Thread: When it has SWD...

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default When it has SWD...

Let's assume for the moment that Olympus will eventually update all of its top and middle-tier lenses with the SWD focusing motors.

What lens will you buy when it has SWD that you wouldn't buy now?

Obviously, the 50-200 comes to mind, but what else?

I'll probably buy the 150 f/2 when it's upgraded to SWD...

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Default Re: When it has SWD...

I always found the 300mm a bit slow to focus. I may buy that one again.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Matthew, I have a 150/F2 and haven't found any fault with it's focus speed, even when it is attached to my E-1, arguably Oly's slowest focusing body. I'll bet the focus capability will improve with one of the new cameras, but I can't remember an instance where the focus speed was an issue. Maybe it has something to do with the relatively large aperture. That said, I am homing in on the forthcoming 14-35, but the fact that it has an SWD motor is of little consequence to me. The sharpness of the images from the Little Tuna is just startling, and I hope for similar results from the new short zoom. It could be that having an E-1 for the past 3 years has taught me to ignore its numerical shortcomings and bask in the glow of its great images.

Rocky

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

From Tony's E-3 interview:

Mr Terada explained the new life of old lenses by saying “We have tested the 300mm with pro-sports photographers and they have given us the impression that the E-3 in combination with the 300mm is now at an acceptable level of focus speed.”
    If it's good enough for the pros then it's good enough for amateurs too so I doubt we'll be seeing SWD versions of these lenses. Apart from the retro-fitted 50-200, what I think will happen is that some of the newly-released mid and top-range lenses will be fitted with SWD. I've found that the E-510 has given my 50-200 a real performance boost and I don't feel the need to upgrade it ATM. The only new lens on the roadmap which I have any interest in is the 100mm macro. I doubt that'll be SWD though.
    Best wishes

Paul

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by ptuk View Post
    I doubt that'll be SWD though.
    I expect all new Pro/Top pro lenses will have SWD from now on. It makes sense to have the new mechanical manual focus on all lenses for the sake of consistency alone. And when they have now developed the SWD, why not use it? It would not surprise me if the SWD mechanism is cheaper to manufacture than the old one with electric motor and a lot of gears.

/Jörgen
    Jörgen

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

At PMA, the rep I spoke to said the pro lenses like the 35-100 already had it in there. I asked his specifically if he thought they would release a new version of that particular lens and he said no.

The lenses like the 35-100 and 150f2 focus very fast as it is. Even on the older bodies. He could have been wrong, but, he could be right.