Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Is Olympus Professional Caliber?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Default Re: Is Olympus Professional Caliber?

For all those Pro's who only make mony, I have no time.

OBB[/quote]

What makes a Pro is the fact that they take photos to make money. If they didn't they wouldn't be Pros.
    Well that's how it is in my Pro world. I used to shoot wildlife for agencies and the images were used to aid conservation in a lot of cases, but if I hadn't made money there would have been no images. I had to travel, eat etc. There's a pressure when you've gone somewhere to get shots which will have to make enough money to cover the trip and keep a roof over your head. It becomes a Professional exercise.
    The only current exceptions to my pro rule are Tibetans and Bushmen.
    David

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I'm a working freelance photog that derives 100% of my living from shooting. (about 80% photojournalism the rest portraits, magazines, etc.) Among others I string for the Associated Press and I use two E-3's and a collection Oly glass.
    I actually stay outside in the rain storms with no coverage on my rig while other shooters with other brands get out a rain sleeve on or run inside. They are simply being brand fanboys.

OGPS...Oly's pro program....simply ROCKS!

Buy what seems right for you and what rig feels right in your hands.

Happy Shooting.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidL View Post
    For all those Pro's who only make mony, I have no time.

OBB
    What makes a Pro is the fact that they take photos to make money. If they didn't they wouldn't be Pros.

David[/QUOTE]

Then faith missionaries cannot be pros by definition. Same full-timeness, same standards of professionalism, but since no money changes hands (the work is done gratis), the "pro" label cannot be applied. Interesting.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by lendur2 View Post

David
    Then faith missionaries cannot be pros by definition. Same full-timeness, same standards of professionalism, but since no money changes hands (the work is done gratis), the "pro" label cannot be applied. Interesting.
    Not to be dismissive, but who cares, really? Pro has more than one meaning. You guys could argue these semantic points until the earth falls into the sun, and it would accomplish nothing.

The question should not be, "Is Olympus professional caliber?" it should be "Is the photographer professional caliber?" If he is, then logically it follows that he will choose the right tools for the job.

I really think it is that simple. Or am I crazy?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Jesse

Quote Originally Posted by ksphotog View Post
    Buy what seems right for you and what rig feels right in your hands.

Happy Shooting.
    Nuff said!

JW
    Jesse

Cameras
    Olympus: E-300
    Olympus: EPL7

Lenses and Stuff
    Olympus: 14-45, 14-54Mk-1, 40-150Mk-1, 35, EX-25, EC-14, HLD-3, ME-1, & RM-CB1
    Fotodiox: Pro 4/3 to m4/3 adapter
    Sigma: 70-200 (m4/3) 19, 30, & 60mm f/2.8 lenses

Lighting
    Olympus: FL-50
    Altman: 650 watt Fresnel
    Smith-Victor: (2) 720SG focusing floodlights
    FJ Westcott: (2) TD-5 Spiderlites

Photos
    Ask me

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by windsprite View Post
    Not to be dismissive, but who cares, really? Pro has more than one meaning. You guys could argue these semantic points until the earth falls into the sun, and it would accomplish nothing.

The question should not be, "Is Olympus professional caliber?" it should be "Is the photographer professional caliber?" If he is, then logically it follows that he will choose the right tools for the job.

I really think it is that simple. Or am I crazy?
    First; You are not crazy, that is however just the thing some "Pro's" will make you think you are!

Second; Those Pro's who are understanding their trade will choose the right gear for them and their field of interest. BUT(!) they will rarely share the knowledge and the experience how to use it. Are they scared we will "steal" their skill? Never, the one thing a Pro makes him a Pro is his eye! He sees things and feels right when to press the relese button. That, we amateurs may have but we will rarely rise beond skilled craftsmen(women). But we like to learn and to share, so, all your Pro's out there, do not be narrowminded an share your skills, we will never "steal" your eye. If we have it, even without your Pro equipment, we will succeed!

OBB

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by OllyBBommel View Post
    Are they scared we will "steal" their skill? Never, the one thing a Pro makes him a Pro is his eye! He sees things and feels right when to press the relese button. That, we amateurs may have but we will rarely rise beond skilled craftsmen(women).
    To be frank, yes. The reality of professional work is that customers are greatly influenced by price. Great photographers (top 5%?) will always stand above the masses, but there are few great photographers, and a ton of good ones.

Lets say a good pro wedding photographer charges $5000, and I'm an amateur with all the same equipment. I could charge $1000, showing my portfolio of pretty pictures, and have plenty of requests to shoot weddings. I've seen more than one wedding shot by just this kind of person, and I've had requests to be that guy. $1000 is a lot of money for "one night's work", when it's not your day job.

With a ton of talented and well-equipped amateurs looking for a way to fund their next $3000 camera body, you can see why many pros are worried about amateur incursions into "their" market. Just look at people like John Harrington to see how hostile and xenophobic professionals can be when confronted with the impending devaluation of their trade.

Those of us who have lived through this kind of market transformation already (I'm in computer software... cry my a river, Harrington!) have learned this lesson already. The top photographers will keep their rates and clientele, because they have unique skills. The masses of "good" pros will be divided. Some will survive, albeit at lower rates and with much more competition from the bottom. Many will give up on the trade, citing pressure from downmarket. And the remainder of the market will be filled with former amateurs and formerly well-paid professionals fighting it out for lower WalMart-like rates.

So yes, pros are worried people will "steal their skill". If 5% of pros are top caliber, then 10% of amateurs are top caliber, but haven't applied themselves fully to their trade. The sea change today is that the cost of high-end tools is dropping dramatically, which is letting a lot more of those top caliber amateurs (and many average photographers) play in a market previously reserved for serious photographers with a serious investment.

With one barrier erased, the only two remaining are talent and knowledge. Talent can't be taught (much), but knowledge is easy, too... so long as someone is willing to teach. And many are. In the next few years you'll see forward-looking professionals like David Hobby make it big by leading a new generation of photographers, while gravy-train professionals like John Harrington snipe and whine on their blogs about their profits drying up.

It's always a good time to be Ansel Adams, but the present metamorphosis resulting from the digital revolution makes it a hard time to be an average working pro.
    Chris

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by ckrueger View Post
    To

So yes, pros are worried people will "steal their skill". If 5% of pros are top caliber, then 10% of amateurs are top caliber, but haven't applied themselves fully to their trade. The sea change today is that the cost of high-end tools is dropping dramatically, which is letting a lot more of those top caliber amateurs (and many average photographers) play in a market previously reserved for serious photographers with a serious investment.
    I suppose I am one of those breaking out of the amateur ranks into professional. A handful of weddings/portraits a year and ever increasing art print sales still don't provide enough to make a living but things have definitely got serious .

I find the comment that the cost of high-end tools is dropping dramatically very interesting. I had just got to the stage where I had good 35mm systems and a decent medium format film system when the digital wave came and swamped me. Simply, the time spent scanning slides and then fixing the scans eats heavily into any profits (not to mention the cost of processing). At that change over period - basically the last four years or so (wasn't it the Canon 1Ds that really made digital viable?) - digital was fantastically expensive.

Now enter the Olympus E3 and "semi-pro" lenses. At last a lower priced alternative to the still-expensive top end 35mm based gear which really and truly provides the goods! Going back to the original question in this thread, yes, it is Professional Caliber in every respect. The honest truth is that the compromises involved are irrelevant for nearly everything I do, except where I need masses more resolution, in which case I am looking at something in an entirely different league again and a Nikon D3 won't do it either.

I just shot a series on an old homestead, inside and outside. Not one dud frame, and mostly handheld. Effortless and wonderful.

Don.

P.S. The original poster is working in a currency much more valuable than money - I'll count that as professional.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by deep View Post
    I find the comment that the cost of high-end tools is dropping dramatically very interesting. I had just got to the stage where I had good 35mm systems and a decent medium format film system when the digital wave came and swamped me. Simply, the time spent scanning slides and then fixing the scans eats heavily into any profits (not to mention the cost of processing). At that change over period - basically the last four years or so (wasn't it the Canon 1Ds that really made digital viable?) - digital was fantastically expensive.
    But how expensive is an $8000 body, really, if you're shooting hundreds of rolls of film per year? Especially when you consider the tangentials, like 500-shot "rolls" rather than 36-shot, lost/damaged rolls, infinite backups, no scanning, no need for color filters to correct WB, ISO on the fly, usable high ISO (in color!), and shot review to help eliminate mistakes. Even if the body cost takes a while to pay itself off, the tangential benefits were/are huge!

Extend that thinking down to cheaper bodies like the D200 and 20D (both of which are good enough for most any wedding work), and digital was dramatically cheaper than film even years back, when you look at the total cost over the camera's life. You might consider shooting film "renting" your sensor.
    Chris

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I thank you all most heartily. Has made a really significant impact on my life and got me released from the tyranny of the "big two". Some have mistaken my friends' attitudes as brand snobbishness or "little TOO good-natured ribbing". It was not that. They really love me and were most sincerely concerned for my well-being. Some of the things they spouted have been resoundingly disproven by solid testimony from you pros and serious amateurs out there--and yes, even you beginners were weighed in, since your experiences are legitimate evidence that Oly won't quit on you when the road gets rough; and the excellence of the optics has been well-testified to be nearly supreme. I could not have known any of that but you filled in for me. Thanks so much for all that good will, supportiveness, and generally helpfulness. It warms me to see what kind of forum I have stumbled into. Thank you Tony Spore both for being there as have been so many others, but also for having provided us this forum in the first place. As I acquire professional expertise, I want to reciprocate with supportiveness to you in turn; and to the new entrants both to 4/3 and to photography itself.

I have determined to go Olympus all the way, and am only waiting for the new models to come out. Hope a successor to the E-3 arrives by Christmas. The savings account will only get fatter till then.

I'm abandoning this thread; if you have something more to contribute to me, please PM me instead. Leonard Durrenberger