Thread: Lighting setups? which one?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default Lighting setups? which one?

I am looking at two inexpensive lighting setups to play with, one is a 3 light flood setup, and the other is a 3 strobe setup with modeling lights..

which setup is better for a beginning studio?

both are within the dollar range right now.
    E-500
    Zuiko 14-45mm
    Zuiko 40-150mm

Sony Alpha 350, lots of goodies with it...

I have gone to the Max!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Default Re: Lighting setups? which one?

strobes with modeling lights. Continuous lights are too hot (literally) and are more difficult to get really good results with.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Thanks, the kit is 349.00....worth it to me for just the learning curve before I get something serious.
    E-500
    Zuiko 14-45mm
    Zuiko 40-150mm

I have gone to the Max!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

For the price it really is hard to beat Alien Bees.
    If you want to go on the cheap, buy some cheap flash triggers from ebay, and use FL-50's or whatever you have.
    With Digital Cameras now, I don't even use my old light meter any more, just shoot and chimp.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Steve, if you are going to invest $349, I would start with one alien bee vs 3 cheap lights. The stands that come with cheap lights are very flimspy. They will work, but, not well.

Watch Ebay for decent stands(I bought morris stands and love them) and start with cheap modifiers like umbrellas. A single light and reflector can make really nice portraits. Add on as you see fit

If you decide you don't like studio lights, Bees sell for almost the same as you paid for them

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Steve, I've got an old, old, OLD set of four corded studio lights with a power pack, but they're absolutely killer with all of the modifiers. They do a wonderful job. Sometimes used oldies but goodies come available at very reasonable cost... just a different path to consider. The cheapies aren't worth buying, IMHO.

Roger
    My Models Portfolio My Weddings Portfolio

Current Equipment: Olympus E10, Leica M9P, Leica M8, Leica M4-P, 28, 35, 50, 75, 90, 135 lenses
    Equipment Emeritus: E20n, E1 w/SHLD-2, e520 kit, FL-40, FL-50, E3 w/HLD-4, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 30 f/1.4, Olympus 25 f/2.8 pancake, 50 f/2 macro, EX-25, PL 25 f/1.4, 14-54, FL-36, 50-200,Panny DMC-L1, Leica 14-50IS, Olympus E5 w/HLD-4, 11-22, 18-180, 35-100, FL-50r, SHV-01 power pack, FL-BK01 bracket

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Cool Re: Lighting setups? which one?

Quote Originally Posted by llpoolej View Post
    Steve, if you are going to invest $349, I would start with one alien bee vs 3 cheap lights. The stands that come with cheap lights are very flimspy. They will work, but, not well.

Watch Ebay for decent stands(I bought morris stands and love them) and start with cheap modifiers like umbrellas. A single light and reflector can make really nice portraits. Add on as you see fit

If you decide you don't like studio lights, Bees sell for almost the same as you paid for them
    Also, the cheap lights generally have only limited power control (typically just 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 power), weak modeling lights (40-60w instead of 150w), long recycle times, are weak in the light emitted, and typically only have an umbrella as a flash modifier. I suspect if you go with them, you will outgrow them and have to replace them.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Real Name
    Lara

I'm looking at the same thing....getting into studio lighting......how much would a good set of Alien Bee's sell for? And you have to buy the stands separate?
    Lara P
    A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed. - Ansel Adams
    E-620 * ZD 12-60 SWD * ZD 50-200 SWD *
    Moderator of the About Me Forum

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Strobes would be the way to go. I've also found that my cheap light meter (Interfit) saves me a lot of time and has allowed me learn more about studio lighting than just working with the camera histogram.

Another consideration is the available space you have to work with for a studio. Small spaces can be used with low output lights (100w) and modifiers placed close to your subject but obviously outside of the camera view. These small lights will not be good for large group portraits but will be more than adequate for most immediate family sized portraits.

My home studio now consists of the 3 AlienBees, umbrellas, softboxes, octabox, stands, backdrops, etc. So, be prepared to break out the wallet and to move the furniture if the home studio bug bites hard...
    E-1, E-300, lenses, and other things.....

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I started with the Alien Bees Digi-Bee kit and now I have seven different strobes including two different ring lights, six different light stands and boom stands, and many different modifiers including soft boxes, beauty dish, umbrellas, moon units, colored gels, etc. I have the radio trigger system, as well as the wired control system.

Once you get hooked you will want everything in the way of lighting.

The customer service at Alien Bees is the best of any company I have ever had to deal with.

Lawrence

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Definitely start with one studio strobe. You can do it with flashes, but it's harder to see the effect your light will have without a modeling light. Personally, I'd pick up an AlienBees AB400 with a stand and a shoot-through umbrella, and a second stand to mount a reflector on. You can find all kinds of cheap light modifiers... eBay is a good place to look to get started. Heck, you could use tin foil if you want; all you need is something to reflect light.

For some inspiration, check out this gigantic thread on Fred Miranda's forum about single light setups. This should show you that a single light can do just about any job if you're careful setting it up. (Warning! There might be some NSFW images here!)

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic2/424115
    Chris

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Cool Re: Lighting setups? which one?

Quote Originally Posted by NrthrnHrse View Post
    I'm looking at the same thing....getting into studio lighting......how much would a good set of Alien Bee's sell for? And you have to buy the stands separate?
    Well the B400 starts at $225 plus s/h, and the beginner bee package starts at $360. You can buy lightstands from AB, it is just there have been some comments that you can get better stands at the usual photographic stores. I think if you order the accessories at the time you purchase the strobes, that there is a discount.
    http://www.alienbees.com/packages.html
    http://www.alienbees.com/flash.html

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Even if you ultimately decide you want studio strobes, I'd suggest checking out the Strobist blog (http://strobist.blogspot.com/).

The focus there is more on lighting with generic hotshoe flashes, but the principles are the same. The Lighting 101 tutorial covers a lot of the basic stuff that you need to know, both in terms of techniques and equipment. It also a bit of a do-it-yourself, cardboard-and-duct-tape, starving-student, low-budget bent, and has a lot of ideas for getting good light on the cheap.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

The kit im looking at comes with three strobes, 2 umbrellas, a set of barn doors, a snoot, set of color gels, stands 12 ft fireing cord and carrying case....

I can understand what you all are saying, but for me, the 349.00 kit, is going to be the starter testing kit for me. to learn on...then upgrade after. I can always sell this kit here as we have no place to buy any type of studio lighting here.
    E-500
    Zuiko 14-45mm
    Zuiko 40-150mm

I have gone to the Max!