Thread: Full size from the new panasonic sensor

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Full size from the new panasonic sensor

Hey folks our friend Ian has some new DMC-L10 samples over at http://fourthirds-user.com/2007/10/p...ge_samples.php. Click on the thumbnail then save full size to master and hold on to your hats. I just looked at the ISO800 and 1600 pictures and thought "the E3 will have at least this IQ or better right?"
    We are in good hands folks.............

Charles
    " We are all made from star stuff "
    Carl Sagan

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Full size from the new panasonic sensor

I don't think the E-3 will have the same IQ as the Panasonic, as the entire image processing engine (noise reduction de-bayering etc) is different. I'm confident that it will be at least as good though and probably even better.

/Jörgen
    Jörgen

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Think sensor..
    " We are all made from star stuff "
    Carl Sagan

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Up to ISO 400 they look excellent. ISO 800 looks OK, it should clean up fine in PP. ISI 1600 looks like it should be usable, but only if necessary. I'm OK with that, I hardly ever have used anything higher than 400.

Peter

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by refiningman View Post
    Up to ISO 400 they look excellent. ISO 800 looks OK, it should clean up fine in PP. ISI 1600 looks like it should be usable, but only if necessary. I'm OK with that, I hardly ever have used anything higher than 400.

Peter
    I think it's quite a big deal. One of the things that might keep journalists off buying a surtain DSLR is noise. Sometimes, you need to use high ISOs. A friend of mine works for a rather large Norwegian paper, when he takes shots with a 300mm f2.8 and a 5D, he might need to use 640ISO to freeze the moment, ie. during soccer matches.

Then ISO noise is pretty darn important. And that's my point, I would say that a considerably big chunk of the semipro/pro DSLR market consists of journalists and photojournalists. If Oly can get warm with them, they'll have made a significant step in making the E-3 a useful piece of kit for their use, and that means they might consider actually buying one.

If Olympus doesn't make BIG improvements on noise, that market will be lost until they improve. That's just a fact, generally speaking.

However, from the images I've seen so far, for newspaper use, even 3200 ISO might be usable in curtain occasions. Remember, printing a picture in a newspaper is a bit like printing on toilet paper. :-)
    Olympus E-3 Olympus E400, Oly 14-54, Oly 50-200, PanaLeica 25, 25 Pancake, Oly 14-42, FL-36, FL-50R, Metz AF44, softbox and diffusers, OM-2, OM 28/2, OM 50/1.8, OM 100/2, Vivitar 285, Velbon VEB-3 Tripod
    If your photos aren't good enough - you're not close enough (Robert Capa, who stepped on a landmine and died getting close enough)
    Freelance photographer/journalist and columnist.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I agree with you, nomix - ISO 3600 with E-3 should be usable for newspaper, and that's about what we can hope for, I think (don't even try to compare it with the new Nikon D3 ;-)

ISO 1600, however, should be improved too, compared to L-10 and E-510: it's not only the sensor (which will be identical to L-10, I guess) but post processing to, and as E-3 is a professional camera one should be allowed to expect just a tiny little bit more
    Cheers, Herman

sokolblog

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Using the L1 now, but I see noise in these at ISO 400, 800, and 1600 that is reminiscent of my 10 mp Panasonic FZ50... I don't think the extra megapixels show any benefit as I have difficulty finding noise in any of the L1's images even when I intentionally try to shoot a troublesome shot. Could it also be that the new Leica 14-50mm is not as good quality, of course it's not as bright at least... I hope the E3 beats the pants off those images!

Rob
    surfer Rob

E-5; EM5ii/14-35/50-200II/70-300/EC14/EC20/OM100 2.8/Leica m100-400/Leica m8-18

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by sokol View Post
    I agree with you, nomix - ISO 3600 with E-3 should be usable for newspaper, and that's about what we can hope for, I think (don't even try to compare it with the new Nikon D3 ;-)
    The new D3 costs a lot more, has a FF sensor and gets distortion in the corners. :P
    Olympus E-3 Olympus E400, Oly 14-54, Oly 50-200, PanaLeica 25, 25 Pancake, Oly 14-42, FL-36, FL-50R, Metz AF44, softbox and diffusers, OM-2, OM 28/2, OM 50/1.8, OM 100/2, Vivitar 285, Velbon VEB-3 Tripod
    If your photos aren't good enough - you're not close enough (Robert Capa, who stepped on a landmine and died getting close enough)
    Freelance photographer/journalist and columnist.