Thread: Which of the Olympus lens lineup would you not use for a paid shoot?

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Which of the Olympus lens lineup would you not use for a paid shoot?

I had an "energized" discussion with a Canokin worshipper regarding Oly lens' and "saleable" quality shots. He contends that none of the kit lens', actually he contends that none of the standard or high grade lens' will produce photos of the "proper" quality for magazine reproduction or 16x20 wall hanging prints. Of course, in the long haul, I beat him down....regretfully, we had no web access at the time....

but, which lens' would you not use, even if you had no other options, for a paid assignment (whether mag, web, newspaper, etc.)

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Which of the Olympus lens lineup would you not use for a paid shoot?

Well, some paid shots are worth money due to quality, others due to content. If the lens is a little less sharp but lets you get the shot, then it's what you need for some applications, and if it's big and cumbersome but delivers the highest quality then that's what's best in other situations. The guy you were arguing with is wrong on his most basic premise, which is that technical quality is what sells the shot, and he was also wrong on the count of Olympus lenses being inferior. Some people seem to have the impression that olympus is an imaging newcomer who doesn't really know what they're doing, when they've been in the optics business for longer than Canon or Nikon.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Which of the Olympus lens lineup would you not use for a paid shoot?

Why is it, then, that the MTF graphs for the Oly lenses are better than the Canon lenses? You might ask him to do his own comparisons since people cannot convince each other, only themselves.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Silly discussion. Even most 'crappy' lenses become quite good when stopped down to f 8 or so.

I probably wouldn't rely on say the kit lenses or the 18-180 for a high end shoot where a large high quality print was the final output, however, given decent even then the image would probably turn out fine.

The only caveat is that I don't always like the bokeh of the 50-200 lens, so if creamy smooth bokeh is something I really want in my final shot then i'd probably pick a different lens.
    ----------------

Dave W

www.hesawshesawphotography.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cdecurtis View Post
    but, which lens' would you not use, even if you had no other options, for a paid assignment (whether mag, web, newspaper, etc.)
    If I was getting paid for the shot, and had no other option, I'd use anything. The "last lens on earth" scenario isn't the standard for quality.

But the question is also far too broad to get a meaningful answer. A small camera -- E-410, E-510 -- with a kit lens would be perfect for reportage and close-quarters work. I'd never carry my 35-100 to a street festival or anti-globalization rally, but it's my first choice for sports and stage photography. The 50mm macro with the 1.4TC is a sharp and unobtrusive lens for portraits, but the 35mm is just as nice for macros when the focal length is right.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by DLGW View Post
    The only caveat is that I don't always like the bokeh of the 50-200 lens, so if creamy smooth bokeh is something I really want in my final shot then i'd probably pick a different lens.
    I would agree, but I have made many $$ shots using that lens at the same time.
    So far I haven't owned any Olympus/Panasonic lens which I wouldn't rate as best in class, Really great optics.
    Without actually using it, the 18-180 would be my assumed lens for the weakest of the system. Its a 10X zoom. So optically it most likely would be the worst.
    I as of yet have not tried any sigma lenses, but for Olympus and Panasonic, very very good lenses.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I don't want to get into a CanNikon discusion but I will say the the 14-45 kit lens that came with the E500 is the worst of the bunch. That's NOT to say that it's a bad lens, only saying that it's the worst Olympus lens I own. If I had no other choice I guess I could use on an assignment. It's pretty slow and it's quite soft at the 45mm end even stopped down a bit but, yes, I guess I'd use it if I had to.

I prefer the 14-54 that I got with my E1 but sometimes it's not about supreme quality. Tomorrow I'm shooting a wedding and I bought my new E3 early specifically for that wedding. I'm going to use my 14-54 for most of it but I'm also taking a Sigma 55-200 as well. You may ask "Why would he use a crappy Sigma 55-200 which is known to be a soft, second rate lens after he berates the Oly 14-45 for having the same faults?" Answer: the Sigma is very small and light, focuses instantly and it's even faster on the E3, makes the perfect hand held walk-about for long range candids at the reception. Yes, it's slow but with the E3's good performance at higher ISO ratings and it's I.S. I can stop down to f8 and it will work well.

So, every job is different and there are different lens solutions for each one.

Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Anybody who says stuff like that really doesn't know what they are talking about ... Today's modern lenses are nearly all good and any lens can be used for "professional" purposes. Some are certainly much better than others, but in the real world the differences are primarily going to show up in poor lighting conditions and over the long term (construction).

I recently used the 14-42 kit lens on a shoot, pointed straight at the sun - no flare - and it created a beautiful image from a construction site. I wouldn't hesitate to blow it up to 16x20. But if I followed that person's advice, I guess I couldn't enlarge it, and certainly couldn't have published it in the newspaper. Oh well

Thanks
    Feedback Score

The 18-180. Too slow.

E-330/E-410 and TONS of lenses of all kinds!

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Not sure what entails 'magazine quality'. I've printed 13"x19" prints from cropped shots made with my E500/14-45 and they came out excellent. Anybody who has seen them thinks so.
    One of the reasons I joined this forum was to get away from the "my brand is better than yours" mentality, but you'll always find it on the street.
    As far as the kit lenses go; of course I don't expect them to be "pro" quality. It's difficult to compare a $150 lens to a $1000 lens. I'm pretty sure I won't ever be able to afford the top Zuiko lenses, but I've read stellar things.
    I don't know if this helped, thanks for letting me say my part.

Also can someone give me a definiton for 'magazine quality' The only thing I've found is that they need to be 300dpi, which has nothing to do with the lens.

Last thing: I'm looking at the Zuiko 35mm f3.5 macro, any opinions?

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I remember reading a discussion about the Times Square V-J day kiss photo (sailor kissing the nurse) that had Leica folks in shock to know that the lens used was one not noted for sharpness.

Doesn't this tie in with threads about people attributing your good photos to your expensive camera? The subject and skill of the photographer are a large part of what makes a good photo.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I had an "energized" discussion with a Canokin worshipper regarding Oly lens' and "saleable" quality shots. He contends that none of the kit lens', actually he contends that none of the standard or high grade lens' will produce photos of the "proper" quality for magazine reproduction or 16x20 wall hanging prints. Of course, in the long haul, I beat him down....regretfully, we had no web access at the time....

Those from Canon, they don't fit and if fit they blur all the way . Even on a Canon body they blur and can't compete with Olympus. Olympus designed the lens bottom up for the new 4/3 standard. Canon uses there old lenses which were designed for 35mm film and are a compromise for their digital bodies. Also the technology of Canon lenses is for some of their lenses from years (most positive) ago. Glass is becoming better and better each year because industry has find its way to make it pure. New lenses tend to be a stop (or two) faster than old ones and are cheaper. Also be aware that there are no objective tests others than those from users. You can read about it so now and then.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

You were talking to a boob; get better conversation partners.

I'm familiar only with the higher-end lenses (14-54, 11-22 and 50-200) but have published POSTER and COVER pieces from each on my E-1. Suggest you tell him to "get a life" or at least, get specific.
    Ray

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default thanks for the input...

I agree with all of the posts.

I began my love with Olympus back in 76 or so. OM-1 and a 135/2.8 and 50/1.4. Did some great work with those combos using Tri-X and K25.

In any case, spent the day/night at Rockefeller Square with my 7-14 and 510. Will post some shots after I have a chance to download them.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

About kit lenses he is definitely wrong - I have a lot of images, taken by the "old" 40-150 (I never owned 14-45 or 14-42). For example, this cover shot

was made just by 40-150. The only Zuiko Digital lens, that turned out to be not so good for my work, was 18-180. It's just good in the line of other ultrazooms, but our designers and prepress service claimed, that IQ of images taken by this lens is much worse, than other my images. Some months ago I have made a barter change of my 40-150 for this 18-180, to have universal lens for "light travel outfit", and it turned out to be a mistake. Now I have sold it out and going to buy "new" 40-150 for the cases, when I just want to have light and extremely compact telezoom for some occasions (for main job I have 50-200).
    From Russia with Love,, Andrey Sudbin, offroad journalist

Thanks
    Feedback Score

That's a great shot Andrey, nice too see the kit optics can do the job needed from them.

I suppose it would be harder selling photographs taken with the EF-S 18-55 to be honest.
    Olympus E-3 Olympus E400, Oly 14-54, Oly 50-200, PanaLeica 25, 25 Pancake, Oly 14-42, FL-36, FL-50R, Metz AF44, softbox and diffusers, OM-2, OM 28/2, OM 50/1.8, OM 100/2, Vivitar 285, Velbon VEB-3 Tripod
    If your photos aren't good enough - you're not close enough (Robert Capa, who stepped on a landmine and died getting close enough)
    Freelance photographer/journalist and columnist.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

I might hesitate to use the 18-180, the old 14-45 kit lens, and possibly the 70 -300 for 16x20+ prints or something that requires significant cropping and enlarging, but if you're not going big, there is no problem. High frequency MTF is the only true limitation these days with inferior lenses. Everything else optically (distortion, CA, sharpness, contrast) can be fixed in PP.
    4/3: Oly E-3, E-1, E-520, 9-18, 11-22, 14-54, 50-200, 70-300, 25/2.8, 35/3.5 | Leica 14-50, 14-150, 25/1.4
    m4/3: E-P3 | G1 | 14/2.5 | 20/1.7 | 14-42 IIR | 17/2.8 | 45/1.8 | Nik 20/3.5
    Nikon: D90, D700, 70-300/VR, 24/2.8, 35/1.8, 35/2, CV 40/2, 50/1.4G, 60/2.8, 85/1.8, 180/2.8 | f/2.8 zooms | Zeiss 25/2.8
    Sony: A55, A900, 24-85, 70-210/4, 20/2.8, 24/2.8, 30/2.8, 35/1.4G, 50/1.7, Zeiss 85/1.4
    P&S: Canon S90