Thread: Others converting to E-510

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Others converting to E-510

Scanning through the 'other' forum which does not allow links, there are several posts from new converts from Canon/Nikon and Pentax, to the E-510, or adding the 510 to their collection and being blown away. And other newly converted are adding to the same strings.
    Compact size, kit lens quality, excellently priced quality lenses such as the 50-200...etc etc.
    Looks like Oly may have a star in their lineup, because I have never seen this after earlier releases.
    Cheers,
    Don

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Others converting to E-510

I agree. There've been a relatively high number* of positive posts by Canik users who've made the jump, and I certainly never saw that with anything before. I can't figure out what the difference is; surely not live view alone; is it the addition of IS, or perhaps word of mouth that the noise dragon has been effectively slain?

*Relative to earlier models.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

It's certainly becoming the most active forum on that site and that kind of says something.

Cheers

Ray

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I think it's the triple whammy that exists in no other camera at this time: in-body IS, dustbuster that works, and live view. That makes for great PR copy.

Besides that, the camera does feel comfortable and sturdy when you pick it up, and even shooting with S-AF in the camera shop, you get the feeling that the AF is not at all slow.

Also, you can immediately try the IS in the store, rather than having a clerk dig out an IS lens for you. When you actually try it, it is very impressive. Canikon users know what in-lens IS costs, and when they figure they can have it on all their lenses for practically nothing, I bet that's a strong draw.

The Olympus design, engineering, and marketing teams deserve a serious pat on the back (not to mention a big bonus)!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

One other point. Almost every review, especially in magazines, categorizes the E-510 as entry-level. I disagree strongly with this, when you look at the other models it is reviewed against. Featurewise, the 510 is pretty much ahead of the others, except perhaps number of focus points.
    While it's not more than a mid-range dslr, no weatherproofing, I would not call it entry level.
    The full list of features and ability to be set up as you want, may be another reason why it's going so well,
    Cheers,
    Don

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I don't really know what constitutes and 'entry' level camera, but even the E410 is packed with so many features and ability to set preferences, that in my view it's far from what I perceive to be an entry level camera.

Cheers

Ray

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Don B View Post
    One other point. Almost every review, especially in magazines, categorizes the E-510 as entry-level. I disagree strongly with this, when you look at the other models it is reviewed against. Featurewise, the 510 is pretty much ahead of the others, except perhaps number of focus points.
    While it's not more than a mid-range dslr, no weatherproofing, I would not call it entry level.
    The full list of features and ability to be set up as you want, may be another reason why it's going so well,
    Cheers,
    Don
    I agree it's no entry level camera. I think it leads the pack in technology. To me the 500 is certainly entry level. Also I feel the 510 just plain out produces great color. Green finaly looks green to me. But I have never seen a digital camera produce to color blue as well as film. They need to work on that. Blue looks to much like cyan to me.
    Cosmo

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Don B View Post
    Cheers,
    Don
    Trustedreviews agree with you, they reckoned the level of features on the E-510 meant it wasn't an entry level camera and compared it favourably against models higher in their respective ranges from other companies. Their comments did make a lot of sense especially when Nikon are stripping features out of their cameras such as the D40X (no AE bracketting, DoF preview etc.)

Also worth bearing in mind is that it's no 4/3 'fanboy' site, they really tore into the L1 and didn't seem to like it at all.

John
    Olympus E-1, Olympus E-500, Olympus E-330, Olympus DMC-L1, Olympus E-510, Olympus E-3, 7-14mm,12-60mm, 14-42mm, 14-45mm, 14-50mm(Leica), 14-54MM, Sigma 30mm, 35-100mm, 40-150mm(Mk1), 50mm (macro), 50-200mm, 'Bigma' 50-500mm, EC-14, EC-20, FL-36, FL-50, HLD-4, Lowepro Rezo 140AW, Slingshot 100AW

Panasonic GF1, GH1, 7-14mm, 14-140mm, 20mm F1.7, DMW-MA1 Nikon D700, 24-70mm F2.8, 50mm F1.4G, 70-200mm F2.8, Fuji F72EXR, Casio EX-FH100

Though I fly through the valley of death I shall feel no fear, for I am at 80,000 feet and climbing

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I think they may be calling it entry level due to the 'scene' mode. Not that it matters to me, I've sold off all of my Nikon gear since getting an E510 to go with my E1.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Nice post about going over to a 510 from both Canon and Nikon here:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/561149

There's even a post in the thread that argues that 10MP is too much--I'd not heard that before.

Rocky

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Having the E-510 "tagged" as an entry level camera is probably a good thing. When people compare all "entry level" bodies, how could the E-510 not compare well?

If it is compared to the middle tier of Canik, it would change a bit. Not saying it shouldn't fair better, but if the specs are "closer", all these media types will give the nod to Canon first, just because...

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 4/3_Pickles View Post
    Having the E-510 "tagged" as an entry level camera is probably a good thing. When people compare all "entry level" bodies, how could the E-510 not compare well?

If it is compared to the middle tier of Canik, it would change a bit. Not saying it shouldn't fair better, but if the specs are "closer", all these media types will give the nod to Canon first, just because...
    Good points, Craig. I'm not sure why so many people consider "entry level" a dirty phrase.

Of course the 410/510 are entry-level bodies. The price makes them relatively painless for DSLR first-timers to buy, and the many modes are reassuring for beginning photographers. They come with light-weight, low-priced, not-so-fast lenses. The construction is very good, but not rugged enough to consider them pro cameras, and even enthusiast-level is pushing it, really.

So what? They are entry-level cameras so chock full of features that even a pro can enjoy shooting with them. Nothing wrong with that, nothing at all.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

It reminds me of getting my E-500. Entry Level? I spent under $2000 for E-500 with kit, 14-54 and 50-200 lenses. I took it to Europe last September. Everyone likes the pictures it takes. My sister got married a few months ago. I took 50 pictures. The photographer had Canon equipment that was far better than mine. My sister and her husband said my pictures were just as good.

E-1 may last 3x longer than my E-500. The E-510 body is $800 vs thousands for the a pro body. I don't take enough pictures each year to buy a camera that can last longer. I will get a E-510 for my next trip. It has many new features. My E-500 is fine. If possible, I will take it with me. I hope the IS can fix some of my issues with shake.