Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: E-3 First Look

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Default Re: E-3 First Look

Well, I will be buying the E-3, grip and new 50-200 when available. I have been looking forward to this camera for 2 years and I see no need to wait for official reviews. The chatter I have heard so far is good enough for me.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

here are 50+ very high resolution product photos (incl accessoires):
    http://marcof.smugmug.com/gallery/3664863/3/209404932

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I like what I see for the most part, but the prosumer-ish pop-up (useless) flash almost ruins it for me entirely.

Seriously, I may not upgrade from my E330 just over that one issue. What a huge disappointment.

It's supposed to be a pro body, not a Walmart DSLR.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Claven2 View Post
    I like what I see for the most part, but the prosumer-ish pop-up (useless) flash almost ruins it for me entirely.

Seriously, I may not upgrade from my E330 just over that one issue. What a huge disappointment.

It's supposed to be a pro body, not a Walmart DSLR.
    that "pro-sumerish" popup flash enables you to control up to 3 wireless flashes without the use of a mounted flash.

not really disappointing in my view.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by gianca_4_3rds View Post
    Minor rant:
    I can't believe all HDR hopes have been disappointed, the E3 has ±1 EV just as anybody else. Oly seemed to be paying attention to HDR, how hard is to implement a ±3 EV bracketing option with no mirror down in the firmware?

Gianca
    I too was disapointed in only the ±1 EV, but its not a deal-breaker.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by marcof View Post
    that "pro-sumerish" popup flash enables you to control up to 3 wireless flashes without the use of a mounted flash.

not really disappointing in my view.
    Actually even more, 3 GROUPS of flashes with 4 channels. So if I'm reading this right, it means you can control 12 total wireless flashes.

I've already mentioned this somewhere, it makes you have wireless flash with only ONE new 'R' flash - so you don't need to buy at least TWO new 'R' flashes.

So, don't think about it as a "pro-sumerish" popup FLASH, think about it as a pro wireless flash CONTROLLER, and be happy!

Yours Bojan

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Bojan Volcansek View Post
    Actually even more, 3 GROUPS of flashes with 4 channels. So if I'm reading this right, it means you can control 12 total wireless flashes.
    yes, my bad.. 3 groups indeed.

not too shabby

I do wonder though if there'll be a wireless unit for the camera (like the nikon WT wifi unit)..
    tony, any word on that?

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Well done Tony, I'm really glad it was you who got your hands on the E-3 first and not the, ahem, "other" site. The camera looks like a very nice package, balanced in features and price, looks well made and should finally give the high end Zuikos a good spin.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by atlasman View Post
    I too was disapointed in only the ±1 EV, but its not a deal-breaker.
    Is this true? That's quiet disappointing for a pro-dslr, it could be a deal breaker for those who are big in HDR. Although Pentax has all of 'em beat including Canon 40D, the Pentax K10D can go from -.3 to -2 in 1/3 stops and for either 3 or 5 frames, impressive for something that I can only imagine is so simple to add, I'm betting it could be changed in just the firmware.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I can't understand the temperature limitation: 0 - 40 °C operating temperature -20 - 60 °C storage temperature

It's rugged, it's weatherproof, but you can't use it in the Himalayas or the Alps (or Scotland for that matter).

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lacote0_0 View Post
    I can't understand the temperature limitation: 0 - 40 °C operating temperature -20 - 60 °C storage temperature

It's rugged, it's weatherproof, but you can't use it in the Himalayas or the Alps (or Scotland for that matter).

actually those specs are 100% identical to the E-1:
    (from the E1 user manual) Temperature : 0 - 40°C (operation)/–20 - 60°C (storage)

so, no worries here. I think it's just one of those "compliance" specs.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I was a disappointed E-1 buyer early on. I loved the camera for everything, except image quality (at large sizes). I am a portrait photographer and need to be able to produce 40 and 60" portraits. Nothing is worse than selling a $7,000.00 portrait and not be able to actually make it happen. So, will this be able to get me my 60" portraits? If so, I am leaving Canon. If not...it is too bad. I love the 4/3 format, I pretty much crop everything to that anyway. When someone can tell me if this is possible, I'm here. BTW, I bought my wife an e-510 to use around the house. That is a fun camera, and I am very happy that I have it. I guess I could test it's ability to produce large portraits, but it apparently is not the same sensor/processor.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

What I don't get is how heavy it is... I mean 800grams? Are they using mercury to cool down the sensor or something?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

When it comes to operation and storage temps they are not going to say go ahead and use it in -20C temps because if it dies on you they don't want you blaming them because your LCD popped or the battery stopped working.

I don't think I have read about a camera that is listed to be used at -20C temps without protection. I could be wrong.

But I also have a buddy who used the E1 in -40C temps so you have to take specs like this with a grain of salt, they are recommend specs. I have used my E300 and E500 at -20C and when they were finally done it was because the battery froze up.

The E1 was rated at 150000 shots on the shutter but the E1 has been tested to 500000. Just about everything is going to be under rated to a point so when it does better than the specs in the manual the manufacture looks even better.

Kelly

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jonr View Post
    What I don't get is how heavy it is... I mean 800grams? Are they using mercury to cool down the sensor or something?
    Could be the larger prism weighs more?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Avant View Post
    Is this true? That's quiet disappointing for a pro-dslr, it could be a deal breaker for those who are big in HDR. Although Pentax has all of 'em beat including Canon 40D, the Pentax K10D can go from -.3 to -2 in 1/3 stops and for either 3 or 5 frames, impressive for something that I can only imagine is so simple to add, I'm betting it could be changed in just the firmware.
    I still don't understand their reasoning on this, but I'm assuming that the 5 image option of 1 stop per image is a possibility. With the 5 frames per second, the extra two frames won't be a problem.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Thank you Tony and a congrats to Olympus, I'm sure the E-3 will live up to its Flagship status!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Johannes View Post
    Could be the larger prism weighs more?
    Yes, that prism is HUGE! It reminds of the old Nikon F.
    General observation:
    I think Olympus consider the DSLR system race a long distance race, not a sprint, and I think the E-3 could be a basis for a sports cam (8-10fps, even faster AF). About the "only" thing to improve is the framerate, and add a fancy object tracking algorithms (which Nikon seems to have improved even more)
    The small mirror should be able to move faster than a fullsized mirror, not?

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I have played with the E3 today during the press conference and the shutter seemd for me much quieter that the one of the E1.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by atlasman View Post
    I still don't understand their reasoning on this, but I'm assuming that the 5 image option of 1 stop per image is a possibility. With the 5 frames per second, the extra two frames won't be a problem.
    Can anyone confirm this, 5 frames I could deal with, 3 is very tough for HDR with such a small range. I'm looking for a new camera one of the 'advanced amateur' or 'Pro-crop SLRs' I like my K10D but IQ could use some work. I'm looking at the D300, Sony A700 and now the E-3. I had used a 40D and have ruled it out.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I Just got online now (pretty busy at work today). Thanks so much to Tony for keeping us informed. Looks like a fabulous camera and worth waiting for. Now I have to find a reliable US source ... I'm definitely not paying Canadian prices for this.

Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Avant View Post
    Can anyone confirm this, 5 frames I could deal with, 3 is very tough for HDR with such a small range. I'm looking for a new camera one of the 'advanced amateur' or 'Pro-crop SLRs' I like my K10D but IQ could use some work. I'm looking at the D300, Sony A700 and now the E-3. I had used a 40D and have ruled it out.
    a friend has the 1dmk3.. 10fps .. a 7 frame bracket (-3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3) takes less than the blink of an eye... I'm jealous (and pretty annoyed by this lack of bracketing range in all olympus cameras)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I'm impressed with what I've seen, but I won't be an early adopter for two main reasons:

1) no spare cash at the moment
    2) it will be a while before the RAW converters add support for the E3

I'm content to wait...

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Smile Re: E-3 First Look

I currently have an E-500, which I really like, but passed by the E-510 despite it's many virtues, to wait for the E-3. The wait is finally over. The E-3 with the 12-60, is my definately my next camera.

Ron
    VF-2, EPL-5, 45mm 1.8, 20mm, 1.7, 14-42 II, 40-150 R PLUS E30 and E330
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ronjoiner/
    http://joinersmusings.blogspot.ca/

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by jonr View Post
    What I don't get is how heavy it is... I mean 800grams?
    Is it 810 grams including or excluding battery? My E-1 weighs 770 grams including battery and CF-card.

/Jörgen
    Jörgen