Thread: Olympus E-400 Important Firmware Update Request

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Craig

Default Olympus E-400 Important Firmware Update Request

Dear Olympus Europa,

by the end of 2006 you introduced the E-400 camera to the european market. This camera was a preview of things to come in spring 2007. Europe was probably used as a testbed for this, to some, stop-gap, camera. While the camera is a little gem, the firmware has been rushed and is incomplet...Read more here.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Re: Olympus E-400 Important Firmware Update Request

1. switching the camera to MF turns this off surely?
    2. Olympus Master delivers this so what's the problem? (devils advocate)
    3. you haven't got this in the 510 beyond 400 and many threads on forums around the world (including here) can't agree about implementation
    4. it's so small, light and silent (compared to 500/510) can you illustrate the practical implications?
    E-P1/E3/E30/E510/E400/7-14/12-60/14-42/14-54/S 30 1.4/35/35-100/40-150/50/50-200/EC14/EC20/EX25/2xFL50R/FL36R/RF11/SHV-1/AC-1/AC-2

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by photo_owl View Post
    1. switching the camera to MF turns this off surely?
    well, yes (I think), but that's not the point, is it.

2. Olympus Master delivers this so what's the problem? (devils advocate)
    I guess it does (studio probably as well), but why not have it available in body, like all other cameras. Since I shoot raw, it's probably redundant as well, but I know a lot of people shoot jpg and would like to see this.

3. you haven't got this in the 510 beyond 400 and many threads on forums around the world (including here) can't agree about implementation
    it's available in the e-410 and e-510. auto-ISO now is independent of flash usage. In the older models (E-400 and older), one could only use auto-ISO if flash was enabled..

4. it's so small, light and silent (compared to 500/510) can you illustrate the practical implications?
    eg. macro work and astrophotography work.
    actually everything that either has very closeup objects or longer exposure need. Even the use of a tripod won't prevent the camera shake by the mirror slap. I think this is the most important lacking feature of the E-400.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I fully agree with this request! It's unfair! The camera is not even one year old and it seems, we were already thrown over the board! There were recently released FW updates both for E410 and 510, but not for E400! And the fact is, that at least one of the problems (namely the filenaming bug) was reported months before E410/510 announcement! If nothing else, it's unfair!

The European "early adopters" paid prime price for their E400 kits. The E400 MSRP (or even the real prices) were well above the E410 MSRP. In addition, E400 has been announced during September 2006, but in some parts of Europe, it was not available in stores before late of December..early in January! So it's NOT obsolete model!

If there is something I really miss in E400 then it's "NF OFF" switch and compressed RAW. I really don't care about LV, because at first, I don't need it and at second, it's useless during bright days (due to washed out LCD)..not to mention it's slow
    Oly E400 + OM 50/1.4 & OM 135/2.8
    ---
    http://www.pbase.com/odklizec

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

1. yes it is - you can switch it off already
    2. don't disagree in principe - hence da comment
    3. 510 limits it to a maximum of 400
    4. please excuse my use of language - I meant can you show the negative impact of the mirror in the E400 in a practical image example? should be obvious if it's there.
    E-P1/E3/E30/E510/E400/7-14/12-60/14-42/14-54/S 30 1.4/35/35-100/40-150/50/50-200/EC14/EC20/EX25/2xFL50R/FL36R/RF11/SHV-1/AC-1/AC-2

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

1. yes it is - you can switch it off already

you can switch off AF, indeed. Still, 99% of the cases you would want AF, and in 80% of the cases you don't want this AF assist strobe. Of course, the best solution is to not use the internal flash at all, but sometimes you don't have an option.

3. 510 limits it to a maximum of 400

i didn't know that. Well, this calls for an update to the E510 firmware as well then

4. please excuse my use of language - I meant can you show the negative impact of the mirror in the E400 in a practical image example? should be obvious if it's there.

Not at the moment, once but I'll see what I can do. It's widely accepted that for certain aspects in photography you need MLU. Even though the E-400 is tiny, the mirror is quite large compared to the body, and I think the "mirror slap" has even more impact on the E400 than it would have in a heavier body.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by marcof View Post

Not at the moment, once but I'll see what I can do. It's widely accepted that for certain aspects in photography you need MLU. Even though the E-400 is tiny, the mirror is quite large compared to the body, and I think the "mirror slap" has even more impact on the E400 than it would have in a heavier body.
    I think the best example would be a HDR imaging. If you stack multiple exposure shots, even the small difference between the shots (caused by micro vibrations) can lead to less sharp output. Although I don't think I would use the mirror lock up on every day basis, I can clearly imagine the occasions when I would like to have it I like HDR imaging..

But I think the main point of this discussion is that the E400 is perfectly capable of all these "minor" features, like MLU, the ability to turn off the flash assistance or NR OFF. It's only a question of additional support from Olympus. But it looks that the E400 was just a test toy and EU buyers were just test rabbits. Or maybe releasing the E400 shortly before planned E410 was just a way to increase the sales figures before end of the year? Who knows? But E410 already got a FW upgrade and E400 don't..why? Because E400 is less faulty than E410? I don't think so
    ---

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by odklizec View Post
    It's only a question of additional support from Olympus. But it looks that the E400 was just a test toy and EU buyers were just test rabbits. Or maybe releasing the E400 shortly before planned E410 was just a way to increase the sales figures before end of the year? Who knows? But E410 already got a FW upgrade and E400 don't..why? Because E400 is less faulty than E410? I don't think so
    I'm afraid that this kind of neglection from Olympus side will be more and more frequent as a smaller and smaller fraction of Oly's dSLR buyers are pros or serious amateurs but merely P&S upgraders.

Historically, for the series of Camedia cameras, from C3030 to C8080, Olympus were persistently refusing to listen to the users and clearly avoided to issue any firmware upgrades that would remedy any functional bugs. (The FW updates took care of changed hardware configurations and would hence not be upgraded.) Probably most of the persons at Olympus previously working with the CX0X0 series are now working with the E-400/410/510 and there is a significant likelihood that the same principles will be applied now.

I would be very glad to be proven wrong in this negative thinking about Olympus.

So, please Olympus (if you listen), clean up your bad reputation in this department and show that you care about your loyal customers by giving out a FW update for the E-400!

Best Regards,

Jens Birch (loyal Olympus user since 1976)
    Motto: Wildlife won't come to me unless I go to it.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    My Wildlife Photos: jensbirch.smugmug.com

E-5, E-3, E-510, IR-E-1 ,E-P2
    ZD: 7-14, 14-54, 50, 50-200 SWD, 90-250/2.8, 300/2.8, EC-14, EC-20
    Peleng 8mm fisheye, shift Tamron SP 17/3.5, Tokina AT-X 300/2.8
    FL-50R, FL-40, FL-20, HLD-2, HLD-4, cleaved ZD EX-25 w. electric bypass, 250D, 500D, KatzEye Plus OptiBrite
    Feisol CT-3472LV and CM-1471

Thanks
    Feedback Score

'allo 'allo

At the Danish Olympus site - www.olympus.dk - the E-400 is now marked as a "Discontinued model" (in Danish "Udgået model"). But NOT at either the Norwegian, Swedish, German, Frensh or UK sites. The status has been changed resently.

But I too would like to se the proposed upgrades. This is one little fantastic camera - the digital OM1 (or at least OM2/10/20/4).

Then my E-400 could serve as a back up to my E-510...

niels

Another happy and almost loyal Olympus user (a beauty named Leica came into my life a few years ago;-))) since 1979.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by marcof View Post
    this certainly is true & I subscribe wholehartedly to this petition ;-)

another example where you simply cannot shoot (or, more correctly: certainly you can, but you won't get sharp images) with E-400 is for IR photography: without mirror lockup, the pictures just lack sharpness (and with IR you have to use tripod + long exposure time due to the strong IR filter of the camera): someone demonstrated this on another (german speaking) forum
    Cheers, Herman

sokolblog

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Hi there!

Yes, I think the E400 could become a modern classic. Its almost like a digital OM: Excellent so far...

However, (Olympus - are you listening?) here is one ex-Nikon user - converted by the E400 size and design and those excellent Zuiko lenses - who thinks that MLU and focus confirm would complete the picture.

I already emailed the Olympus support department about focus confirm, and had a polite but negative reply.

I live in hope however

Pete
    http://www.snaar.co.uk

A camera and .. oh dear, all these lenses.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Yes, the focus confirmation led for manual lenses is also missing in E400 and virtually in all E cameras. And the bad thing on the whole story is the fact, that it's just not enabled by marketing decision. Even Panasonic added that option to L1 and Digilux3 via the FW update, so there is not a technical difficulty to do this. Pentax and Nikon users can do that, Canon users via 3rd party adapter, so why not Olympus users? It's a shame..

There is a large discussion about this at DPReview forum..
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=24004364

Many users wrote to Olympus, but it seems, we hit on the deaf (ignorant) marketing ears. And I'm afraid, this E400 FW request will be the same case. Disappointing, because it really degrades the E400/410 to just an entry level model, which is in my opinion totally wrong marketing decision.

My decision to buy the E400 was its size (despite the lower feature set than E500 and higher price)! And from the same reason I will never buy anything larger than E4xx. And I'm sure, there are many users like me who simply don't want or need huge body with large grip. Size of old OM bodies was almost exactly the same, they were only heavier and it worked! So no, thank you, but i don't need large grip. And from the same reason I will never buy anything larger than E4xx.

But I'm willing to pay for FW upgrade, which would make the E4xx range more powerful. I will gladly pay the E4xx-E510 price difference for a FW upgrade with all possible E510 features, which, as I'm sure, are just about to enable them in E4xx menu. The E4xx/510 internals are almost exactly the same and the FW is definitely based on the same source. So why not to allow the advanced users to use entire power of small E4xx body?
    ---

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I have written a small review/opinion at the referenced sites below.

I also would like to see a f/w update to this camera, giving it some of the functionality seen in the later models, including "ISO, AF, WB, EXP, FOCUSPOINTS" added to dedicated buttons.

There is also an annoying bug I would like to see fixed, that resets the image counter, if leaving an empty CF card in the camera.

For use with my long telephoto lenses, I would like to see the "anti-shock" feature in the E-400, aka MLU.

And why not test the Focus Confirmation for manual lenses on the E-400 as a "guinea pig" test platform. If it turns out well here, implement it also for other models.

Ref:

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Hallo I would like to add my signature. Will you post it to the manufacturers?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

after the E3 hype I think it's now a new moment to bring this under the manufacturers' attention.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Yes, I agree..

I did send in an email request to Olympus support a couple of months ago and had a polite turn-down in reply...

I would certainly like to see focus confirmation with legacy lenses, even it it were not perfect...

What are the chances of a firmware upgrade though, realistically??

Pete
    http://www.snaar.co.uk

A camera and .. oh dear, all these lenses.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

I have bugged them about this a few times, but will do so again.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

to be honest, the focus confirmation is a very minor point for myself personally. but the other "features" have been in older models already, and have just been dropped from the e-400.. so I think the e-400 isn't complete yet.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by jebir View Post

Historically, for the series of Camedia cameras, from C3030 to C8080, Olympus were persistently refusing to listen to the users and clearly avoided to issue any firmware upgrades that would remedy any functional bugs. (The FW updates took care of changed hardware configurations and would hence not be upgraded.) Probably most of the persons at Olympus previously working with the CX0X0 series are now working with the E-400/410/510 and there is a significant likelihood that the same principles will be applied now.

I would be very glad to be proven wrong in this negative thinking about Olympus.

So, please Olympus (if you listen), clean up your bad reputation in this department and show that you care about your loyal customers by giving out a FW update for the E-400!

Best Regards,

Jens Birch (loyal Olympus user since 1976)
    My latest pocket camera purchase is a Ricoh GX100, sadly Olympus have nothing like it on offer.

However interesting to note that Ricoh have brought out the GRD ll an updated version of their fixed lens high level compact. They have issued a new firmware upgrade for the (obsolete) GRD, incorporating many of the improvements found in the new camera.

Olympus please note: There are other manufacturers out there who give better customer service than you do...

Peter

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

With the f/w update ver 1.2 came the support for the EC-20.
    No new functionality was added to my knowledge.

Regarding the annoying bug that resets the image counter, if leaving an empty CF card in the camera, a simply workaround is to leave at least one image left on the memory card. The image counter picks up the correct consequent number from that one.

Ref:
    Firmware Update E-400