Thread: Indoor Light Kit..Westcott Photo basics 2 light????

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Indoor Light Kit..Westcott Photo basics 2 light????

Hi all, it's been awhile since I've been on here. I have a photo 'party' coming up where I will be shooting multiple families throughout the day in the hostesses home. I've done this with just my camera and my backdrop, but I'm considering getting a lighting kit...perhaps to avoid using the flash...I hate the shadows it sometimes gets.

I'm considering the Westcott Photobasics 2 light kit. Has anyone had any experience with this? Would the 3 light kit be better?

Keep in mind...I'm not a technilogical genius..haha, I hate numbers and configurations and stuff like that...I've got the creative side down pat with photography, but all the metering and numbers turns my brain to mush! LOL..I'm an artist turned photo....

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Default Re: Indoor Light Kit..Westcott Photo basics 2 light????

My personal suggestion would be to avoid kits with continuous lights for the following reasons:
    1. You've got to have electrical power, so you're constrained in the locations you can use.
    2. The lights are basically tungsten. You can get accurate colors when using the lights alone by adjusting the camera's white balance, but when you want to mix the lights with other illumination (such as from a window), there's trouble.
    3. The lights are hot, so you have to be careful if using gels to try to fix #2.
    4. If they're bright enough to give good illumination, it can be uncomfortable to look in their direction.
    The main advantage of continuous lights is that you can see their effect easily. With strobes (flashes), it takes a bit of practice to get a feel for how to set things up to get the look you want. However, I think that with digital's instant feedback, this is not a big obstacle.

So I vote a resounding "yes" for off-camera lighting, but think portable flashes are the way to go. You can find basic manually-controllable flashes (used and new) for less than $100, and there are various cheap ways to trigger them. Light stands, clamps, umbrellas, etc., are the same cost regardless of whether you have continuous lights or flashes.

You can find a great intro to using off-camera flash here: http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html