Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Olympus Professional Caliber?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Default Is Olympus Professional Caliber?

A friend has invited me to join his shooting team (currently 3 guys), but has disparaged the Olympus as pro-worthy, and so has one of his partners. Comments like "unreliable" have got my goat. So happens that I LIKE Olympus & 4/3, but have no "ammunition" to counter their arguments. I know that the E-3 is more akin to the D300 & 40D than to the D3 & EOS-1, to name two popular brands for reference; but then THEY are using the E-3 class! Also the comment was made by one that they go for lots of depth of field, usually shooting f/11 or lower. Well, gee whillikers, doesn't 4/3 match that performance at a faster f/stop??? (correct me if I'm wrong)

Would someone please uphold my preferred camera system? Tell them (and reassure me) that Oly is as good as their "favorite (pro-worthy) brands"? The primary usage would be photojournalism, though not for the usual purchasers (e.g. newspapers & magazines).

Thank you.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Is Olympus Professional Caliber?

Maybe after you've been out in all weathers and conditions and bought back a bunch of excellent photos your friend will realise there is a whole lot more to "professional" photography than a few percent more pixels (0% in the case of the 1D MkIII) and cleaner files at higher sensitivity settings! He may even get jealous when he sees the corner to corner sharpness and wonderful depth of field and then sees how you can use a lower sensitivity because your lenses are faster and all stabilised .....

Don.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by deep View Post
    Maybe after you've been out in all weathers and conditions and bought back a bunch of excellent photos your friend will realise there is a whole lot more to "professional" photography than a few percent more pixels (0% in the case of the 1D MkIII) and cleaner files at higher sensitivity settings! He may even get jealous when he sees the corner to corner sharpness and wonderful depth of field and then sees how you can use a lower sensitivity because your lenses are sharper and all stabilised .....

Don.
    Ah, thanks so much, Don. My injured feelers are soothed already. I since recalled an earlier comment which I tried to research but found no reference to. He said that pro photogs had told him that Olympus would suffer electrical malfunctions and there would be no place to get them repaired without returning back home. (I hope I recalled it sufficiently correctly; anyhow unreliability was the issue there)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

The only concern of your partners that might make any sense is whether or not you can bring to the collaboration the work they've asked you to. If you've been shooting with the Olympus gear and they asked you to join based on the work they've seen, they're just being brand geeks.

G

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    The only concern of your partners that might make any sense is whether or not you can bring to the collaboration the work they've asked you to. If you've been shooting with the Olympus gear and they asked you to join based on the work they've seen, they're just being brand geeks.

G
    Well, yes and no. For instance they have said, and I've had it confirmed by others, that the big two can be serviced just about anywhere on the globe; and rentals of an extra lens or some such is also readily available in out-of-the-way places. I didn't mention that they are angling to shoot outside the US, and I gather that some of those places may be somewhat primitive.

I do not have that portfolio you mentioned, as I have been out of the shooting fraternity for a number of years. They generously would see me through the shaking off of all the rust and not to mention adjusting to the digital era! Plus of course would be more growth, as I've never shot professionally before.

But as to "brand geeks", I hope you are right there. I really hope you are right. I can take good-natured ribbing and cat-calling, but to insist on an "other" camera system and show up badly would throw my career into question. Besides, I like my eggs INSIDE my belly, not all over my face. :-)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lendur2 View Post
    A friend has invited me to join his shooting team (currently 3 guys), but has disparaged the Olympus as pro-worthy, and so has one of his partners. Comments like "unreliable" have got my goat.
    Well, if you're going to be judged by reliability, then the E-3 is not in the same class as the 40D and probably not in the same class as the D300. The E-3 beats them both. If your shooting partners use the 40D, go out with them in the pouring rain, and then see about reliability.

I was on another forum saying that I would avoid Sigma lenses because of their inconsistent quality control, but I was assured that they are just as good as the major brands. The exact quote was "plenty of Nikon and Canon lenses go back to the manufacturer straight out of the box."

Olympus, unreliable?

I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Olympus seems to have a decent pro service organization too. Rentals are a bit more limited than C and N but are available. Doesn't make much difference for the kind of work I do, might for what you're after.

Don't let equipment get in your way. Just use what you like, if it does the job. If it doesn't, switch to equipment that does. As a pro, that's all that matters.

Olympus' pro-class gear (E-1, E-3, pro and top pro lenses) are as good as anyone else's, at least, IMO. But what do I know? I just use it ... nothing's broken yet. :-)

Godfrey

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

when ya read the other forums on the N & C brands they also have their problems either when new or developed later after use with any model,,

as mentioned I would just start shooting and compare the out come,, Oly glass is very good and will hold its own with no problems,,

Derry

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by heavy wind lover View Post
    when ya read the other forums on the N & C brands they also have their problems either when new or developed later after use with any model,,

as mentioned I would just start shooting and compare the out come,, Oly glass is very good and will hold its own with no problems,,

Derry
    I really appreciate this comment, and the several previous, who have validated Olympus and 4/3 lenses from the standpoint of lots of experience. I trust you, rather than them, because while they have shot a lot, not with Olympuses. So while they know their craft, they can't possibly know Olympus well enough to tear it down. I'm just going ahead and procure the Olympus system and trust to my skills and conscientious effort.

Thanks a bundle guys, now I won't even bother to refute them. I'll just go on living and endeavoring to produce worthy photos. Let them eat their hee-haws by seeing Oly's good results, to sort of paraphrase one of the earlier responders. The more I think about that advice, the more it seems appropriate and fitting. Good show!

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Step 1: Go the the garden, get a big hand-full of dirt
    Step 2: Dump the dirt all over the E3
    Step 3: Dump a bottle of water over the E3 to clean things off
    Step 4: Stick tongue out and tell them to do the same

But seriously it sounds like they're being ultra brand loyal. There is validity to the renting issue but if you have all the glass you'll need its a non-issue. As for the world wide repair I'm not educated enough to form an opinion on that subject.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone13 View Post

But seriously it sounds like they're being ultra brand loyal. There is validity to the renting issue but if you have all the glass you'll need its a non-issue. As for the world wide repair I'm not educated enough to form an opinion on that subject.
    Love your sense of humor, cyclone. Touché!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    Well, if you're going to be judged by reliability, then the E-3 is not in the same class as the 40D and probably not in the same class as the D300. The E-3 beats them both. If your shooting partners use the 40D, go out with them in the pouring rain, and then see about reliability.

I was on another forum saying that I would avoid Sigma lenses because of their inconsistent quality control, but I was assured that they are just as good as the major brands. The exact quote was "plenty of Nikon and Canon lenses go back to the manufacturer straight out of the box."

Olympus, unreliable?

I wouldn't worry about it.
    I wonder if "inconsistent quality control" is past tense? Or at least applicable to lower-tier (economy) glass, but not the prolines in each company (Si-Ta-To). And wouldn't color temperatures differ from that of Olympus'? Don't know how much that means in the real world. Gosh, I sure do have misty eyes for that 200-500 f/2.8! And a dedicated doubler to boot!!! We haven't seen one of those since Vivitar quit making "matched multipliers". Hope a thread starts up on the Sigma "Big Kahuna".

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Ask them about focusing on the Canon 1Ds MkIII, or how many product recalls and emergency Firmware updates Canon and Nikon get, compared to the rather unusual recall of a very few 12-60mm lenses from Olympus and the non-emergency Firmware updates.

The thing is, if they can be such jerks over equipment you may end up finding they can be like that over other things as well. Its a state of mind, not a statement of facts when such rubbish is spouted. It is true that certain equipment suits certain jobs more than other gear, but the photo's are the key, and if they can't see that maybe you should turn them down rather than worry about joining them.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 250swb View Post
    Ask them about focusing on the Canon 1Ds MkIII, or how many product recalls and emergency Firmware updates Canon and Nikon get, compared to the rather unusual recall of a very few 12-60mm lenses from Olympus and the non-emergency Firmware updates.

The thing is, if they can be such jerks over equipment you may end up finding they can be like that over other things as well. Its a state of mind, not a statement of facts when such rubbish is spouted. It is true that certain equipment suits certain jobs more than other gear, but the photo's are the key, and if they can't see that maybe you should turn them down rather than worry about joining them.
    Well spoken. I couldn't help but laugh a good one over this. :-)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Your Friends are exactly right Olympus Is Junk!

High ISO Sport - Nothing worse than that cheap 35-100mm f2.
    http://www.kellymortonphotography.co...2007/wwbb2178/
    http://www.kellymortonphotography.co...007/wbbvb1128/
    http://www.kellymortonphotography.co...2008/cshockey/

Concert - Whats the point in pulling out the Olympus gear in bad stage lighting, its just not professional enough!
    http://www.kellymortonphotography.co...how/2008/hp07/
    http://www.kellymortonphotography.co...how/2007/snre/

Grand Shots
    http://www.kellymortonphotography.co...2008/cssenior/

Weddings - Don't even try!
    http://www.kellymortonphotography.co...007/ckwedding/
    http://www.kellymortonphotography.co...007/mmwedding/

Ok now that I have shown you just how bad this Olympus stuff is, I need you to do two things.

1. Don't tell the people writing me cheques how bad my gear is!!
    2. Make sure you show every C&N shooter that question Olympus gear just how much work I am taking from them!

hahahahahahahah

Kelly

PS. Well I thought it was funny!!

PSS. Quality issues are going to come up more and more in my opinion with all brands. With the speed at they are trying to bring cameras to market the are never going to be tested properly and with trying to bring make them cheaper and cheaper we are going to continue to see batches with issues!

Ask your friends about the 1DMKIII and its RE-CALL!!!

Know your gear, learning your lighting and have fun showing up your uneducated friends.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I think your friends are confusing "unreliable" with "unproven". The E-3 is a new body, which is enough to make anyone who relies on their equipment a bit wary. For all anyone knows on launch day, there might be some kind of AF problem with the body! (ahem)

If I had to go shoot the Super Bowl, I'd reach for the same kit that worked for me last year, assuming a new kit wouldn't give me some sort of compelling capability I wouldn't have with my old gear. I would not grab an E-3, 40D, or D300 at this point. The D300 had a banding problem, the 40D has some reports of inconsistent behavior with TC stacking beyond f/5.6, and the E-3 had the infamous focus problem. Instead I'd grab an E-1, 1D2N, or D2X.

That said, to answer the question in your subject, yes, I believe the E-3 is "professional caliber". Which bodies are and are not depends on your definition. If you define it as capable and rugged, your choices are the Olympus E1/E3, the Nikon D2/D3, and Canon 1-series. If you're willing to trade a little ruggedness in the form of weather sealing, you add a TON of bodies to your list... the E-510, Nikon D300 and D80, and the Canon 40D and 5D. If you shoot in an environment that won't see your camera smashed by an angry mob or a stampeding elephant, any DSLR on the market is suitable. Today's 450D is no worse than yesteryear's 1Ds for studio shooting, for example.

I'd call the E-3 rugged today. In a year or so when the body has been thoroughly vetted by pros in the field, I'd call it reliable, too. But I'd say the same for the 1DMk3 and D3; they have no leg up on the E-3 in terms of reliability.

In the mean time, carry a backup. If your E-3 fails, whip out an E-510. A pro who relies on a single body for paid work is gambling with his customers' money.
    Chris

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone13 View Post
    I like the idea, let's expand on it:

C and N: "Olympus... unreliable, can't get service... non pro... (yak yak yak)"

Guy with Oly (GWO): Put the E-3 down on the ground, kick dirt on it, spit on it, get his bottle of water, dump the content on the camera to clean it up.

C and N: Open mouth... (speechless)

GWO: Take the E-3 off the ground, point it to the C and N still with open mouth, click!

.... Another Guy came up: "Hey Dude, thanks for watching my E-3!"

GWO: "No problem, bro!" hand the camera to its owner, smile and left.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfox View Post
    I like the idea, let's expand on it:

C and N: "Olympus... unreliable, can't get service... non pro... (yak yak yak)"

Guy with Oly (GWO): Put the E-3 down on the ground, kick dirt on it, spit on it, get his bottle of water, dump the content on the camera to clean it up.

C and N: Open mouth... (speechless)

GWO: Take the E-3 off the ground, point it to the C and N still with open mouth, click!

.... Another Guy came up: "Hey Dude, thanks for watching my E-3!"

GWO: "No problem, bro!" hand the camera to its owner, smile and left.

You belong on Vaudeville. You could give the Keystone Cops a rollicking challenge.

I read somewhere that the 40D is sealed. Don't recall where I saw it. Take it as unconfirmed. No mention of HOW sealed, though. I understand the E-3's sealing is quite impressive. In other words, you're not exaggerating a bit.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

I was shooting my E1 doing some environmental portraiture a month or so ago in Marin County CA for a friend who wanted to update her portrait on her website. While shooting in a light rain in 40* temps, I wanted to check my exposure, and she wanted to see the framing... so I chimped the shot, and because my fingers were cold, I fumble fingered the camera while turning it so she could see it. The camera and 14-54mm lens tumbled some five feet from my hands into a mud puddle and hit some marble-sized crushed rock. I picked it up, wiped the mud off, and continued shooting. The only real damage to the camera was that the mode dial got a scrape on it. The real damage was to my pride.

Try that on a commercial shoot with an EOS1 and finish the shoot with the same equipment.

P2035167

Roger
    My Models Portfolio My Weddings Portfolio

Current Equipment: Olympus E10, Leica M9P, Leica M8, Leica M4-P, 28, 35, 50, 75, 90, 135 lenses
    Equipment Emeritus: E20n, E1 w/SHLD-2, e520 kit, FL-40, FL-50, E3 w/HLD-4, Sigma 18-125, Sigma 30 f/1.4, Olympus 25 f/2.8 pancake, 50 f/2 macro, EX-25, PL 25 f/1.4, 14-54, FL-36, 50-200,Panny DMC-L1, Leica 14-50IS, Olympus E5 w/HLD-4, 11-22, 18-180, 35-100, FL-50r, SHV-01 power pack, FL-BK01 bracket

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by KellysCayman View Post
    Your Friends are exactly right Olympus Is Junk!

High ISO Sport - Nothing worse than that cheap 35-100mm f2.
    http://www.kellymortonphotography.co...2007/wwbb2178/
    http://www.kellymortonphotography.co...007/wbbvb1128/
    http://www.kellymortonphotography.co...2008/cshockey/

Concert - Whats the point in pulling out the Olympus gear in bad stage lighting, its just not professional enough!
    http://www.kellymortonphotography.co...how/2008/hp07/
    http://www.kellymortonphotography.co...how/2007/snre/

Grand Shots
    http://www.kellymortonphotography.co...2008/cssenior/

Weddings - Don't even try!
    http://www.kellymortonphotography.co...007/ckwedding/
    http://www.kellymortonphotography.co...007/mmwedding/

Ok now that I have shown you just how bad this Olympus stuff is, I need you to do two things.

1. Don't tell the people writing me cheques how bad my gear is!!
    2. Make sure you show every C&N shooter that question Olympus gear just how much work I am taking from them!

hahahahahahahah

Kelly

PS. Well I thought it was funny!!

PSS. Quality issues are going to come up more and more in my opinion with all brands. With the speed at they are trying to bring cameras to market the are never going to be tested properly and with trying to bring make them cheaper and cheaper we are going to continue to see batches with issues!

Ask your friends about the 1DMKIII and its RE-CALL!!!

Know your gear, learning your lighting and have fun showing up your uneducated friends.
    Wow! That's a 21-gun salute all by itself.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by roger h View Post
    I was shooting my E1 doing some environmental portraiture a month or so ago in Marin County CA for a friend who wanted to update her portrait on her website. While shooting in a light rain in 40* temps, I wanted to check my exposure, and she wanted to see the framing... so I chimped the shot, and because my fingers were cold, I fumble fingered the camera while turning it so she could see it. The camera and 14-54mm lens tumbled some five feet from my hands into a mud puddle and hit some marble-sized crushed rock. I picked it up, wiped the mud off, and continued shooting. The only real damage to the camera was that the mode dial got a scrape on it. The real damage was to my pride.

Try that on a commercial shoot with an EOS1 and finish the shoot with the same equipment.

Roger
    Now THAT's one I can use against them!

Kalispell Montana, mere minutes from Glacier Park
    Thanks
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Most cameras can be pro level, the diff is, the pro level of the guy holding the camera. The poster above who made the comment about the C&N snobs was right on, if they are that bad on the surface, whats creeping around in the dark side of their mind?
    Jim

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Personally, I'd get new friends, or new "team members" or whatever the heck it or they is called.

You can't join the clic if you drive a Ford either? Can you be married and hook with these snobs? What is it, Coke or Pepsi? Coffee or Tea?

Take the picture, print it, post it, sell it, mount it, whatever. THEN ask someone what the heck camera took it.

I can make your guess wrong at any moment. Bet me.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by 4/3_Pickles View Post
    Personally, I'd get new friends, or new "team members" or whatever the heck it or they is called.

You can't join the clic if you drive a Ford either? Can you be married and hook with these snobs? What is it, Coke or Pepsi? Coffee or Tea?

Take the picture, print it, post it, sell it, mount it, whatever. THEN ask someone what the heck camera took it.

I can make your guess wrong at any moment. Bet me.
    Frankly I've been giving your suggestion some real thought; even before you made it. I like the way you think.

As to betting you; no way José! I'm keeping my money for a new lens! :-)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Are your friends actually pros? Or are they just gear heads? The friends I have that I shoot with(and we all shoot professionally) couldn't care less what anyone else shoots with. They shoot with what THEY like and need. My friend with the 1D series cameras LOVES my Oly stuff and would switch if her partner didn't have awesome canon glass(and he does!) He couldn't give a flying flip what I shoot with. My Wedding photog friends shoot with Nikon and again, their focus is what is produced, not what you produce it with.

We all have our personal preferences. The E-3 is professional caliber. No matter what some gear heads that have never owned one say.