Thread: CF Card capacity on the E510 - a question

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default CF Card capacity on the E510 - a question

Posted this on the "other forum" and did not get very far. I also tried to do a search here but I could not find the right key words to get what I wanted, so I apologize if this has been "discussed at length".

I noticed that on my E500 I got about 72 RAW shots on a 1 gig card. With my E510 I noticed that I only have 59. Why the difference?
    On a 2 gig card, 148 versus 118.

Maybe I am missing something here. The E500 produces 13.5mb .ORF files while the E510 has compressed .ORF files which are only 10mb. I can only conclude that the E510 stores them in some of uncompressed format on the card and once transfered, compresses them into 10mb files. But even so, shouldn't that give me more slightly capacity that 59 shots per gig for the E510?

Ron
    VF-2, EPL-5, 45mm 1.8, 20mm, 1.7, 14-42 II, 40-150 R PLUS E30 and E330
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ronjoiner/
    http://joinersmusings.blogspot.ca/

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: CF Card capacity on the E510 - a question

Sorry!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Cool Re: CF Card capacity on the E510 - a question

Quote Originally Posted by Rockin Ronnie View Post
    Posted this on the "other forum" and did not get very far. I also tried to do a search here but I could not find the right key words to get what I wanted, so I apologize if this has been "discussed at length".

I noticed that on my E500 I got about 72 RAW shots on a 1 gig card. With my E510 I noticed that I only have 59. Why the difference?
    On a 2 gig card, 148 versus 118.

Maybe I am missing something here. The E500 produces 13.5mb .ORF files while the E510 has compressed .ORF files which are only 10mb. I can only conclude that the E510 stores them in some of uncompressed format on the card and once transfered, compresses them into 10mb files. But even so, shouldn't that give me more slightly capacity that 59 shots per gig for the E510?

Ron
    It has been discussed before, but it is hard to find the right words to look for the discussion.

Basically, as you have noticed, starting with the E-410, the Olympus cameras now compress their RAW files. Any compression method will leave a different sized result, depending on the contents of the image. For example, I would imagine an image taken at ISO 100 with the lens cap on would yield an image that compresses much better, than say a normal scene, or even with the lens cap on at ISO 1600 without noise reduction due to the noise in the pixels.

Olympus evidently uses the worst case number for computing how many pictures could be stored in the card, which leads to the LCD display indicating that you can store a lot less photos. Many users would prefer Olympus to use a value that more mirrors average photos. If you go and just take the pictures, you will see on average you are getting more shots.

However, as a programmer, I can say no matter what value the Olympus programmers use, somebody is going to complain. I can imagine event photographers that might prefer the way it is now, if you know the number of shots that you are guaranteed to take no matter what the image conditions, and only have fixed times when you can change your cards.

You probably will get lucky and be able to store more shots, but if you know you are going to need 36 shots before you can change 'film' and the display says 30, it is better to change to a fresh card when you have the chance. When a bride is walking down the aisle, you don't want to miss the shot because your memory card filled up!

Memory is cheap nowadays (I can get 8GB CF cards now for what I paid for a 128MB smartmedia card in 2002, or a 512MB CF card in 2004). There are some people saying with the rise of SSD disks replacing traditional laptop drives, that the price of CD and SDHC cards will go up later in this year, since the same internal memory is used, and the memory production lines will shift to making higher margin SSD drives.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thanks Michael. A very logical explanation. Makes it even more sense to start buying higher capacity cards now that memory is cheap.

Ron
    VF-2, EPL-5, 45mm 1.8, 20mm, 1.7, 14-42 II, 40-150 R PLUS E30 and E330
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ronjoiner/
    http://joinersmusings.blogspot.ca/

Kalispell Montana, mere minutes from Glacier Park
    Thanks
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Some times the numbers of files can be effected by the formatting of the card. A CF card formatted for one camera might hold different amounts in a different camera. Not sure if this would hold true on same brand cameras or not though. I'm not that big of a nerd

Jim

Thanks
    Feedback Score

To add on, I find the 510's shots remaining estimate to be quite conservative, and I always exceed it whether shooting jpgs or ORFs.

Oly's RAW compression must be pretty efficient, as the ORF files are significantly smaller than those from my Kodak, which has a lower-resolution imager.

I can't wait until the 16g cards are cheap enough to spring for a couple!

--Rick

Thanks Michael. A very logical explanation. Makes it even more sense to start buying higher capacity cards now that memory is cheap.

Ron

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_D View Post

I can't wait until the 16g cards are cheap enough to spring for a couple!

--Rick
    *COUGH COUGH* $77
    Olympus E-30(dead)............Zuiko 50-200mmF2.8-3.5 SWD
    Leica 25mm F1.4...............QuantaRay 1000mm F16
    Zuiko 7-14mm F4..............Zuiko 1.4x Teleconverter
    Zuiko 12-60mm F2.8-4......Olympus FL-36
    Zuiko 50mm F2 Macro........Olympus FL-50r

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Cool Re: CF Card capacity on the E510 - a question

Ron
    By the way, CF cards are not particularly cheap at places like Best Buy, unless you watch for sales. Typically you need to order them online, at places like newegg.com (if you live in the USA) if you are price sensitive, and don't need the fastest memory.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I was copying files from the camera a few weeks back, and accidentally copied them back onto the internal CF card. It took me a minute or two to realize what was happening. By then I had 3 copies of some of the files on the CF card. Also, depending on how you are reading the cards, you may have extraneous files left behind. Try letting the camera reformat the card and se what the results are.

File compression is a weird thing. Some images will likely get larger with compression than without. Don't ask me to explain, I'm not sure I understand why well enough to do so. I've seen this happen before, but it should be a somewhat rare occurance.

As above, I'd prefer to know I can get 59 shots than think I could get 72, then actually only get 63.
    Will
    http://www.sawtellephoto.com

Olympus E-510
    Zuiko D 14-42 f/3.5-5.6
    Zuiko D 40-150 f/4-5.6
    Zuiko D 70-300 f/4-5.6
    Zuiko D 35mm f/3.5 Macro
    Zuiko D 25mm f/2.8 Pancake
    Olympus FL-36
    Olympus OM-1n, OM-2n, OM-4
    Scads of OM Lenses

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Whoa, first time I've seen one under the magic three-digit mark. Nice sleuthing, thanks!

--Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser Soze View Post