Thread: Tips on Photographing Birds in Flight.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Default Tips on Photographing Birds in Flight.

Tips on Photographing Birds in Flight.

By: Richard Pavek

1. The problem of stability

Stability starts, not with your camera, but with your feet and legs. As bipeds, humans are inherently unstable, any movement of our arms and/or shoulders is immediately compensated for by a complex series of lower body adjustments, all of which contribute to camera and lens movement. You can only be moderately successful shooting while standing and when it is windy you might as well forget it entirely.

The answer is to sit on a chair or on ...Read more here.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Default Re: Tips on Photographing Birds in Flight.

Interesting.

I think that different techniques are required for different birds, different locations and different lenses.

If you have a big lens you can't hold it - no matter what !
    If you are wandering around in the bush, carrying anything extra is a problem, let alone trying to sit down when you need the height or on the side of steep hill/uneven ground.

Using a tripod without a gimbal mount on a flying bird is difficult, but using a gimbal mount providing your bird doesn't change its angle of elevation (as you view it) too much is an excellent way to track and still use spot focus.

If you are close up with a smaller telephoto lens - hand held is OK on fast moving smaller birds - but its still an effort to keep up with them.

I am waiting for Oly to release the predictive wildlife behavioural AF system ! - with auto tracking.

Cheers

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Actually it is funny, Richard and I shoot similar Style, I guess old technique?
    Now I am still waiting to get the EC-20, but right now it wouldn't be good weather for it. So I will wait till it brightens up.
    So He primarily shoots the 300mm (my old one)
    That's a long lens. Really in my opinion the 2Xec will be way long for still photography, even with a tripod. But some can do it, and he is.
    I would probably do it too, But just not my preference. About 800mm is the limit of my comfort, unless I am shooting the moon

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

A video tripod (or head) with fluidic alt/az couplings works great for tracking birds in flight. I use a Manfrotto video head and one other nice thing about it is that it has a sliding fore/aft center of balance adjustment for long/heavy lenses. I picked it up at a sporting goods store in the spotting scope department.

Best,
    Oly

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by olyinaz View Post
    A video tripod (or head) with fluidic alt/az couplings works great for tracking birds in flight. I use a Manfrotto video head and one other nice thing about it is that it has a sliding fore/aft center of balance adjustment for long/heavy lenses. I picked it up at a sporting goods store in the spotting scope department.

Best,
    Oly
    indeed I aquired a Bilora Stativ with a fluid video head and it is simply amazing in terms of balance and smoothness (balance between resistance and flow)
    E-P1/E3/E30/E510/E400/7-14/12-60/14-42/14-54/S 30 1.4/35/35-100/40-150/50/50-200/EC14/EC20/EX25/2xFL50R/FL36R/RF11/SHV-1/AC-1/AC-2

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Article has been rewritten and updated. Very nice write up Richard.