Thread: Fotodiox 4/3 adapters with DANDELION!

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thumbs up Fotodiox 4/3 adapters with DANDELION!

lace w:st="on">OMlace> to 4/3
    Nikon to 4/3
    Pentax K to 4/3
    Leica R to 4/3
    Contax to 4/3

Now you may buy one of the best adapter for 4/3 from fotodiox (www.fotodiox.com) with dandelion, chip already pasted and tested in all cameras modes.

lace w:st="on">lace>>>
    We fix all problem with LV in this chip.
    AF confirm and Image Stabilization (IS) works perfectly.
    Matt surface of chips for the correct exposure.
    For all question please write to sale(a)oly43club.ru (a)=@
    One adapter from fotodiox with dandelion cost 65$
    All about How to buy here

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Fotodiox 4/3 adapters with DANDELION!

this has to be some sort of breakthrough
    Riley

Olympus User, Pro Photographer since 2003

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Didn't someone on this site put this on the wish list just last week?

As I understand, the Dandelion chip is focal length specific. How well will these mounts work with my zooms? I'd love to have one to work with my 100-300 and my 90mm macro.
    Will
    http://www.sawtellephoto.com

Olympus E-510
    Zuiko D 14-42 f/3.5-5.6
    Zuiko D 40-150 f/4-5.6
    Zuiko D 70-300 f/4-5.6
    Zuiko D 35mm f/3.5 Macro
    Zuiko D 25mm f/2.8 Pancake
    Olympus FL-36
    Olympus OM-1n, OM-2n, OM-4
    Scads of OM Lenses

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Will Sawtelle View Post
    Didn't someone on this site put this on the wish list just last week?

As I understand, the Dandelion chip is focal length specific. How well will these mounts work with my zooms? I'd love to have one to work with my 100-300 and my 90mm macro.
    It's progress. Cementing the adapter was a serious turn off for a lot of people. The Dandelion still has a lot of rough edges in its implementation though.

Kirasir linked to a dpreview thread (now dead, apparently) that contained reference to a Dandelion-like chip (by another reverse engineering group) that looked quite a bit more polished. In particular the thread claimed that the chip could be reprogrammed on the fly by the camera. The exact method was not specified, but since the lens receives some user input via the body, several methods suggest themselves.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

This really is great but what still holds be back is that they need to be focal length specific. If only there were a way to buy only one adapter for each lens type and then program it for the focal length being used. Still, once I settle on a few prime lenses that I will keep forever in my kit I'll definitely get some of these if they're the only game in town.

Best,
    Oly

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

If Olympus would just add the IS function for legacy lenses in the body like Pentax does, we wouldn't need these damn adapters!
    Olympus E-30(dead)............Zuiko 50-200mmF2.8-3.5 SWD
    Leica 25mm F1.4...............QuantaRay 1000mm F16
    Zuiko 7-14mm F4..............Zuiko 1.4x Teleconverter
    Zuiko 12-60mm F2.8-4......Olympus FL-36
    Zuiko 50mm F2 Macro........Olympus FL-50r

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser Soze View Post
    If Olympus would just add the IS function for legacy lenses in the body like Pentax does, we wouldn't need these damn adapters!
    If enough people who use (or would use) manual glass were to ask them, I'm sure they'd add the option. The most powerful effect would be from interviewers given the opportunity to put it to execs (or at least senior sales types), but a persistent bottom up approach can move corporations too.

Much as I'd like to put them out of business, though, I have to hand it to the people working on the Dandelion and its planned competitor. It's always inspiring to see skill and endeavour put against a closed system and still come up with a result.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

we had a campaign at dp to do just that
    some of us got replies from Olympus, i cant find mine now,
    but it didnt seem to have the desired effect

at first Olympus were saying it couldnt be done
    then others suggested panasonic were doing it anyway
    and Olympus relented to something like 'we will look into it'
    Riley

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by acme View Post
    If enough people who use (or would use) manual glass were to ask them, I'm sure they'd add the option. The most powerful effect would be from interviewers given the opportunity to put it to execs (or at least senior sales types), but a persistent bottom up approach can move corporations too.

Much as I'd like to put them out of business, though, I have to hand it to the people working on the Dandelion and its planned competitor. It's always inspiring to see skill and endeavour put against a closed system and still come up with a result.
    Not true.

How can Olympus *not know* that there are a lot of demand for AF confirmation for older manual lenses? All you have to do is punch in "OM zuiko" into the online auction site and see how much money is changing hands to realize that.

Panasonic put it in their L1 and L10, why can't Olympus, who designed the lenses themselves do that? must be some political marketing mumbo-jumbo that steered the decision. Darn shame, IMO.

I for one would be glad to upgrade to digital zuiko if Olympus gave me the option to use my old OM lenses with AF confirmation. But along with their prohibitive price, they just turned me around looking for alternatives.

Sorry, this rant is intended for Olympus alone, not anyone here specifically.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfox View Post
    Not true.

How can Olympus *not know* that there are a lot of demand for AF confirmation for older manual lenses? All you have to do is punch in "OM zuiko" into the online auction site and see how much money is changing hands to realize that.
    Apparently as it stands now, Olympus believes they aren't losing business over their decision. I'm sure nobody important there uses google to assess their public relations. Like it or not, the only way to get a corporation to change a policy is to prove it makes financial sense for them to do so. In this case, that means exposing the number of people sitting on their wallets waiting for a body that supports it (like me; I was hoping the E-3 would), or angry enough that they're considering switching away (unfortunately these people seldom make good lobbyists), or just further disposed to invest in the system because they can see Olympus is going to do what it can to keep them happy. These all have implicit or explicit negative financial effects.

I've only seen a few people who were vehemently antagonistic to the feature being added - because they figured it would distract Olympus from other matters. ie, they seemed to be ignorant of just how simple the engineering is in this case. I've yet to find a single person who uses manual lenses on the cameras who wouldn't be happy having IS or focus confirm supported, even if not perfect. I've seen lots of people using manual lenses, and Dandelion proves this above all.

In other words, I think the necessary numbers are present, if only they'd let Olympus know they're there. That means sending in the request as a bug report, perhaps once per person per year. It means watching for the Oly sales person to show up for a demo at your local camera store (these are usually posted), and lobbying him/her. It means asking review sites to ask about it. Heck, send in letters too for that physical/retro feel. Above all be polite. It's worked for other issues with other manufacturers, and it can work in this case too.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

the case i made to Oly went something like
    there are lots of pros/advanced amateurs who are going multi-system, and are seeing advantages in having a small lightweight back-up for there chosen pro system.

IF they could use the same glass as their main system they would be better tempted to go for that solution (as opposed to APSC version of their same brand). Focus confirmation just makes that easier to swallow, especially given the size of the OVF on 410/510.
    Riley

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Agree, we have to start massive "abuse" campain by simply asking about this feature in every place and accasion when dealing with Olympus representatives. In that case is also possible that they will implement this feature regardless of financial base, just because some features must be also for user satisfaction...

In other words, I think the necessary numbers are present, if only they'd let Olympus know they're there. That means sending in the request as a bug report, perhaps once per person per year. It means watching for the Oly sales person to show up for a demo at your local camera store (these are usually posted), and lobbying him/her. It means asking review sites to ask about it. Heck, send in letters too for that physical/retro feel. Above all be polite. It's worked for other issues with other manufacturers, and it can work in this case too.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

dreams...dreams...dreams... However I can speak with confidence that OLYMPUS will not make a support old manual lens (OM, M42 ...)!

Why? Because loss from sales ZD lens will make millions...

I have made the small test,and it turns out that old inexpensive 50mm manual lenses nothing worse ZD 50:

http://oly43club.ru/forum/index.php?...indpost&p=3601

http://oly43club.ru/forum/index.php?...indpost&p=3772

http://oly43club.ru/forum/index.php?...indpost&p=5027

and if the difference is insignificant and work FC/IS the old manual lens be a great help !

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by zymmi View Post
    dreams...dreams...dreams... However I can speak with confidence that OLYMPUS will not make a support old manual lens (OM, M42 ...)!

If Olympus believed they would lose millions due to legacy glass, they would have tied the shutter to an active fourthirds protocol connection. They thankfully did not forget that one of the main benefits of an interchangeable lens SLR is its ability to attach to telescopes, microscopes, pinhole cameras, or almost any type of optical system and so didn't cripple themselves. I firmly believe that they'll actually gain sales, as owners of cherished or unique third party glass find its use is given token support on the system. More bodies sold eventually means more lenses sold - certainly this works for Pentax.

My expectation is that usage of old glass, as a ratio within fourthirds users, has been sliding ever since the MA-1 was grudgingly released by Olympus. This is simply because early adopters of fourthirds were more likely to have been former OM users who already owned glass, or more experienced SLR photographers who were more broadly familiar with what glass was out there and what they could expect of it on fourthirds. By numbers, though, manual users surely continue to grow, as new users read these threads, or tests such as yours, and give some ebay found nifty-fifty a try.

So, I don't think IS or no IS on old stuff is going to break Olympus' back. In fact, IS that high serial number 50mm f/1.4 is not the be all and end all for the photographer either. It's about an additional capability, essentially free for Olympus to provide, not being there. The question is one of "optics", and Olympus happening to have picked the wrong platform.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Still, I am amazed at how the AF confirmation feature crept into Panasonic L1 (and L10 ??) cameras?

Who managed to convince the right people to do that? and why didn't the same people succeed to convince Olympus also? This is what made me suspect that Olympus need not to be convinced that the demands are out there, they simply decided not to do it. If this is the case, no amount of lobbying will bring about anything.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfox View Post
    Who managed to convince the right people to do that? and why didn't the same people succeed to convince Olympus also? This is what made me suspect that Olympus need not to be convinced that the demands are out there, they simply decided not to do it. If this is the case, no amount of lobbying will bring about anything.

Your tone implies you believe that providing a significant yet no-cost capability to the consumer is usually going to be the preferred action. I pretty much concur with that, and also that Olympus made a deliberate choice to withhold the feature. That doesn't mean that Olympus is evil, though actions like this, repeated often enough, do lead to self destruction. It's plausible that this case came down to one person's snap decision, and a subordinate's inability or unwillingness (stereotypically the same thing in Japan) to make the other case. I could write it up as a screenplay and sell it to American TV.

Well, maybe I can't pull off Again Lost Translation In. But it's my instinctive belief that most engineers would want such a feature in their cameras, and that therefore if a marketing case can be made for including it (straightforward, imo), sufficient support within the company to reverse the decision should be easy to find.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Probably, as MF-1 adapter was made, so one step to manual users where made... We have to start to remind them regulary that we want this feature. I'll also start to send at least few mails in year about availability of this feature to addresses I can find from their web...

Well, maybe I can't pull off Again Lost Translation In. But it's my instinctive belief that most engineers would want such a feature in their cameras, and that therefore if a marketing case can be made for including it (straightforward, imo), sufficient support within the company to reverse the decision should be easy to find.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I think, you have to dream that oly does not implement this feature...

Quote Originally Posted by zymmi View Post

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Well, from what I see in some local forums I can conlude that manual tryers are more... Because in beginning novices get some body cheap, then they read that some old manual lenses are cool, bye them overpriced from ebay, then try and realize that manual shooting is quite difficult, lens perfomance is quite poor comparing even to some new KIT AF ones... Lost frame/focus rate is also big (regardless you have or not focus confirmation, AF motors are quicker than your hands)... Some old lenses also needs grease to renew so you can focus enough quick, this costs again money... Finally the summ is big disapointment.

In tests above there is also talks about lens sharpness, that's ok, but what about color shifts in very bright light condions? I have played with more than 20 manual lenses in price range from $5 till $800 and sad conclusion is that most of them in many situations shows too much purple color rings everywhere, some have also overall colors shifted, for example, to more blue than needed... OK, there are really good manual ones also, but they cost too much mostly in my opinion.

By numbers, though, manual users surely continue to grow, as new users read these threads, or tests such as yours, and give some ebay found nifty-fifty a try.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

I wonder if Dandelion will ever have a chip that will work with zoom lenses? I have some nice old pentax zooms and it would be really nice. Any ideas anyone?
    DonR -
    Everything is now sold.
    E-30-ME-1/9-18/14-54mkI/40-150mkII/50-200 SWD/70-300/Sigma 50-500/50 f2/EC-14/EX-25/Leica V-LUX 1/TCON 17/Raynox 6600 Pro/FL 50/ Panny DMC-ZS5
    Images at http://donr.zenfolio.com/

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Probably then you have to make some feedback mechanism so adapter knows in what zoom place lens is... So, lens modification needed.

Quote Originally Posted by dsr1 View Post
    I wonder if Dandelion will ever have a chip that will work with zoom lenses? I have some nice old pentax zooms and it would be really nice. Any ideas anyone?