Thread: Paper Lantern Lane

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Paper Lantern Lane

Just a quickie I snapped while walking the dogs tonight. Only cropped, resized, and sharpened.

These lanterns are only up during the late summer festival season every year.

510 with 14-42, ISO 800, IS on. Exif embedded.

Click below for larger version:

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3...654b900vw9.jpg

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Paper Lantern Lane

i loved it and can only imagine how beautiful it will be if someone will turn the switch off on those neon lights

Assaf

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I like it with the neon lights.....but I bet it would be equally great with out the neon lights...
    ~*~*~
    E-330
    14-45mm, 40-150mm kit lenses
    35mm Macro and FL-36
    Lowepro Slingshot 200AW

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Well done, Julie, good balanced lighting. I like it.
    Luc

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Julie, love this photo shows DOF very well and colors of the night out. Ty Peter
    Available on iPad and iPhone devices in the Ibook store app
    My Book
    Funny things birds do!
    By Peter Agostini

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thanks for the comments, guys. I guess Assaf is not a fan of neon lights. Being a country girl, they are always very impressive to me.

This town is not as big as all the lights might suggest, but in any Japanese town over a few thousand, the bar district, at least, is fairly well developed.

If anybody is curious about the meanings of the signs: from the left, the blue one is a an enka bar (karaoke for middle-aged people), the mustard-colored one is a "snack" (a hostess bar--the clover leaves kind of suggest you will "get lucky," but you usually won't "get lucky" in a snack ... unless maybe you are lucky...), and the large yellow one is a soba shop (buckwheat noodles). Beyond those, there are a few restaurants (one dedicated solely to garlic!), a Korean barbecue shop (yum!), and the rest are of course "snacks."

This is my first shot with the wide kit lens. It looks to be a nice sharp lens. The setup is so light I forgot I was carrying it. The ISO 800 (no noise filter either in or out of camera) looks very good, I think. The shutter speed was fairly high, so I don't know if the IS was helping, but I was shooting one-handed with two restless dogs leashed in my other hand, if that's any indication.

This is a very fun camera, folks!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

As said this is a beautiful image and very well composed - I like the diagonal lanterns and even the neons add a touch of irony.
    Bill Shinnick
    Pana GH1; 7-14; 14-140; 45; FL-36R.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by windsprite View Post
    . . . the mustard-colored one is a "snack" (a hostess bar--the clover leaves kind of suggest you will "get lucky," but you usually won't "get lucky" in a snack ... unless maybe you are lucky...),
    Ah, ain't love grand (or desire, whatever). Yup this is the season. Mid-summer festivals all around. Our annual Bunraku performance is tonight, so I'll be shooting it.
    The name of the clover-leaf snack is interesting, Julie. Shinju 心寿 is one I don't recall hearing before, though it probably has associations in some people's minds with "pearl."

The image is a nice moody one, very typical of summer Japan. For better or worse, our little town doesn't have a centered "entertainment" district, but a number of little shops spread out all over.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Very nice Julie, I love your work.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

As said this is a beautiful image and very well composed - I like the diagonal lanterns and even the neons add a touch of irony.
    Thanks, Bill. I'm really starting to enjoy taking these Japanese night views. I can't wait to get to a good-sized city and give it a try.

Shinju 心寿 is one I don't recall hearing before, though it probably has associations in some people's minds with "pearl."
    Actually, I think this one is 心音, Norm. It's hard to tell with the signpost in the way and I forgot to check when we went to dinner on the opposite end of the street last night. I'm not sure how to pronounce it, but I suspect Kokorone, which is reminiscent of all the baby girl names recently that end in -ne. My husband didn't know how to read it, either.

I'm looking forward to your bunraku series.

Edit: Did you notice the writing on the lanterns? The name of the street is 文化通り、"Culture Street." 

Very nice Julie, I love your work.
    It's very kind of you to say so, Craig. Even in this relatively Westernized part of Japan, it's always easy to find interesting things to photograph.
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Wow, and in case you missed it the first time WOW.

Don't worry about my Chavair Assaf, he spends most of time studying pre-electricity humans (LOL).

Thanks
    Feedback Score

What a lovely composition...

I wonder what kind of tunes they are playing in the middle aged karoke bar ?

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by windsprite View Post
    Actually, I think this one is 心音, Norm. It's hard to tell with the signpost in the way and I forgot to check when we went to dinner on the opposite end of the street last night. I'm not sure how to pronounce it, but I suspect Kokorone, which is reminiscent of all the baby girl names recently that end in -ne. My husband didn't know how to read it, either.
    Naruhodo, yes I can see how it could equally be oto behind that pole. In that case it could be read several things, as you suggested, kokorone, kokone, or (tho not likely) shin'on.

I'm looking forward to your bunraku series.
    Unfortunately, this year things didn't go as well as I would have liked, for several reasons. The crowd was one of the largest we've ever had (for reasons I'll elaborate on later), and our group was kept busy selling food/drinks during the entire time up till curtain, so I was unable to set up my tripod in the spot I've shot from before. I ended up shooting from farther away, and wasn't able to frame my shots with the 50-200 as tightly as I would have liked. Also, two large posts supporting torches stood in the way of my view. I still got a few good shots, but I haven't finished processing yet, so I'll get them up sometime this week.

Edit: Did you notice the writing on the lanterns? The name of the street is 文化通り、"Culture Street." 
    Well, "low culture" is a kind of culture, too . . .

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thanks for looking, Garry and Carolina.

Yes, Garry, I forgot that about Assaf! It all makes sense now.

Carolina, enka is somewhat similar to American country music. The main themes are: undying love, broken hearts, hometown, and Mother. It is sung mostly by women in kimono or sometimes men in tuxedo, and the singer is accompanied by lush (smarmy?) orchestral music, with some electric guitar thrown in, but the melodies are very Asian sounding. I don't care for enka as a genre, but I do like some songs and singers. I have been known to belt out a few enka at the karaoke bar, just to surprise the people who want to hear me sing the Carpenters or Elvis Presley.

Norm, too bad about your bunraku shoot, but I bet you'll still have some nice shots for us.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Ah, Enka. . . . I don't know that much about music (theory), but I know that Enka uses a different scale and instrumentation than those I usually associate with Western music. When I hear Enka I still think of the first fall-winter I was here in Japan as a student, wandering through Kyoto, or walking to the public bath in my geta. I personally wouldn't compare it to country-Western, since the latter seems to be characterized more by relaxed, gliding, transitions based on the use of finger slides on the steel guitar, while the Enka style sounds to me more musically precise and formal, even though it often overlaps with features of minyō folk songs (somehow it fits that transitionary period of the 1920s between Meiji and militarism). I don't do karaoke much anymore, but my favorite is still Kage o shitaite by Koga Masao (1930). Very moody and depressing

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Really nice Julie, thanks for posting.
    Pete

Thanks
    Feedback Score

When I compared enka to country-western, I was talking more about the central themes of the lyrics. Very melodramatic.

My favorite enka is 小林旭の『熱き心に』 Atsuki kokoro ni by Kobayashi Akira.
    The lyrics are pretty, and the singing and instrumentals are totally over the top.
    Lyrics in Japanese (I wouldn't even attempt to translate this stuff):
    http://www.utamap.com/showkasi.php?surl=31567

I also like 松坂慶子の『愛の水中花』 Ai no suichu-ka by Matsuzaka Keiko
    It's a very ironical song.
    Lyrics in Japanese:
    http://music.yahoo.co.jp/shop/p/53/219881/Y000550

My favorite karaoke song to sing is "Call Me" by Blondie. Few Japanese listeners appreciate it, for some reason.

Thanks for your comment, Pete.