Thread: L10 users?

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default L10 users?

Are there any? I haven't seen any discussion of it here, and it doesn't even show up in the "camera finder" feature on flickr, which would imply that there are no images on flickr taken with this camera... is it even selling yet? Most of the larger review sites have pegged it as the highest-resolving 4/3 camera and possibly overall 10mp camera available, despite some noise issues, and I've been kind of curious as to what people may be experiencing with it... but I haven't heard a whisper. Are there any users out there?

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: L10 users?

You don't find any users because the potential Olympus users who'd be interested in adding that body to their collection can't buy the body only. It's only sold with the lens.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I've seen a couple of L10 owners on DPR but that's about it, I think prices have come down on the body which may help because I think the L10 has an odd balance. Its design and features mainly seem to be aimed at FZ owners, the design is similar, it has the articulating screen and improved liveview with the contrast detect AF. Other features such as the small raw buffer, three point AF and similar also seem to put it alongside other entry level SLR offerings. However the price, sensor and twin control wheels put it much closer (at least on price) to semi-pro offerings.

At the same time, some companies are offering the E-510 very cheap with the dual lens kit which overall isn't as good a body/lens but on the other hand it's still a very good camera especially with the bonus of the onboard IS.

John
    Olympus E-1, Olympus E-500, Olympus E-330, Olympus DMC-L1, Olympus E-510, Olympus E-3, 7-14mm,12-60mm, 14-42mm, 14-45mm, 14-50mm(Leica), 14-54MM, Sigma 30mm, 35-100mm, 40-150mm(Mk1), 50mm (macro), 50-200mm, 'Bigma' 50-500mm, EC-14, EC-20, FL-36, FL-50, HLD-4, Lowepro Rezo 140AW, Slingshot 100AW

Panasonic GF1, GH1, 7-14mm, 14-140mm, 20mm F1.7, DMW-MA1 Nikon D700, 24-70mm F2.8, 50mm F1.4G, 70-200mm F2.8, Fuji F72EXR, Casio EX-FH100

Though I fly through the valley of death I shall feel no fear, for I am at 80,000 feet and climbing

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

I really liked the L1, but I can't even get a loaner body for the L-10 for a review. Really it doesn't seem that Panasonic is all that concerned about their SLR cameras at this time. I would love to get the camera and spend some time with it, but right now I can't.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I know three people who chose the L10 over other cameras. Unfortunately, none of them are local to me so I haven't seen one to evaluate it.

These three are photographers, fairly sophisticated about lenses and cameras. They are all pretty impressed with the L10 and its lens in terms of their performance. Of course, they would like the faster lens that came on the L1 and a bit more RAW buffer, but otherwise they're pretty happy.

Godfrey

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

What seems weird to me is: here I have the original Leica 14-50 2.8-3.5 that came with my L1, why would I 'upgrade' when forced to buy a slower lens kit and there is the smaller buffer size, no increase of fps... I'd snap one up if they had boosted some of the specs just a notch over the L1. 10Mp alone is not going to draw my attention over the E series. The articulating screen is one thing I love about the FZ50, but I have found live view pretty useless for my type of photography when I have an optical viewfinder for better timing. If it is true about the sensor resolution, I'll have to see some amazing I mean amaaazing pics to sway me away from an Olympus body for my next upgrade.
    All that I share with you is purely my personal perspective based on my own experiences. Feel free to constructively criticize my opinions and my photos, please!
    Rob

E-5/14-35/50-200II/70-300/EC14/EC20/OM100 2.8

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by srf4real View Post
    What seems weird to me is: here I have the original Leica 14-50 2.8-3.5 that came with my L1, why would I 'upgrade' when forced to buy a slower lens kit and there is the smaller buffer size, no increase of fps... I'd snap one up if they had boosted some of the specs just a notch over the L1.
    The L10 was not introduced as an "upgrade" to the L1. It was introduced at a market price point 40% less expensive than the L1 was positioned at with a more consumer-market oriented feature set. The fact that it has the latest 10Mpixel sensor and additions/improvements to the Live View feature is simply a matter of it being a newer model. Similarly, the fact that the L1 model is selling for comparable and even lower prices now is more due to the hysterical nature of today's distribution channel in the markets ... The L1 is a more sophisticated camera with better build quality, a faster lens, and a more "advanced amateur oriented" set of specs and design, but the distributors are eager to clear the shelf since people tend to buy not what is "better" but what is "new and zoomy".

According to a recent interview with Leica's CEO, the demand for their version of the L1 (the Leica Digilux 3) is still holding strong at their original pricing. They didn't consider that it would be a volume seller, it is meeting their sales predictions. And the buyers seem to be very satisfied with it as a producer of fine photographs.

Market dynamics in the camera marketplace are, to me, absolutely insane today.

Godfrey

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post

Market dynamics in the camera marketplace are, to me, absolutely insane today.
    True that. I guess it would be too simple for them to use common sense. I could use a 10Mp sensor especially with that Leica 14-50 2.8... that is one awesome kit lens and still worth $1000 if you ask me. I just can't imagine what I would have missed had I waited on the L10 instead of experiencing the L1. Every beginner should use one... and me coming straight from the FZ50, they have missed an opportunity to have a brand loyal consumer.

I don't expect Panasonic to give Oly any competition in the pro body category, let me go price the E-3, has it come down yet?
    All that I share with you is purely my personal perspective based on my own experiences. Feel free to constructively criticize my opinions and my photos, please!
    Rob

E-5/14-35/50-200II/70-300/EC14/EC20/OM100 2.8