/uninstalling softwares by now just because the makers are too lasy to make a full decent specification on their website.

Cheers, Jens.
    It can save to 16 bit, as long as you're working on a 16 bit file, but if you use an action that requires conversion to 8 bit, I don't think it will save back to 16 bit. Or if you can force it, I don't think it will have all the detail of the original 16 bit file (I don't really know how TIFF works when converting).

Cheers

Ray

Thanks
    Feedback Score

My experience of PSP X and XI is they don't support ORF files properly. Has this been fixed. I use Lightroom and PSE5 but I liked some PSP features. I gave up on it some time ago after the Corel takeover.
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by carman View Post
    My experience of PSP X and XI is they don't support ORF files properly. Has this been fixed. I use Lightroom and PSE5 but I liked some PSP features. I gave up on it some time ago after the Corel takeover.
    PSP XI wouldn't know an ORF file if it fell over one. A waste of time even trying.

Cheers

Ray