Thread: Wrotniak on E-3 settings

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Wrotniak on E-3 settings

He has a new page up, that explains all the E-3 menu settings. I haven't read it all but it looks like excellent stuff.
    http://wrotniak.net/photo/oly-e/e3-sett.html

/Jörgen
    Jörgen

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Default Truly amazing

Quote Originally Posted by Stuttaton View Post
    He has a new page up, that explains all the E-3 menu settings. I haven't read it all but it looks like excellent stuff.

/Jörgen
    Thanks for the link.

That's truly an amazing article. I bookmarked it immediately. It will take much time to work through it. It's very useful to have someone not only talk about what a setting can do, but to also talk about the why of the setting.
    Regards,

Jim Pilcher
    Summit County, Colorado, USA

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thumbs up Re: Wrotniak on E-3 settings

Jorgen, Thanks for the link!

Andrzej,

David

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Re: Wrotniak on E-3 settings

This man should be paid for writing an intelligible manual. Then we could throw the Oly one away.
    Cheers,
    Don

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Thanks for the great link!!
    Looks it's a welcome addition to the handbook and the dvd, much more understandable :-)

Thanks

Jan
    E-1, E-5, E-M1, 2.8/7-14mmPro, 2.8/12-40mmPro, 2.8/40-150mmPro, MC14, ED lenses: 4.0/7-14mm, 2.8/14-54mm,2.8-4.0/12-60mm, 2.0/35-100mm, 4.0/40-150mm, 2.8-3.5/50-200mm, 2.0/50mm, EC-14, FL-50, FL-36R, some other OM Zuiko manual lenses
    www.flickr.com/photos/jan-krux

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Wow very impressive, great write up.
    I don't think that I would use it to read the whole thing through. More a reference guide.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    22 (100%)

I did read the whole thing through. Very informative and helpful. There were a few things explained that I hadn't understood since getting my first oly dslr the E500. I also got so involved I forgot about an appointment I had.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

i was waiting for this since i got the E-3!
    Dex

E-3 | HLD-4 | ZD 12-60 2.8-4 |ZD 25 2.8 | OM-Z 50 1.4 | ZD 40-150 3.5-4.5 | FL-50R | FL-36R | 055B Pro + 222RC2 | Macbook
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/voodooism/

Thanks
    Feedback Score

When I picked up my E510, Wrotniak was where I went to setup the camera.

Ron
    VF-2, EPL-5, 45mm 1.8, 20mm, 1.7, 14-42 II, 40-150 R PLUS E30 and E330
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/ronjoiner/
    http://joinersmusings.blogspot.ca/

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Stuttaton View Post

/Jörgen
    Some of us have expressed frustration over the lack of any Olympus E-System book(s) similar to the Canon and Nikon offerings. fficeffice" />>>
    >>
    I for one would rather have reference material on printed pages easily carried into the field where there are no computer WEB connections. I would always rather read any book in paper form rather than on a computer screen.>>
    >>
    Does anyone have suggestions for what to include in a new Olympus book?>>
    >>
    I would like some blank charts for all the settings with one column showing his suggested starting points and other blank columns for writing in my settings for different kinds of shooting. In addition, some space for notes and a pocket for loose papers. >>
    >>
    Of course the WEB would be an equal partner with the book. Using the WEB for what it does best and the book for what it does best. The WEB would be best for showing test pictures and providing timely corrections and minor updates. The book would provide the bulk of what you need to know, when in the field and far from a computer.>>
    >>
    Clearly each new E-body, lens, and equipment would be included in new editions. The old Carl Shipman books evolved as new OM bodies came out but the editing and printing process was lengthy. Doing a book in combination with a WEB presence would allow early evaluations with later augmentatied information in the book. >>
    >>
    The biggest problem would be figuring out the format and financial model to make it work. >>
    >>
    While I think of my Carl Shipman books for the OM system, a similar E-system series would have to be different in order to educate some new dslr users who have just graduated from P&S and only know that their previous camera did everything. The basics of photography still need to be known in order to get the most from your dslr and this is the greatest service Andrzej can provide in a book. >>
    >>
    Andrzej clearly has demonstrated the ability to provide very well organized and useful information. Would there be enough book buyers out there to justify the time to produce it? Do only Canon and Nikon owners buy books? Should we encourage Andrzej to write such a book?
    Don from Columbia, MD

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Tony, his Oly sight should be a sticky for everyone to read,,

Derry

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Any idea why it is preferred to have image stablization off by default ?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Real Name
    John

Don:

Good points. The financial model is less complex than one would think. With publish on demand companies like Lulu out there, the publishing complexities goes away. The writing and editing aspect is just as daunting however.

A simple model would be to sell a subsrciption to some value added site (like here) that would get you book updates yearly and allow you to buy the printed material at a rate less than rack. The money would be split twixt the author of the book and the site, with a lions share going to the author because the site is already charging a subscription fee. For non-subscription sales the money would go to the author.

I've seen stuff like this work in the past and it maybe worth exploring
    John

-- Life is complex. It has real and imaginary parts

Smugmug

Blog

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by TomServoCA View Post
    Don:

Good points. The financial model is less complex than one would think. With publish on demand companies like Lulu out there, the publishing complexities goes away. The writing and editing aspect is just as daunting however.

A simple model would be to sell a subsrciption to some value added site (like here) that would get you book updates yearly and allow you to buy the printed material at a rate less than rack. The money would be split twixt the author of the book and the site, with a lions share going to the author because the site is already charging a subscription fee. For non-subscription sales the money would go to the author.

I've seen stuff like this work in the past and it maybe worth exploring
    John,

I think he needs to hear from potential book users. There is no doubt he has the ability. He also has the necessary interest as an Olympus system owner/user and the objective viewpoint to point out problems and how to work around them.fficeffice" />>>
    He is already spending many long late hours maintaining his WEB site while having a very demanding day job. He has more to offer than technical tests and details. He is an intuitive teacher and would be good at guiding the P&S user into the DSLR world as well as helping advanced users know their camera system better.>>
    Anyone who would like to encourage him should send him an email. His email address is on his WEB site http://www.wrotniak.net>>
    Don from Columbia, MD

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default The Pentax green button

Wrotniak's list of settings with explanations is a great resource. One of his comments made me think of the very useful Pentax green button. He wrote, "resetting the shift to zero is a pain." Most Pentax DSLRs, e.g., the K10D, have a green button on top that will reset program shift and exposure compensation. The button will also set exposure to the program line in manual exposure mode.

Jeff

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Default Re: The Pentax green button

It really is a great read, I have a deep respect for his writings they have always been very good. It seems that this thread has calmed down on comments, so I will move it to the "keepers" forum. If we start doing stickies here the entire first page will be stickies.