Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: E-3 First Look

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Default Re: E-3 First Look

Let me try to answer some questions: So I am taking bits of what you all said. If I ever miss anything please let me know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Changeling View Post
    So does that trackball control AF points??
    No special track ball. It is controlled by the main & secondary dial.
    with 1 shot you can control how that zoom's through. Also I think it can just go row by row.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Jones View Post
    aaaaaaughghghghgh, they're still providing an xD slot. They're as bad as Sony putting Memory Stick slots in everything.
    AF down to EV -2 now, much improved.
    Auto ISO over the whole 100-3200 range, very interesting.
    Gave in to the masses on the popup flash I see. I don't want it, but I guess
    No more firewire.
    The use of XD cards is dumb to me. But at least we have CF cards.
    As for AF down to -2 it is the best on the market. I was trying to get a good example but they had a hard time providing it. Let me say this in the office. I turned off the light, and was still able to focus on a black sweater with only a little window light. It was good.
    Built in flash is for the fl-50R flashes. No chance to retrofit the existing ones, but this should work out nicely. basically be able to wirelessly control 3 groups, so in theory have 12 flashes you can control.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Jones View Post
    Wow, just looked at the comparison PDF. They're really sticking by their claim of having the world's fastest AF, faster than the Canon 1D3 even! This would be a serious beatdown, if true.
    Focus was quick. Even the older lenses e.g. the 300mm was quicker to focus. However, I doubt that they will be able to retrofit. It just doesn't seem possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by archbob View Post
    When I do the math on a calculator I get 9.98 Mp. Can someone perhaps give me a little insight into this apparent difference?
    That sounds about right. It is the total effective pixels. 9.98 is close enough to round off to 10.
    Quote Originally Posted by gianca_4_3rds View Post
    The sensor seems different than the E510, I can't wait to test it to see if it can handles highlights as good as the E1: Oly claims a better DR. If it does, I'm ready to purchase one (and to put my E1 and E510 on eBay).
    The sensor is different than the E-510. It should be perfected.

Quote Originally Posted by Johannes View Post
    Dpreview mentioned connectivity 'Ethernet (10/100)' .... what is that for?
    And RAW: 1 frames maximum continuous .......?
    I thought Tony knew much more than Phil.... hahaha
    I think that ethernet would be to surf the web off the camera. You know check your email and stuff................. Ok not really, it seems for "some reason" that phil has his panties in a bunch. Oh the Phil stories I will never tell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnmcl7 View Post
    Wow...wonder how long it's going to take to reach these shores, I want this so much!
    Should be in the stores around mid November.
    Quote Originally Posted by EspE1 View Post
    It is stated that it "covers a zoom range equivalent to 100 to 200mm of a 35mm camera lens." That 200 should of course be 400.
    I guess I should read all the press releases before I post them. Sorry I will fix that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry Frankel View Post
    I would have liked 14 Bit depth on the RAW files. I think the rest is pretty good.
    This is 100% guess. But I could see that at some point. However, I believe that there would be a number of new issues. #1 very large file sizes. #2 this camera is designed for speed. Take longer to save them.
    Quote Originally Posted by finemom View Post
    I have two questions. Was the shutter the same or quieter or (please no), louder than the E1. Was the grip the same size or smaller or (heaven help me), larger than on the E1.
    I seemed quiet to me. I didn't have a e-1 to compare. But it was a pleasant sound, even at 5 FPS.
    As for the vertical grip. I didn't see that in person. But it should be same size or smaller. I really like the 2 little batteries idea over the 1 big one.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Phil said 1 frames RAW buffer ...
    actually is 16 RAW buffer ...(5fps)
    how can he deserves to have a new E-3 for review if he is not doing a specification list carefully for a new product launch?.... hahaha

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

Tony,
    Oops, I meant the actual grip on the camera, not the vertical grip. The E1 grip was always a bit too wide for me to get my fingers comfortably around.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Bojan Volcansek View Post
    I really, really hope you used links to amazon from this site when you made purchases and helped Tony doing his great work for all of us.

Yours Bojan
    Unless of course you live in Washington state and are not inclined to pay and $200 to the state for the privilege of shopping at the big river.

Clay

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cstirlingbartholomew View Post
    Unless of course you live in Washington state and are not inclined to pay and $200 to the state for the privilege of shopping at the big river.

Clay
    I know, I know very well what you are saying.
    But I meant more for the people that WILL shop using amazon anyway.
    It really doesn't cost them anything to use the link from this site, but it will help Tony surviving.

Yours Bojan

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

I reordered the ec 2.0 but didn't change the 50-200 lens. I'm afraid to get too far back on the "list" since I ordered it fairly early. I need it asap, of course, and if it shows up some other place earlier I will end up canceling at Amazon anyway.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Bojan Volcansek View Post
    I know, I know very well what you are saying.
    But I meant more for the people that WILL shop using amazon anyway.
    It really doesn't cost them anything to use the link from this site, but it will help Tony surviving.

Yours Bojan
    Your absolutely right, I totally agree.

Clay

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Tony: It appears you "scooped" all the other websites with your review here. Just wanted to say thanks for a great job. You done good.

Rocky

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Default Live view question

Tony

How much shutter lag is there when using live view?

Thank you

Jim
    E 5, E 3, E 330, C-8080, 8mm FE, 7-14, 11-22, 12-60,PL 25MM F 1.4, 35MM, 50MM F 2, 50-200, 70-300, EX 25, EC 1.4 & 2.0, FL 40, FL 5Or, FL 20, SRF-11, Foam Ring Flash.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 3dpan View Post
    One interesting spec (for me anyway) is a "bulb" setting up to 30 minutes, don't know what that will do for the noise level though.
    Wow I missed that, cool I can already imagine some awesome shoots with that. I have never used a film SLR. I have been wondering about getting a larger film camera for special occasions, but I can't develop anything. So 30 minutes will open allot more doors than I currently have.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Great job Tony!

Looks like a great camera, though there are a few minor details I don't quite understand... such as having to change the focusing screen (a biggie for me). I thought it would have been easy to add a grid electronically. Oh well, can't have it all!

Looking forward to the 12-60... I wonder if it's like the 14-54 but with wider range and faster AF. Looks like it focuses just as close.

cheers
    Darío

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by archbob View Post
    It says that the sensor is 11.8 MP and it has an effective size of 10.1 MP. I am assuming perhaps wrongly that you lose the pixels around the edge. This makes sense to me. However I noticed that both the Raw and JPG file sizes are 3648 X 2736 pixels. When I do the math on a calculator I get 9.98 Mp. Can someone perhaps give me a little insight into this apparent difference?
    yes, that's what you'll get when you use olympus studio or JPG. however, there are some raw editors who use the whole available (so, in this case 10.1mp - the 11.8 is including overhead for certain functions, I guess) area. The 3648x2736 is purely to keep it nicely in 4:3 aspect.

So, I've read the sites and brochure. I have a few minor issues:
    - EV bracketing is still only +/- 1EV which is near useless for HDR
    - xD .. I thought that was dead. oh well
    - weatherproofing .. no "mil spec so-and so", so it's probably much less weatherproofed than the e-1

- major issue: I can't find any european (mainland) stores that allow pre-ordering

and: need raw files!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

E-3 promotion video at E-system official site
    http://www.olympus-esystem.com/dea/p...omo/index.html

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Regarding Finemom's question about shutter sound. Imaging-Resource's preview states, "Shutter. Shooting with the Olympus E-3 was a great experience. The shutter is very quiet, with no buzzing or winding like many other cameras do, including the E-410 and E-510."

I'm definitely jazzed. Just not sure whether I should be an early adopter and put in a reservation at Yodobashi, or wait for first reviews.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

So far so good. In the beginning I was disappointed, but with the promise of fastest auto focus of any camera, new lenses and improved sensor, I'll have good reason to upgrade. And when my technically ignorant wedding clients ask "Wow thats a nice camera, how many megapixels is it?" I won't have to cringe and say "five," and explain why its an optically superior "five." I do wish it accepted the E-1 grips, however.
    -Brian

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

if the shutter sound in the promotional video is the real thing, it's a very nice, very dry "clack" sound. me likes

Thanks
    Feedback Score

To be honest I was kind of expecting Olympus to pull a rabbit out of a hat and surprise us with some magical feature, but I'm very pleased with the specs overall. It's not a question of "whether" to get this camera, but a question of "when." The price is lower than I was expecting, so I hope the answer is "as soon as it's available."

Thanks, Tony, for your great reporting!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Hokuto View Post
    Regarding Finemom's question about shutter sound. Imaging-Resource's preview states, "Shutter. Shooting with the Olympus E-3 was a great experience. The shutter is very quiet, with no buzzing or winding like many other cameras do, including the E-410 and E-510."

I'm definitely jazzed. Just not sure whether I should be an early adopter and put in a reservation at Yodobashi, or wait for first reviews.
    Greetings, Hokuto, check this out http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/ds...0/17/7198.html
    seems its about public display/demo at some main stores, so you can have a closer look and feel it.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I find myself strangely happy about the E-3. Rationally, I don't need anything more than what my E-1 offers, and I won't buy another body until it dies. But there's something comforting about knowing that the E-3 really exists and that it looks like a nice camera. No accounting for human nature I suppose .

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Johannes View Post
    Greetings, Hokuto, check this out http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/ds...0/17/7198.html
    seems its about public display/demo at some main stores, so you can have a closer look and feel it.
    Actually, I already applied for both demos! The seminar during the day and the shooting practice at night. I got to attend the one for the E-330 before, so I'm hoping I'll get lucky on this one, too.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

Does it have the same image processor as the 510 or something better? That's the bottom line to me.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Supposedly it uses a variation on the E-510, but with improved image quality. I've never believed they'd put the same sensor in their flagship camera. I just hope it has the kind of color and gradation the E-1 produces.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

here's wishing for a quick update with sample images.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

The discover your world site has been changed.. the veil is lifted from the E-3:
    http://www.olympus-europa.com/consumer/E-410_E-510.htm

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Wow thanks for the report, great work ! This body sounds very exciting (not to mention new lenses)...

Now I know I have to save more money to get one ! Of course I don't need one as soon as it's released... But now I really don't want a E510 to replace my E500 !