Thread: 14-54 AF hunting and zoom ring issues

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default 14-54 AF hunting and zoom ring issues

I bought an used 14-54 off Ebay recently and it just arrived, after mounting it and testing shortly I found two things that are bugging me. One is that it hunts alot in low light conditions and many times end up unfocused. The other being that when going past ~35mm from 54mm there's some resistance when turning the zoom ring, it's like a speed bump. Kinda hard to describe. It's only when I go from 54 down and not from 14 up past the same area.

Any kind 14-54 owners out there to comment on this?

Also what are your testing methods when you've bought a new lens to see it functions as it should? I'm a little new to this so any tips would be welcome.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Default Re: 14-54 AF hunting and zoom ring issues

I haven't experienced hunting with the lens, but that may be a function of the camera and the types of photography that I do.

Mine does not have any resistance in the zooming though.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

The zoom function on the 14-54mm lens should be very smooth. A speed bump on that lens or on the 50-200mm is usually indicative of the weather seal failing, usually a broken or out of place oring that's rolling between the lens barrels. This problem is more frequent in the 50-200mm zoom than the 14-54mm. Suggest contacting Olympus and asking them if they think it warrants a return for inspection/repair.

Note though, that speed bumps are not indicative of mechanical failure on all zoom lenses. Many zoom lens designs have some elements that change direction of movement at some point in the zoom action and the cam action when this occurs provides a typical speed bump feel.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Moo, you probably already know this, but just in case...make sure you don't have the camera set on CAF. That will make a lens "hunt" an unreasonable amount. Almost without exception the times I've seen any of my lenses behaving in that manner I find I've accidentally gotten the camera into CAF rather than SAF. Also, in low light (which you mention) unless you can find an area of at least some contrast any lens on any camera for that matter will "hunt". Usually they will finally just give up and that would be your out of focus situation.

As for the "hump" you mention, I don't see that on my 14-54, but it is much tighter than my "kit" lenses and doesn't focus as smoothly. That's due to the
    weather seals. Try you lens in brighter light and see if it seems to work normally. Then in low light, just make sure you are trying to focus on an area that has at least some visible contrast. If the lens doesn't respond in these situations, then probably a call to Oly is in order.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thanks for all the answers, I'm gonna test the AF issue more thoroughly and compare it to my other lens. Regarding the "speed bump", as it is right now it's mainly just annoying, but it's worrying if it's an indication of future problems. Anyone else with experience on the area? Is there any method I can use to test it further?

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Moo, I think the others have about covered the issue.
    EB is correct on the speed bump. If that lens should not behave that way there isn't much else to do about it but call Oly as he said.
    David