Thread: Another Georgian

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Another Georgian

Hello all,

I have been posting on another photographic site in the Olympus area and found out about this forum. I am working on some more modern photographic skills specific to the needs of my new dog club/park/training facility business. I am planning to purchase a slr in the near future, thinking about a Oly e510 with 14-54mm or maybe the soon to be released 12-60mm lens. I have a Sony, DVD tape, camcoder and a dated Nikon Coolpix 990 that I currently use. I'm going to date myself here but my more serious experience was with a Canon AE1 slr and multiple fixed length lenses, especially 85mm.

I am here to learn how to use modern 4/3 tools to illustrate specific body language and physical movement that are essential to communicating with Canis lupus familiaris. It is human body language or transitions in motion I am most interested in illustrating. I also have a web site that is begging for more and better pictures.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ann

Default Re: Another Georgian

Welcome! There is a lot to be gained here.

I lived in Georgia myself not too long ago (Augusta area). I had several dogs while living there. One was a German Shep. from a K-9 cop in Atlanta area. I had him for 4 years but ended up giving him back to the original owner before I moved away and from what I last heard he is sniffing drugs in Tx somewhere.
    One of these days I will get a smaller dog that I can play frisbee with here. My late husband's brother & wife have 3 dogs and do the frisbee thing with them (one of which is a World Champion). I just loved shooting them in action.

Ann
    Appreciate what we have, instead of worrying about what we haven't. Enjoy what is, before it isn't.
    --------
    http://www.scenicphotos4u.smugmug.com
    Moderator/Photo Contests Forum

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thanks for the welcome,

I am North of Atlanta at the very north end of Fulton county, in the new city of Milton.

I have had many GSD's. My 12 yr old daughter just took over the GSD I was working so I could deal with the Austrailian Cattle dog she was struggling with. Right now we have 1 GSD, 1 Beauceron (French herding dog), 2 Austrailian Cattle Dogs and a new Lancashire Heeler pup the wife just got. The wife's Beauceron is almost 14 and getting a little old to work. We trained the K9 dogs for Alpharetta and Macon for many years but lately we are into a little less intense human K9 relationships.

I am looking forward to helping people learn to handle their dogs more succesfully and capturing working dogs in action. I believe a good 4/3 camera will be a very useful tool.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Welcome from one dog lover to another! I race and show whippets, so, I am pretty immersed in dogs myself

If you are looking to shoot dogs, my choice of lens is the 50-200. The length comes in handy and it also helps to keep the distortion down. I try not to use less than 75mm if possible.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Hi Julie,

I think you answered my post on the other forum. I just answered your post there and started a new thread here in the Technigues forum. Great to hear from you.

I think I am working with wider angle shots. My main subject for the training presentations I am planing is the person but the photographs need to also show the dog's reaction to what the person is doing. The dog and person in these shots may be fairly far apart. I also need wide shots of the 12 acres we train and play on, including pictures of groups of people and dogs spread over large areas.

The sport of Schutzhund takes place on large fields, the action is often spread out involving multiple people. I believe a 50-200mm or similar lens is in my future but I don't think it will handle as large a part of what I am photographing as it does for you.