Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: E-3 Grip problem (BLM Battery)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Default Re: E-3 Grip problem (BLM Battery)

When the battery is weak, even not at the grip, camera will have a chance to lock up especially while using "IS" which supposed to consume more power.
    A single BLM battery can take roughly 500 photos, if the numbers is too low, then you need to send the grip to Olympus for a check.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I may not be getting this right--it's been a long time since high school physics--but isn't a parallel battery circuit only as strong as the weakest battery?
    If you are using two BLMs in the grip and one is an old one and the other is a newer one, doesn't the older one determine the strength of the circuit?
    Anyone?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

The two batteries are not connected in parallell, rather they are feeding their power through individual serial diodes and also passing a common varistor, before the power entering into the camera. Some power loss are present in this battery combining electronics. The battery with the highest pole voltage through the diode, is the one delivering the power into the camera.

Depending on what battery techniques used, different voltages enters into the camera. A smart DC/DC-conversion should be able to handle this variation, but I'm not sure how this has been implemented.

It seems Li-Ion BLM-1 still is the only practical alternative with the HLD-4.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I've had the grip since day 1 in November, and while I don't use it all the time, I've never had any problems with it. I bought two fresh batteries with the grip, and I use them only for the grip--I try never to use them separately without the grip, just due to my personal fetish (I somehow think it's best to use batteries as close to equal in "experience" as possible).

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

The whole issue is just screwy. My E-1 grip never locked up regardless of the condition of the battery. I always knew when the battery was low, the battery indicator told me so. This one will not give me a low battery warning, it will just stop working. It's a "professional camera". Show me a proper battery warning so I can change the battery before I loose shots. If I had an indication the battery was going to lock up the camera, I would change it before I loose shots. There is no excuse for this. We can debate this until the cows come home but the bottom line is it just does not work correctly.

Or is it just me

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Talking Re: E-3 Grip problem (BLM Battery)

Two weeks ago I started a lacrosse tournament and was able to pull off 3700+ shots on a set of BLM-1's in the E-3 grip. This is the second time I have got 3,000+ pictures before seeing the flashing red battery icon. I have also been known in the past to pull the batteries out of the grip and reset them and "continue on". That was one of my favorite tricks with the E-1 grip battery to squeeze another 100+ before reloading at halftime.

Randy

PS I don't chimp during a game!

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I experienced the same problem with my HLD-4 , early battery low warning , regardless when I use one or two BLM-1's.
    Not really happy with the way olympus adressed this problem , I was so bold to pull the grip apart , to find six bad soldered joints at the PCB-board / battery contacts.
    It seems there's a bad soldered batch of HLD-4's out there and I was so lucky to have one of them.
    Cleaned and resoldering with 4% silver solder and an ESD-free soldering iron did the job , no "battery warnings" anymore , not even after 240 shots in burst mode and live view on , on one BLM !

Olympus have to check their soldering-personel , I guess ?

grtz

Ron

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Guys and girls I'm wondering if when you go to charge your batteries you are charging them at the same rate of time for each at the same time. If one battery gets low it will switch to the battery with more power IE: lock up. By pulling the batteries and resetting them as Kelly l the higher charged battery prevails. I feel as Ray does still not sure I would want ad it to my E-3? cheers Pete
    Last edited by Petephoto1; 05-07-2009 at 10:58 AM.
    Available on iPad and iPhone devices in the Ibook store app
    My Book
    Funny things birds do!
    By Peter Agostini

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I had the same issue. There WAS an issue with some of the electronic components in the grip (no firmware type stuff, just diodes and wires etc on the internals). Send it back to Oly if within the warranty and they will send you a new replacement that works as advertised.

I did a few weeks ago and got a NEW unit (cheaper to replace than repair) and I've been using it teathered to pc for work shots and batts. seems to last forever now, a bit more than 2 single batts. used one at a time it seems.

carl

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I'm not sure what you are saying here Pete!

Personally I have 2 dedicated pairs of BLM1 clones that are always charged together until 'full' for use only in the grip - and since starting that route have had no issues at all with lock ups or poor performance. In fact my biggest concern is that I don't tend to fully discharge them enough.
    E-P1/E3/E30/E510/E400/7-14/12-60/14-42/14-54/S 30 1.4/35/35-100/40-150/50/50-200/EC14/EC20/EX25/2xFL50R/FL36R/RF11/SHV-1/AC-1/AC-2

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

corrected some typos above.
    Available on iPad and iPhone devices in the Ibook store app
    My Book
    Funny things birds do!
    By Peter Agostini

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

ah - now I comprehend.

and I agree, hence my approach. I was never convinced I could get any 2 of my existing batteries to exactly the same state - let alone keep them there!
    E-P1/E3/E30/E510/E400/7-14/12-60/14-42/14-54/S 30 1.4/35/35-100/40-150/50/50-200/EC14/EC20/EX25/2xFL50R/FL36R/RF11/SHV-1/AC-1/AC-2

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by photo_owl View Post

Personally I have 2 dedicated pairs of BLM1 clones that are always charged together until 'full' for use only in the grip - and since starting that route have had no issues at all with lock ups or poor performance. In fact my biggest concern is that I don't tend to fully discharge them enough.
    This is what I do too, and I have never had a problem with my grip. My grip has been on since the first day I used the E-3.

Lawrence

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by photo_owl View Post

Yep!

I have two pairs of BLM-1 cheapo clones that I fully charge in pairs and then set aside for use together. The one Oly OEM battery is for use by itself.
    E-410 - E-3 - EPL-1 - EX-25 - FL-36R - FL-50 - Zuiko 14-42mm - Zuiko 40-150mm - Zuiko 70-300mm - Zuiko 50-200mm SWD - Sigma 105 f2.8 - Zuiko 25mm f2.8 - Zuiko OM 50mm f1.8 - Zuiko 14-54mm MkI f/2.8-3.5 - HLD-4 - Promaster Digital Macrolume for Oly - M.Zuiko 14-42mm L - DMW-MA1

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Estes View Post
    I had the same issue. There WAS an issue with some of the electronic components in the grip (no firmware type stuff, just diodes and wires etc on the internals). Send it back to Oly if within the warranty and they will send you a new replacement that works as advertised.
    I'm with you, Carl. As I posted at the beginning of the thread (edit: oops, I guess it was another related thread), I had problems with the power cutting out when I used the grip. I already have four or five BLM-1s that work work just fine in all my E-system bodies (even the E-3), and I was not about to spend an additional $120 (Japan price) to buy a brand new pair of batteries just to get my grip to work as advertised. I had Olympus repair my grip when I sent the camera in for other issues last year, and now it seems to work okay even on just one old BLM-1.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I have pair of BLM-1 clones (Avacom) for grip use only. I always charge them together. I use fast dual charger Hähnel PowerStation Twin V Pro (http://www.hahnel.ie/index.cfm?page=chargers&id=6&pId=6) which I considered my best buy for last year.

One thing I found weird. My fully charged batteries are at just 60% when left fully charged in grip (attached to camera) for just one week