Thread: Moving PSE5 to another Operating Systems

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Default Moving PSE5 to another Operating Systems

I have a new PC which came with a pre-installed Windows Vista. I installed Photoshop Elements 5 on top and registered the same with Adobe. I am not too enthused with Windows Vista’s performance and I am planning to start from scratch and install Windows XP Pro instead. >>
    > >
    My question: Is there a process I need to observe to move the PSE5 license to a new install of Win XP Pro on the same hardware? i.e. Do I need to contact Adobe to validate my existing PSE5 license? I know that on some Adobe Systems application, there is a utility within the application to move a license from one PC to another. There is no such utility on PSE5 that I can find of, or am I missing something?>>
    > >
    Thanks in advance.>>
    > >
    Robert>>

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Moving PSE5 to another Operating Systems

Try here it should explain everything, not that I understand any of it.......

http://www.adobe.com/products/activation/

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks for the reply 250swb. I may have been cryptic with the OP but the background for this request is as follows:

Adobe allows a user to install two instances of PSE5 on 2 different PC's - provided the two installs are not used simultaneously. In my case, I originally installed this on my laptop. The hard drive on that laptop crashed and there was no way to recover the HD. Then I installed it on the Vista machine which now counts as a second install. I wanted to know how to transfer the Vista activation to the XP Pro (after re-imaging) without counting the same as a third activation.

The link you provided seem to answer most of my questions but just to be sure, I ended up opening a case with Adobe and I am awaiting for the reply. Once I receive the reply I will post it here (if not barred by Adobe to do so). At any rate, I am planning to upgrade to PSE6 once I am certain that the functionality provided by the upgrade is what I actually need or require.

Cheers.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

As an update, I received the following reply from Adobe Customer Support:

"To deactivate your activation go to Help>Transfer Activation. Then when you install again after reformatting the hard drive you can install and activate normally. If your hard drive crashed previously, you can get your activation reset by contacting Customer Service. Customer Service can be reached at (800) 833-6687 - 7 days a week 6am-8pm PST."

I did call customer service as there was no Transfer Activation on the Help Menu for PSE5. It turned out that PSE5 did not require product activation, which is only applicable to the more expensive Adobe Software like CS3, etc.

I have since reinstalled PSE5 on WIN XP Pro.