Thread: Color Problems with some IMACS

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Color Problems with some IMACS

Apparently some of the new generation of IMACS may not have a color capability suitable for image editing:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/20080401/tc_cmp/207000876
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Re: Color Problems with some IMACS

Do you know what day it is today?

Peter

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Not a joke as far as I know.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

エイプリル・フール and I speak Japenese.lol An Imac with a color problem Mr jobs must not be happy.
    Available on iPad and iPhone devices in the Ibook store app
    My Book
    Funny things birds do!
    By Peter Agostini

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by E B View Post
    Not a joke as far as I know.
    No but it might just as well be. Apple stock is up $4 today. True, the 20" is not rated as highly as the 24" but apparently investors don't see any basis for that lawsuit.

Peter

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I don't care about investors, they can pretty much take care of themselves. I thought that folks like us, who edit photos and maybe don't have a lot of spare money, might be interested in knowing about a computer screen that doesn't give true color for photo editing.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I don't either EB, but if I were to choose a Mac it would be a Pro Mac with a 20 inch screen and very good/best video card. Chers Pete
    Available on iPad and iPhone devices in the Ibook store app
    My Book
    Funny things birds do!
    By Peter Agostini

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thanks for the heads up EB. I am currently using a PC and have been contemplating getting the 20" IMac. Not any more!
    If I do go Mac I'll probably go with the Big Mac and a better monitor.
    David

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

No it is NOT april's fool joke, and thank you EB for the heads up.
    more details:
    http://arstechnica.com/journals/appl...-imac-displays

Apple just recently settled one lawsuit over color dithering on its notebook displays, and this is extension of that lawsuit. And there is GOOD reason for that.

The issue in general is, that in the cheaper LCD displays, they are using 6bits for colour representation, and the remaining colours are "made" by dithering techniques.

This is NOT only the issue with Apple, but any PC in general.

Hope this clarifies a little bit.
    Yours Bojan

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Bojan Volcansek View Post

This is NOT only the issue with Apple, but any PC in general.

Hope this clarifies a little bit.
    Yours Bojan
    Exactly.

Peter

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by E B View Post
    I don't care about investors, they can pretty much take care of themselves. I thought that folks like us, who edit photos and maybe don't have a lot of spare money, might be interested in knowing about a computer screen that doesn't give true color for photo editing.
    EB: I was trying to say, if Apple and its investors are not at all worried by this we should not be either. As Bojan says below, dithering is commonplace with LCD screens.

This lawsuit sounds to me like someone trying to get rich quick. it's doubtful it will succeed, although it may scare off some folks (like David?)

Peter

Thanks
    Feedback Score

It scares me too. I pay good money for my screens and expect them to perform as advertised. If they do not, I'll be happy to join a lawsuit against the manufacturer that's misadvertising the product I paid for.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

This:

http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html

(see second column under "Display",. reference to "millions of colors at all resolutions") seems to be at the core of this lawsuit - false advertising if in fact the 20" screen has but 256k colors and not 16.4m. like the 24"

However, the plaintiff needs to be able to show she was "damaged"*, and that she can tell the difference between 256k and 16.4m colors ( [s]he may well be able to do so if [s]he is a "professional" in the graphics field).

* for example, being able to prove a loss of income because photos edited at 256k colors came out "wrong" solely due to the fault of the monitor, and were rejected by the client. Good luck with that.

I expect Apple will at minimum improve the veracity of their claims, which is a good thing. Other computer makers will follow that lead one would hope...

Peter

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by refiningman View Post
    This:

http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html

(see second column under "Display",. reference to "millions of colors at all resolutions") seems to be at the core of this lawsuit - false advertising if in fact the 20" screen has but 256k colors and not 16.4m. like the 24"

However, the plaintiff needs to be able to show she was "damaged"*, and that she can tell the difference between 256k and 16.4m colors ( [s]he may well be able to do so if [s]he is a "professional" in the graphics field).

* for example, being able to prove a loss of income because photos edited at 256k colors came out "wrong" solely due to the fault of the monitor, and were rejected by the client. Good luck with that.

I expect Apple will at minimum improve the veracity of their claims, which is a good thing. Other computer makers will follow that lead one would hope...

Peter
    Apple already quietly settled similar lawsuit for their laptops.
    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...-displays.html

As EB pointed out, in my opinion this IS BIG issue, to quote EB which perfectly summarizes my thoughts:
    "It scares me too. I pay good money for my screens and expect them to perform as advertised. If they do not, I'll be happy to join a lawsuit against the manufacturer that's misadvertising the product I paid for."

Just my opinion,
    yours Bojan

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

I can tell with my latest mac book pro, the screen is no where near as good as my previous Power book. In fact I am quite disappointed with it. But I figure that is the issue with being a first generation buyer of the new screens. Next year I hope that it is a much better model and maybe I will buy another one. But I also am having issues with flickering, and a loose connection in the screen. This computer is not a imac, it is their top end 15" laptop. So I really expected much better.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Tony:

Hmmm.. I will be buying a new LapTop soon, I need it for broadband wireless internet access in RV camps around the USA (and Canada hopefully). It seems the Verizon, ATT etc. systems are much more usable with a PC Laptop rather than MAC (which appears to need a USB based "thing" hanging off the side as opposed to a built-in card unless you opt for the most expensive MacBook pro).

You are making my decision lean more to PC now.

Peter

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

Peter, when we traveled the country in the fiver we took our 17" Imac as well as the Compaq laptop,, both worked at all the camp sites we stayed at that offered wireless,,

I just purchased a new HP tower with their fastest processor as well as their w2408h monitor which is HDMI 1920 x 1200 and it is an exceptional screen,, set the colors up and I cannot believe how good and fast this equipment is,,

Derry

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I own one of the affected 20" iMacs, and I bought it knowing the screens aren't as good as the 24" (did some homework). Running an uncorrected monitor, I have to say that colour reproduction for the printed product is quite acceptable for amateur purposes (refer to my comments above) and I'm very happy with it. No doubt I'd be even happier with a 24", but I decided I don't actually need 'the best'. Other things to do with my money and all that.

Really, anyone claiming damages because they used a 20" iMac has a pretty thin case. I can't imagine anyone serious about imaging, or for whom colour reproduction is critical, not doing even the basic homework I did and just buying on the strength of Apple's claims.

If budget is a real issue (as for me), I would suggest you're never going to get far from this issue because AFAIK it's only high end screens that deliver true colour.

All that said, yes, if Apple has been disingenuous in their advertising, it's not acceptable.
    Alex H.
    Olympus E-500
    Zuiko 14-45, 12-60, 35 macro
    FL-36R Flash
    Aperture, iPhoto for iPad, Pixelmator

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Derry:

Yes I guess many campsites offer wireless these days, but I'm concerned about security. I've been told the best solution is to use the cell phone system (I think it's called EVDA or something like that) to connect to the internet. You may have seen those stupid AT&T ads with some English-sounding nerd slapping a card into his laptop to get to the Internet and stop it from "hiding", anywhere that you can get cell phone coverage (including inside your own fiver without having to go to the campsite office). That's the deal. I'm told Verizon's system is better than the others, I've yet to try it so can't comment.

Seems like a Dell or HP laptop to do what I want is about half the price of a Macbook. Tempting.

Peter

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Tony:

Hmmm.. I will be buying a new LapTop soon, I need it for broadband wireless internet access in RV camps around the USA (and Canada hopefully). It seems the Verizon, ATT etc. systems are much more usable with a PC Laptop rather than MAC (which appears to need a USB based "thing" hanging off the side as opposed to a built-in card unless you opt for the most expensive MacBook pro).

You are making my decision lean more to PC now.

Peter
    I still love the OS. Really, I don't know about the latest generation of MBP computers. I am really rough on my Laptops, and figure an average life span of 1.5 years for each. But I think that you really need to look at the computer before buying. The new enviromentally friendly screen, is just not as good (yet) as my old power mac. It is how it is.

Here is the write up on the newest model MBP's - But I have no hands on experience with them. (1 Generation newer than my laptop)
    MacBook Pro makes your ideas even more brilliant with a sharp, high-resolution screen. Choose the 15.4-inch, 1440-by-900-pixel or the 17-inch, 1680-by-1050-pixel digital display, with glossy and antiglare options. Or choose the new, optional high-resolution 17-inch LED backlit model for the optimal viewing experience. The 15-inch and 17-inch LED backlit displays are lighter, more power efficient, and they deliver full screen brightness the instant you turn them on. Both LED backlit displays are mercury-free — and the 17-inch high resolution display is also arsenic-free — so they're better for the environment.

As for a wireless card -
    I have been using a Sprint USB card on my MBP - it really is a very nice card. The Sprint wireless network, is very very good. I have used it from CA - Texas, on the road, and even NYC. Really the best data network in my opinion. (I never liked the voice network of nextel, but I can't complain at all about the data network.)
    So I would highly recommend the sprint wireless network.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Tony:

Thanks indeed for the advice. I'll be looking into all options and as you say, try before you buy. I'm equally at home with PC or Mac these days, my first LapTop was a Toshiba with a 10MB hard disk. That came to an inglorious end in Beijing when it fell off the airport screening conveyor on to the concrete floor.

I also prefer the Mac OS

Some folks on my RV-ing discussion board claim that the USB wireless broadband devices are slower than the built-in cards and that the software driver options for Macs are far fewer. Time to do some first-hand research.

Peter

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Now that I have really taken this off topic - Sorry E B - I haven't found that USB is slower, I just tried both cards, and I didn't like the express card because I think I would be less likely to remember to take it out of my laptop, and than I would be more likely to break it. The little Sierra Wireless USB card is very nice, when I need to upload something off my desktop computer, but still keep my DSL running normal I use the sprint card, and surf the net off my laptop on my home network. Really the upload speed for my sprint card is often faster than my DSL - I average from home for upload 70-90 KBPS where as my home DSL is only 56 kbps. My download though off my home internet is 300 kbps where as off the sprint network is only around 100-150 kbps. Really that isn't bad at all.
    If you go to test sites (such as speedtest.net, or others) they give me wildly different numbers, but that is my sustained upload and download speeds in real like.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

This lawsuit sounds to me like someone trying to get rich quick. it's doubtful it will succeed, although it may scare off some folks (like David?)
    Peter
    I'm not scared off, but am glad to hear that I didn't make the wrong decision on possibly purchasing a 20" IMac if it is not what Apple claims!
    After making a big investment in my new digital cam system, I am intending on making a rather large investment in a new computer,monitor,calibrator, and printer to compliment and enhance my digital experience.
    With all I read about monitor color matching and calibrating I would surely expect that the monitor I purchase will live up to the task!
    David