Thread: Ps7 -> Cs3?

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Ps7 -> Cs3?

I'm still working to get my computer and its software back up after the recent lightning storm that did me in. I've discovered--to my dismay--that I lost the passwords (license keys) sent to me for several programs, including Noiseware and Photomatix, so it looks I'm going to have to repurchase at least some of them (the license keys were in emails that should have been saved automatically, but I can't find them anywhere). As part of my new regime, I'm ordering an academic version of Photoshop CS3 extended, and was wondering how much difference there is between it and the PS7 that I was using previously. Are the differences that great? and does anyone have any favorite texts that might help get me up to speed?

Thanx

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Re: Ps7 -> Cs3?

Just a thought, but what if you emailed the software vendors using the same email address as previous and explained what happened. They might have a record of your licenses and email your passwords to you.
    Sorry I can't answer your question as I am using CS2.

Good luck
    Leo R

E-620, 14-42, 40-150

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thanks for the idea, Leo. Most places have pretty clear instructions to keep the license numbers safe since they won't give out new ones. Luckily all my most important programs were backed up in that way, but for whatever reason I had failed to back up the license keys for a few, and couldn't find the original e-mails either.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

What a disapointment. It really is hard to keep all this digital info organized some times.

Anyhow about the Q - PSCS3 really is a mandatory update for intel mac users - Rosetta was so slow with CS2. But for everyone else - really I have liked this update the best the UI has been cleaned up a bit. The smart filters alone make the program worth it to me. I also like the new printing method. (however, I can't use the FW connection on my R1800 to print from - Epson has to update the driver for CS3 on a Intel mac)
    But really it is good - would it be worth going from CS2 to CS3 - it probably would be worth skipping a generation, but from 7 I think you will like the improvements.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thanks, Tony. I doubt I'll have much need for the printing functions, since I use Qimage for that (and the license key for that one I did have backed up!).
    I'll be interested in using the intelligent sharpening in CS3, at least.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Norman,
    I would contact the software vendors anyway. If you are a registered user they should have a record of that and any "serious" company - no matter what they say in their license agreements - should help you if you explain what happened.
    Just keep the story short because they get confused when they have to read to much .
    Luc

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

I have played with smart sharpen a bit - but really I still usually use unsharp mask. It is what I have always used.... So why use any thing else.
    But really I think you will like CS3

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I would say call them about new licenses. See if upgrades are available to buy for those apps you lost the licenses on. I would recommend making a backup copy to CD and printing the license key and attaching it to the CD case.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thanks Michael. I have a separate hard partition that I save all my downloaded programs to, and I save the license keys in separate files, but for some reason this time I apparently neglected to save a few of the license keys separately. I still should have had them in the original emails, but they're gone as well. I'm going to start doing some things differently from now on, tho.