Thread: Natchitoches, Louisiana Architecture

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Natchitoches, Louisiana Architecture

Oldest town in the Louisiana purchase, Natchitoches not only has some interesting history but also some nice architecture. Made some photos during a recent visit there and wanted to share them. All photos made with the E510 and 14-54. I did very little PP on these.

One of the banks.

Another bank that has been transformed into a quaint little inn.

An old church.

A view from Second Street.

A drive-through bank branch.

Some of you are probably wondering how to pronounce Natchitoches. There is an old joke that tells about a traveler that pulls off Interstate 49 at the Natchitoches exit and stops at a fast food restaurant. He walks up to the counter and tells the person behind the counter, "Tell me, very slowly, how do you pronounce the name of this place?"

"Easy!" beamed the wait-person, "Buuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrr-gerrrrrrrrrrrrrr Kiiiiinnng!"

It's pronounced "Nak - eh - tesh"

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Natchitoches, Louisiana Architecture

Some of these old places have fascinating history. I particularly like the first and last shots - the simplicity, bold lines and colours of the first. THe last one makes you want to walk through.
    Alex H.
    Olympus E-500
    Zuiko 14-45, 12-60, 35 macro
    FL-36R Flash
    Aperture, iPhoto for iPad, Pixelmator

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

My favourites are 1, 3 & 5. Nice perspective and interesting colours. In 2 & 4 I think it is the shadows that put me off but others will love 'em.
    Bill Shinnick
    Pana GH1; 7-14; 14-140; 45; FL-36R.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Mike,

Some nice color and old architecture. I like the way you avoided lining up at 90 degrees to the walls. I would be tempted to do some compression of the greyscale for the last one. It looks underexposed and a little flat.

Clay

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Ox Online View Post
    Some of these old places have fascinating history. I particularly like the first and last shots - the simplicity, bold lines and colours of the first. THe last one makes you want to walk through.
    The colors are what struck me, especially in the first building. The late afternoon sun was hitting everything just right. Thanks for the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by bilzmale View Post
    My favourites are 1, 3 & 5. Nice perspective and interesting colours. In 2 & 4 I think it is the shadows that put me off but others will love 'em.
    Thanks Bill. The only PP I did was to clone out an overhang in the church photo and some perspective straightening in #4 and the more I look at #4 the more I think the shadows need to be brought out some. Not too much because I think the shadow lends some interesting contrast to the brightness of the building in the distance. That building, by the way, is the same one in photo #1.

Quote Originally Posted by cstirlingbartholomew View Post
    Some nice color and old architecture. I like the way you avoided lining up at 90 degrees to the walls. I would be tempted to do some compression of the greyscale for the last one. It looks underexposed and a little flat.
    Thank you, Clay. I try to fight the tendency to take "touristy" photos. A somewhat funny thing happened while I was photographing the church. I was directly across the street from the front of it and was trying to frame in my mind some interesting angles to shoot from. What I failed to see was a concrete riser in the sidewalk and next thing I knew I was going down! My first instinct was to cradle the camera, which I did, and I broke the fall with my elbows. Fortunately it was cold and I was wearing my leather bomber jacket, so it was minimal pain and agony.

I agree with what you said about the last one, Clay. It needs a little more attention to make it more interesting.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by mistermike View Post
    A somewhat funny thing happened while I was photographing the church. I was directly across the street from the front of it and was trying to frame in my mind some interesting angles to shoot from. What I failed to see was a concrete riser in the sidewalk and next thing I knew I was going down! My first instinct was to cradle the camera, which I did, and I broke the fall with my elbows. Fortunately it was cold and I was wearing my leather bomber jacket, so it was minimal pain and agony.
    Mike,

I hadn't been shooting for more than a week with my e500 before I lost my footing in a swamp and falling forward proceeded to tear about 30inches of one leg of my "can't bust'em" Lee dungarees. I managed to keep the camera above the muck but the rest of me got kind of muddy. I was kind of miffed about the dungarees but the store where I bought them was going out of business so I couldn't return them.

In the next few months I hit the dirt with camera in hand no less than 4 times but each time the camera was kept out of harms way. Fortunately for my old body the places I fell were always soft. I don't shoot in the woods much anymore but I still go there for walks and loosing your footing is a routine experience when navigating steep terrain with a two foot layer of leaf mulch everywhere.

Clay