Thread: I need some light -

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default I need some light -

G'Day All -

I was recently asked to photograph a professional acquaintance’s daughter’s wedding. I will no doubt need a strobe for the standard ‘posed’ shots and since I only have the lowly FL-20 at my disposal I wonder if anyone here might know of any third-party units that are compatible with 4/3-system cameras and provide TTL metering and multi-directional bounce capability.
    > >
    The affordable FL-36 looks to be a decent unit; however, its lackluster recycling speed has me concerned. No doubt the FL-50 would meet all my photo needs but I’m not sure I want to invest in such an expensive unit at this time since the overwhelming majority of my shooting is done outdoors where I only occasionally need a strobe to eliminate unwanted shadows, etc.
    > >
    So, is there anyone here who can recommend a strobe unit that would be compatible with my E-1 and E-3, and provide TTL metering and multi-directional bounce capability?
    > >
    Thanks in advance!
    > >
    -lace w:st="on">leonlace>
    -leon

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    RE: My Posted Photos: C&C = welcome
    E-1 & E-3 // 14-54mm & 50-200mm SWD

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Default Re: I need some light -

Metz?

If no solution comes up drop me a PM, I probably have a FL-50 that I can sell if I need to.

But for probably around the same price as a used FL-50 you can get this metz flash -

Metz 48 AF-1 $249 from B&H.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I started off with a 36 and after much frustration at one small event I got a 50. It may be expensive but for me it was worth the money.

In smaller spaces where it doesn't need full power it recycles very quickly and even after a full power discharge, the recycle is very good on fresh batteries.

I don't know anything about other brands, but the metz does sound an interesting option.

Colin

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Tony –
    > >
    Thanks; that was a quick reply. The lace w:st="on">Metzlace> does look interesting and has many of the features of the FL-50, and at quite a savings. It isn’t that I’ll need all the power of the FL-50, but rapid recycling is a must.
    > >
    I’ve been saving for the new 50-200 SWD, but if I get the FL-50 a new telephoto lens is just going to have to wait – unless I get the 70-300. Oh, what to do? What to do?
    > >
    -leon

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Colin -

Thanks for the input. I'm getting closer to thinking that I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and go for it.

-leon
    -leon

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I bought a Metz from B&H and it has worked great. I would also recommend this unit as. http://www.metz.de/en/photo-electronics.html

GerryH
    E330, E520, Zuiko 14-42, Zuiko 14-45, Zuiko 40-150, Zuiko 11-22, Ziko 50-200,Sigma 50-500, Sigma 18-50EX DC Macro, Sigma 150/2.8 APO EX DG HSM Macro,Sigma 105/2.8, Sigma 55-200, Olympus EX25, virtual village focus screen, ME-1 Eyecup, Metz 44 Flash,Slik PRO400DX TriPod, Giottos MH7001-621 BallHead, Ownuser FX-FBH Battery Grip, 200+ legacy lenses.

http://picasaweb.google.ca/ghenton

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I have shot a wedding with my E300 (@100 ISO for everything), 14-54, 40-150 and FL36. I only missed 1 shot due to the recycle time - because my batteries were getting flat and the recycle time had dropped a bit.

If it is a one-off event and you know what you are doing shooting a wedding then it certainly can be done with a FL36. Yes, I wished for more power, but lets face it, ISO1250 on your E3 Plus the FL36 is really going to be very good and certainly easier than when I last did a wedding! The extra 3 or 4 stops using high ISO on you E3 will mean you will not be doing many full power flash shots, so the recycle time will be much quicker.
    About Bob

Daily Photoblog and Photography Blog

Need somewhere to host a photo - Free Image Hosting

E-3, HLD4, E300, HLD3, ZD11-22, ZD 14-45, ZD14-54, Sigma 30 f1.4, ZD35 Macro, ZD40-150(orig), ZD50-200, EC-14 and EX-25, fl-36.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Cool Re: I need some light -

Quote Originally Posted by SkyWriter View Post
    G'Day All -

I was recently asked to photograph a professional acquaintance’s daughter’s wedding. I will no doubt need a strobe for the standard ‘posed’ shots and since I only have the lowly FL-20 at my disposal I wonder if anyone here might know of any third-party units that are compatible with 4/3-system cameras and provide TTL metering and multi-directional bounce capability.
    > >
    The affordable FL-36 looks to be a decent unit; however, its lackluster recycling speed has me concerned. No doubt the FL-50 would meet all my photo needs but I’m not sure I want to invest in such an expensive unit at this time since the overwhelming majority of my shooting is done outdoors where I only occasionally need a strobe to eliminate unwanted shadows, etc.
    > >
    So, is there anyone here who can recommend a strobe unit that would be compatible with my E-1 and E-3, and provide TTL metering and multi-directional bounce capability?
    > >
    Thanks in advance!
    > >
    If you only need the FL-50 for the one shoot and live in the USA, have you considered renting a FL-50 instead of buying a new flash?
    http://www.prophotorental.com/product.asp?pID=64

At $6.30/day with a minimum 4 day rental, that is $25.20.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Meissner View Post
    If you only need the FL-50 for the one shoot and live in the USA, have you considered renting a FL-50 instead of buying a new flash?
    http://www.prophotorental.com/product.asp?pID=64

At $6.30/day with a minimum 4 day rental, that is $25.20.

I agree. You can rent equipment for a short amount of time to do a job.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    Real Name
    Jesse

I looked at all three Olympus flash offerings (at the time 3rd Party support was limited) and I opted for the FL-50. It was expensive back then, but they can be had cheaply these days. If you don't need the power you can always turn it down. But each person will have to prioritize their needs.

JW
    Jesse

Cameras
    Olympus: E-300
    Olympus: EPL7

Lenses and Stuff
    Olympus: 14-45, 14-54Mk-1, 40-150Mk-1, 35, EX-25, EC-14, HLD-3, ME-1, & RM-CB1
    Fotodiox: Pro 4/3 to m4/3 adapter
    Sigma: 70-200 (m4/3) 19, 30, & 60mm f/2.8 lenses

Lighting
    Olympus: FL-50
    Altman: 650 watt Fresnel
    Smith-Victor: (2) 720SG focusing floodlights
    FJ Westcott: (2) TD-5 Spiderlites

Photos
    Ask me

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Bob –
    > >
    You make a most excellent point, while you shot at ISO 100, I have the option to shoot at higher ISO (400, and maybe 800). I shot our Christmas dinner at ISO 800 with no fill light under fluorescent lighting and all went well, after I ran the ‘keepers’ through the free download version of Neat Image ®. For that shoot I didn’t want to rely on fill light (plus I wanted to see how good the E-3 would be at that ISO), and by golly, all went rather well.
    > >
    This wedding and reception will be at a local Bed & Breakfast in lace w:st="on">Floridalace>’s second oldest city (town), Micanopy, an old Indian trading post just south of my favorite stomping grounds, Paynes Prairie. The Herlong Mansion is the only B&B that I’m aware of in town and many weddings held there are performed outdoors (weather permitting). The area is well shaded so a late afternoon wedding would be perfect (from a photographer’s point of view).
    > >
    I’ve checked their website and the room used for a reception area has a reasonably low (white!) ceiling (as do the rest of the rooms) so that should help get the most mileage out of a small/medium power unit. I suspect that if I opt for ISO 400 I should be able to bounce my flash and still make use of f4-5.6 with the ZD 14-54mm zoom, which will be the only lens I’ll use. Then again, I may opt to bring the E-1 mounted with the 40-150mm zoom.
    > >
    Gerry –
    > >
    I agree. In my film shooting days lace w:st="on">Metzlace> was always considered one of the best third-party companies out there, along with Sun Pack and Vivitar. The Vivitar 283 was no doubt the benchmark. I managed to wear one of them out, along with a less expensive and almost as good Hitacon 3000 (made by lace w:st="on">Hitachilace>); both operated on four AA cells.
    > >
    Mike & Marcus –
    > >
    I confess I hadn’t considered renting, but that’s a good thought. The fact is, though, I do need to upgrade from my FL-20. I need something that will allow me to bounce my flash, and the FL-36 seems to do that well. I honestly don’t plan on shooting any more weddings, and if that should ever change then I reckon I’ll consider renting or buying an FL-50.
    > >
    JW –
    > >
    I’m not sure I consider ~$375 or so ‘cheap’ for a strobe; that’s more than double the best price I’ve found online for the FL-36. My other dilemma is that I really-really do need a longer telephoto lens. My plan was to next add the 50-200 SWD to my gear, but now that I need a strobe I’m considering the ZD 70-300mm zoom. I’ve seen some fine photos shot with that lens.
    > >
    Thanks All!
    > >
    -leon

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Have you considered a Vivtar 285HV and shooting in Aperture Priority or Manual? This could be fairly inexpensive. Also suggest you take a look at the strobist site to get some inexpensive setups for umbrellas etc. For the same price as an FL-50 you can get two complete 285's with stands, umbrellas and triggers.....

Thanks
    Feedback Score

aml -

RE: Vivitar 285:

Yes and no in a way. I've wished my old 283 was still up and running (and the 285 is the next stage in development/improvement), but I'd heard about excessive voltage being generated by the 'old' (analogue era) 'film' strobe units and that they had a tendency to fry the insides of digital cameras.

But I just read online that the latest 285 has been tweaked and no longer poses a threat to digital cameras. And I found 285s online for less than $100; now that's a deal! Unfortunately, there's a lot to be said about seamless TTL flash metering, which is a feature that I'm looking forward to having, and it looks as though the 285 is lacking in that feature.

As you point out, a couple 285s with umbrellas and stands would be a real bargain, especially for studio work, and something I'll keep in mind. Thanks!

-leon
    -leon

Thanks
    Feedback Score

G'Day Y'all,

Well, I just got me some light, got the Metz 48 AF-1. Thanks Tony! I was completely unaware that the Metz you recommended provided more or less 'seamless' TTL operation with E-system cameras.

I came real close to investing in the FL-36, but the more I thought about it the more I reckoned that in the long run I need the more rapid recycling times that the Metz provides. Granted, it isn't as powerful as the Oly-FL-50, but it is close, and I just saved more than $100. The savings will no doubt end up getting spent on my next tele-lens.

QUESTION: The Metz website mentions a 'wireless' slave function with this unit (and others).

Does this mean that this flash can be used on a bracket without using an extension cord? Or when I get a flash bracket will I need to get an extension cord?

Thanks!!!

-leon
    -leon

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I use the Metz 54 4i as my 2nd main with a m6 sca and with that sca it can be used as a slave in a limited fashion(non TTL) but it is wireless and it does work very well in auto or manual. the Metz 54 has a very good metering system and works very well with the E3 so I would think that the 48 would do so as well.I also have the 285hv and it is ok but as you said with the lack of features well in some situations it is just so much nicer having a good TTL flash.
    I would also suggest the 50-200 swd if you can afford it it is a very good lens and works well in event photography settings as well as so many others. It is one of those lenses once you have it you will probably never part with it.