Thread: E510 setting question(s)

Kalispell Montana, mere minutes from Glacier Park
    Thanks
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Default E510 setting question(s)

In looking at exif data on some of my recent pics, the sharpness note says "soft". In the camera menu it is set to "zero". I would assume that this is a neutral indication? Meaning, that it is not either over or under sharpened just neutral. But then, what does "soft" mean in the exif reader? (opanda) To me, it would indicate that the camera is set to like -1 or -2 instead of zero. What do most of you set yours to?
    I am getting better at getting a sharper image out of the camera, but still haven't produced a razor sharp image as I have seen others post. I am also starting to get a handle on sharpening in PP, and am finding great variety of results from one program to another. I was trying to shoot some birds this morning, and while better than the last time it leaves some to be desired. I have been doing this hand held, and I really need to get a better tripod. I have a good head on it, but the whole thing is still shaky, and I am quite clumsy using as well. Plus, them little flitty dang birds are tough to follow on a tripod! I am going to make another thread about PP in the darkroom forum with further questions on the sharpening and other bits.
    The photo below is one of the best shots this morning, Ran it thru Elements 6 for some PP and sharpening. IS the limited sharpness just due to technique? Does anyone have a suggestion for a "test" I can due to check the cameras ability? Or should I jsut set up a "target" and shoots several shots with all being the same except for menu settings?
    Thanks in advance for any hints
    Jim

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Default Re: E510 setting question(s)

To make a better comparison, here is an untouched crop of the same bird, just downsized for web.
    If someone wants to mess with it, PLEASE FEEL FREE !
    Jim

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I personally like the original more and looks like something you get from RAW file. Your sharpened version is kind of ruined with extreme sharpening and contrast.

Try high-pass sharpening technique. I never bother reading exif data, except for shutter+fstop and date.

I think this is better, although a little can be done for this web jpg compression.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Hi,
    I just purchased a Manfrotto 785B and I've found it to work well tracking moving subjects. Also, I have the IR wireless remote setup so I don't move the tripod while using a longer lens when trying to shoot those little guys in a tree.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

You don't say which lens you are using so this may be a factor in the overall sharpness you are after.

With the E510 I set the sharpness to its lowest setting and do all sharpening at the very end of post processing. Likewise I set the Noise Filter LOW (not Noise Reduction which should be ON) and do any noise reduction in PP. Both these tend to give better end results than the default camera settings. Regarding your tripod, if you are panning with it set the IS to 'IS-2' but if you have the camera rigid on the tripod make sure you have IS OFF.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Ivanj,
    Care to explain High pass sharpening? I'm green here with this stuff. I have not heard that term before.
    Thanks!

Should have stated , this was the 40-150mm kit lens.
    Jim

PS: maybe it should wait till I get my PP post in the darkroom forum.
    I was really more interested in the "soft" thing anyway

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    17 (100%)

I am a little green on this to but I thought that sharpening had more to do with contrast from pixel to pixel and had nothing to do with correcting focus? I have noticed that my 14-54mm lens will be soft if I just throw it up and focus to infinity. But sharper if I remember to hyperfocal focus. My lens also seems to have a sweet spot at around f/10. I think getting sharp images just takes a lot of practice. It doesn't take much movement when using a big zoom. I would suggest a very ridgid tripod for nature and wildlife work. Even under ideal lighting conditions.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Flinchbaugh View Post
    Ivanj,
    Care to explain High pass sharpening? I'm green here with this stuff. I have not heard that term before.
    Thanks!

Basically, you duplicate a layer of your image and apply a High pass filter with a desirable radius level. Things don't look good for now (everything is gray with raised edges), but once you set the layer to "overlay" everything will fall back into place. Of course, things can be more complicated than that, like messing with very thin/narrow detail and so on.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Are you using vivid, natural or muted? I tend to use natural with the sharpness at -2.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Marcus,
    Shot at natural, sharp @0

Ivanj,
    thanks, I messed around with it, still trying to figure out layers too (embarrassed) not real bright about all this yet ( I did find the High pass filter and saw what it does, and figured it was gonna involve layers)
    Jim

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Hm, the default setting for natural mode is actually -1 sharpening (meaning if you set it to -1, the total sharpening will be actually -2). As far as I know, this is just an arbitrary setting made by the camera designers. Since your adjustment is at 0, the total sharpening from the camera's perspective is really -1. That might be why your exif reader is saying the sharpness is "soft."

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

The bird picture seem to be slightly out of focus.
    Jonas

Thanks
    Feedback Score

-2 is no sharpening at all. I keep all of my digicams at the lowest sharpening setting. One added benefit is that it reduces the graininess of high ISO noise.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas B View Post
    The bird picture seem to be slightly out of focus.
    Thats what prompted the original post

Jim

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Flinchbaugh View Post
    Thats what prompted the original post

Jim
    OK, my mistake - I didn't get you. Reading your original post gave me an impression you were looking for tips on camera settings and post processing routines to make a picture look sharp and crispy.

If you rather were looking for tips for taking sharper pictures my little comment certainly was of no value. Or you had a laughter at least...

regards,
    Jonas

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Jonas,
    To be fair, I was trying to find a way to determne if is indeed a camera settign that is making my images soft or poor PP technique. I think it's some of both :-)
    Jim