Thread: Auto reset 35-100 to Infinity

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Auto reset 35-100 to Infinity

On my E3 I have a 35-100F2. It is a great (but heavy) lens and it produces stunning pictures. But, when I turn the E3 down is does not reset the lens on inf, it even passas beond the inf mark. Anyone has the same or is there a solution else return to Olympus?

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Auto reset 35-100 to Infinity

The infinity mark on the lens is an appoximate location mark, not a definitive mark, as you've probably observed from the locations of the other distance markers on both that and your other Olympus lenses. The distance marks on all the Olympus lenses serve little purpose other than allowing you to manually preposition the approximate focus point before raising the lens to the eye and performing a final focus. Sending the lens back to Olympus will not resolve that issue.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thank you, I will look no more to the marks. I did expect more accuracy from Olympus though!
    However, the focus is not on inf either, as I expected it to be when E3 is of.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by OllyBBommel View Post
    Thank you, I will look no more to the marks. I did expect more accuracy from Olympus though!
    However, the focus is not on inf either, as I expected it to be when E3 is of.
    Welcome to the digital age. Fast control algorithms settle fastest if they can overshoot and return to the final position. This means that to auto focus fast to infinity, the lens must have a range beyond that.

Look at the good side. Olympus' bottom digital lens line has no infinity stop and no indicator!

It would be nice if there were a semi-manual 'set to infinity focus' function to make up for the loss in viewfinder capability that came with the 4/3 system. Even if it just happened at powerup. I don't know if Olympus still has the accuracy to do this as a software update. It would certainly resolve many of my low light focus problems. But Olympus may have given up the manufacturing repeatability to do this as a cost savings benefit to the manufacturer in the digital age. I hope not.

Spread the word! Demand the cure! Maybe there is still a possible fix.

Dale B. Dalrymple

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

do not know of any Olys better lens with the distance scale that are accurate,, wish they would have spent that quarter on something else and just eliminated the feature,, I never look at mine,,

Derry

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Do not misunderstand me, the 35-100 works like a charm, no hunting, no front or back DOF, all I wonder why it does not stop at INF when shut down? I send an e-mail to Olympus about this matter, as soon I have a response, I let you know.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by dbd View Post
    This means that to auto focus fast to infinity, the lens must have a range beyond that.
    I can't believe nobody's made a Buzz Lightyear joke: to infinity and beyond!

...what is beyond infinity?

Has anyone been able to show that the focus actually changes beyond the infinity symbol? It seems to me that even though it buries the indicator the lens is and remains merely at infinity.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

OllyBB,

Do you have the "RESET LENS" set to ON or OFF ?

See page 91 of the E-3 manual.

Cheers,
    Alec

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

matthew,

If I set the focus ring on my 35-100mm fully anticlockwise (looking from the camera end), i.e. "beyond infinity", and then point at a star, then it takes 84 clicks of the focus ring clockwise to actually get sharp focus on that star, at which stage the line on the focus window is at the right hand end of the infinity symbol.

So to answer your question, beyond infinity on the scale is out of focus at infinity. Assuming a star is near enough to infinity.

Cheers,
    Alec

Thanks
    Feedback Score

One thing to keep in mind is that lenses that have ED glass or other speciality glasses are designed to go beyond the infinity mark. The lenses will show variations in thermal expansion and this was to ensure that the camera will always focus to infinity. I first noticed this phenomenon when Canon introduced Fluorite telephotos--many people wrote about their focusing pass the infinity sign. You will also see this characteristic in mirror lenses--and in this case as with the Canon lenses, these manual focus lenses would reach the end of their focus travel beyond the "infinity" sign. So this is actually a "feature" rather than a defect. FWIW, my 12-60mm will go beyond the infinity mark when the E3 is turned off as well as so I would not worry.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by OllyBBommel View Post
    On my E3 I have a 35-100F2. It is a great (but heavy) lens and it produces stunning pictures. But, when I turn the E3 down is does not reset the lens on inf, it even passas beond the inf mark. Anyone has the same or is there a solution else return to Olympus?
    I checked this tonight. Yes, you are right, it passes beyond the inf mark.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Alec, that test works for me, thanks. Next time I have a good sky view I'll try it myself and see how my results compare.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post

Has anyone been able to show that the focus actually changes beyond the infinity symbol? It seems to me that even though it buries the indicator the lens is and remains merely at infinity.
    Yes it changes, it goes out of focus. I learned the hard way by shooting unfocused night time exposures. The viewfinder isn't good enough to let my eyes focus in such low light so I set to manual and turned in the far (as opposed to close) focus direction far enough that I was sure that the lens was as far as it would go. It was. It was unfocused, past infinity. With the kit lenses I had no indicator to tell me. I found out after hours on the computer converting from raw, stitching and turning up the brightness so I could see more detail in my panoramas. I have to give PTGui credit though, it can stitch even dim unfocused images.(Of course how closely could I tell since it wasn't focused?)

Since I had trouble focusing with the kit lenses in very low light, AF and manually, I had to buy the 14-54 and 50-200 to even get a lens with an indicator on the lens for the infinity focus position.

The no hard stop at the infinity focus position is not 'your lens defect' or an 'Olympus defect', it is an 'Olympus design decision'. It lets the auto-focus settle faster and with the all powerful Olympus auto-focus and dim viewfinder, who would ever consider manual focus or a desire to set the focus to infinity without having to look at a lens of at least mid grade? Well, I would but Olympus didn't provide it. Some kind of 'set to infinity' control might still be possible as a software upgrade of Olympus is listening. And they still make lenses with enough precision for it to be possible. Anyone want to start a pool on that?

So, if your lens turns on, unfocused at any distance (with C-AF off), that's how Olympus designed it. That's what is beyond infinity. No focus anywhere. It's no problem for Olympus that I have to look at the lens to tell if the lens is set at infinity. It works for them. Hey, Olympus got $1500 in lens upgrades out of me for it.

This is such a nice 'messed up' by the stupid assumptions made by those 'advancing' the technology story that maybe I can get Readers Digest to pay me for it.

This issue has also been discussed on this site in a thread on Manual Focus.
    http://fourthirdsphoto.com/vbb/showt...ghlight=manual

Dale B. Dalrymple
    http://dbdimages,com

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by de2000 View Post
    I checked this tonight. Yes, you are right, it passes beyond the inf mark.
    I found out if you let E3 shut down by it self, the last focuspoint is rememered. So, I never shut my E3 down by hand, in this way I can look through my E3 (if Iput it to INF) I can play around without shwitshing it to "on". I hope I spelled it right?! Auto shutdown is at 30 seconds.
    OBB

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 3dpan View Post
    OllyBB,

Do you have the "RESET LENS" set to ON or OFF ?

See page 91 of the E-3 manual.

Cheers,
    Alec
    Yes, Idid!
    OBB

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Meaning, The mark of the lens go's past the mark of "INF" on the wrong side!
    OBB

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Think about it this way. The whole optical system from subject to sensor has to be in certain positions to get focus, right? So suppose that for a certain lens, aperture, and whatever, if you focus at 50 feet, you get acceptable sharpness from 25 feet to infinity. If you focus at infinity, you get acceptable sharpness from 50 feet to infinity. If you focus slightly past the point of infinity focus, you might get acceptable sharpness only from 100 feet to infinity. And if the lens were to allow you to rack the focus even further, you'd find that it was unable to bring anything at all into focus. That's what "focus past infinity" is.

Why it actually exists is partially because of what dbd said (it's easier to make an AF that can focus quickly to infinity if it doesn't have to worry about hitting the stops hard when it gets there), partially because of design tolerances, and partially because of thermal issues. The parts in the lens all expand and contract slightly with temperature change, and it's possible that in very hot or cold conditions the actual point of infinity focus is beyond the infinity marker. By giving you a little extra play, they ensure that you don't lose the ability to "go to infinity" in those conditions.
    E-620, E-410
    14-42, old 40-150, old 50-200, Sigma 30/1.4
    Metz 48 AF-1, Vivitar 285HV (broken, might fix some day)
    Canon(!) monopod

flickr.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by hobbified View Post
    Think about it this way. The whole optical system from subject to sensor has to be in certain positions to get focus, right? So suppose that for a certain lens, aperture, and whatever, if you focus at 50 feet, you get acceptable sharpness from 25 feet to infinity. If you focus at infinity, you get acceptable sharpness from 50 feet to infinity. If you focus slightly past the point of infinity focus, you might get acceptable sharpness only from 100 feet to infinity. And if the lens were to allow you to rack the focus even further, you'd find that it was unable to bring anything at all into focus. That's what "focus past infinity" is.

Why it actually exists is partially because of what dbd said (it's easier to make an AF that can focus quickly to infinity if it doesn't have to worry about hitting the stops hard when it gets there), partially because of design tolerances, and partially because of thermal issues. The parts in the lens all expand and contract slightly with temperature change, and it's possible that in very hot or cold conditions the actual point of infinity focus is beyond the infinity marker. By giving you a little extra play, they ensure that you don't lose the ability to "go to infinity" in those conditions.
    Makes sens to me, did not think of it like that. My point however is that it only does that when I shut E3 down!
    I do not worry much about it, the lens works perfectly, I just wonderd
    OBB