Thread: Upgrade to CS3 Question. Opinions Wanted!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Upgrade to CS3 Question. Opinions Wanted!

I am currently using Lightroom and CS2 for my digital developing chores. I shoot 95% in JPEG (using the E510 - LOVE IT - and a Canon G7) and do 95% of my adjustments in LR.
    A close friend recently got CS3 (he was using Elements prior) and he loves it.
    From a photographers point of view, considering that I do most of my adjustments currently in LR, is the upgrade worth it? I have read some of the features and some sound very interesting. (Even played with the trial for a few days.)
    From what I have read elsewhere, many feel that if you are already using LR for most adjustments, the upgrade is not worth the cost of admisson.
    Opinions?
    Thanks, Steve

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Upgrade to CS3 Question. Opinions Wanted!

CS3 added more 64-bit functionality and can use up to 16GB of RAM. It also has E-510 RAW functionality that CS2 does not. If you are happy with your current software, don't upgrade.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I'm using CS2, and the question for me is - why would I *not* upgrade to CS3 and forget about LR altogether. (I have never used LR or Aperture, but I have read about them extensively. My conclusion FWIW was - if you already are familiar with Photoshop and ACR then why bother).

Your mileage may vary, as they say...

Peter

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I have CS2 at home and CS3 at work, and thus far see no compelling reason to spend several hundred bucks upgrading at home. I'm sure there are some killer improvements I've not yet discovered, and the lack of ACR 4.1 compatibility is verrrrry annoying, but I perform essentially identical manipulations using either. (BTW, the E-510 hasn't yet been included in ACR, just the 410).

--Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Swandy View Post
    I am currently using Lightroom and CS2 for my digital developing chores. I shoot 95% in JPEG (using the E510 - LOVE IT - and a Canon G7) and do 95% of my adjustments in LR.
    A close friend recently got CS3 (he was using Elements prior) and he loves it.
    From a photographers point of view, considering that I do most of my adjustments currently in LR, is the upgrade worth it? I have read some of the features and some sound very interesting. (Even played with the trial for a few days.)
    From what I have read elsewhere, many feel that if you are already using LR for most adjustments, the upgrade is not worth the cost of admisson.
    Opinions?
    Thanks, Steve

Thanks
    Feedback Score

The 410 and 510 both use the same sensor. I'd suspect that the ORF files are identical.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Lightroom was recommended by many users along with CS2. I would probably get CS3 when I get the E-510. I find a lot of great tools in Photoshop to improve my pictures. IS should help my shooting and CS3 will probably add new features to improve post processing. It was supposed to improve performance over CS2.