Thread: E-420 and fisheye 8mm with EC-14

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Default E-420 and fisheye 8mm with EC-14

Some sample pictures at dc.watch.impress.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: E-420 and fisheye 8mm with EC-14

Looking VERY good... I really like the output from the E-420, something that had not happened with the E-410. Very "kodakish" pictures, and the E-420 is surprisingly good-looking with the 8mm FE. The E-420 has got me lusting, and in time I will probably buy it as my main camera (with the E-330 as a sidekick).

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

There seems to be a horrid amount of purple fringing in those images taken with the 8mm fisheye. Is that common with fisheye lenses (in general)?
    surfer Rob

E-5; EM5ii/14-35/50-200II/70-300/EC14/EC20/OM100 2.8/Leica m100-400/Leica m8-18

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Yup, all fisheyes exhibit increased purple fringing. However, I would not call the PF in the 8mm "horrible". It is actually pretty well controled, considering the PF exhibited in other fisheyes.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by srf4real View Post
    There seems to be a horrid amount of purple fringing in those images taken with the 8mm fisheye. Is that common with fisheye lenses (in general)?
    The front element of a fisheye is cut from a very large billet which means ideal glass will surely break the bank. A doublet meniscus is also extremely expensive to fabricate, so designs I've seen specs for just do the best they can with plain BK-7 glass. Unfortunately this leaves significant dispersion which is hard for further elements to fully correct. Purple fringing does clean up fairly well in software, however...

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Default Bending light around a corner

Quote Originally Posted by srf4real View Post
    The Zuiko 8mm f/3.5 fisheye has a 180 degree angle of view across the frame's diagonal. When you figure a telecentric design, that means the lens is bending light 90 degrees before it hits the sensor. 90 degrees! That's kind of like being able to see around a corner. In total, I think the Zuiko does a pretty damn good job of controlling all sorts of optical nasties.

I own the lens and love it.
    Regards,

Jim Pilcher
    Summit County, Colorado, USA

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

One of these days I may want to put the 8mm in an underwater housing, and hopefully the fringing wouldn't be as noticeable in a mostly blue environment such as the sea! So less light contrast doesn't seem to be affected as much as high contrast anyways...
    surfer Rob

E-5; EM5ii/14-35/50-200II/70-300/EC14/EC20/OM100 2.8/Leica m100-400/Leica m8-18

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Jens mentioned interest before in the 8mm +EC14 combination, so I'm hoping he'll take a look as well. FWIW, the only reason mentioned by the writer for combining these two were the ability to avoid the peripheral distortions without having to do cropping of the edges in pp. Since the resulting fl is 11mm, though, it would be interesting to see a comparison with photos from the 11-22mm lens taken at the wide end.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Hokuto View Post
    FWIW, the only reason mentioned by the writer for combining these two were the ability to avoid the peripheral distortions without having to do cropping of the edges in pp.
    No idea if it was mentioned, but another reason to do it is for the increased magnification at closest focus. This can provide extreme wide perspective bug/flower shots that can't be achieved otherwise.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by acme View Post
    No idea if it was mentioned, but another reason to do it is for the increased magnification at closest focus. This can provide extreme wide perspective bug/flower shots that can't be achieved otherwise.
    That's the possibility I was thinking of. When the E-3 was debuted in Tokyo, one of the speakers was a bug photographer who used that combination. Since the 8mm alone has a minimum focusing distance of about 2cm, I would assume you could get a lot closer with it and the EC14 than with the 11-22mm (haven't checked the min focusing distance on the latter, tho).

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    14 (100%)

The 8 mm fisheye and 1.4 tele converter make a great combo for underwater images. The 8 mm will focus inside the dome port at its closest focus distance, adding the 1.4 and an extension ring to the port allows the lens to focus close-up outside the port and puts a little distance between the dome and subject for better lighting.

In the first image you can see the dome pressed into the "body Glove" logo making a dent in the padded suit. In the second image the tele converter kept the dome out of the jaws of this large Panamic Green Moray Eel.

Phil Rudin

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Nice examples of what it does.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Very cool shots. Thanks for the examples.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Hokuto View Post
    That's the possibility I was thinking of. When the E-3 was debuted in Tokyo, one of the speakers was a bug photographer who used that combination. Since the 8mm alone has a minimum focusing distance of about 2cm, I would assume you could get a lot closer with it and the EC14 than with the 11-22mm (haven't checked the min focusing distance on the latter, tho).
    Seems the minimum focusing distance remains the same with EC-14 mounted, below is a sample shoot.
    Last edited by Johannes; 08-06-2009 at 08:57 AM.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

The MFD is the same, but the 1.4x TC magnifies the central portion of the frame, so you'll get a 1.4x larger image at the same focus distance.
    Chris