Thread: E-4X0, First impressions...

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    63 (100%)

Default E-4X0, First impressions...

Four hours experience and most of that was waiting for the battery to recharge!
    In my case, it's the E-410 with the 14-42 attached.
    It's small! But in a good way. I'm an old school shooter so the camera was held in my left hand and balanced in my right. This might be an issue when using the pancake as there's little to grab onto. I found no issue with the strap lugs. The camera/lens combination is so light that I think one has to be holding the camera completely wrong for the strap lugs to be an issue.
    As I have fairly large hands the fingers on my right hand were looking for more to hold. I think that the OwnUser grip will satisfy that need. I expect to see that next week. I'll also add a grip strap to it similar to the one I have on the E-330 that I bought from Gadget Infinity. The strap mounts to the strap lug and the tripod mount and is quite effective.
    The first few images were made in raw+SHQ JPG and I'll drop the JPG option based on my initial results. I'm not indicating that the JPGs were bad it's just that I'm so used to shooting ORFs that I can process them faster than messing with JPGs.
    As this section is not the photo section I'll link to an image made an hour or so ago.
    The barrel distortion of the 14-42 was expected as I've had the lens for several months. I do like the color rendition and may do some E-1/E-330/E-410 comparisons in the near future.
    So far, my initial impressions are quite positive. I think that the linked image may show that there's no issue with Dynamic Range. I believe that these cameras don't blow highlights rather the user's settings in the camera cause highlights to blow.
    Metering is Center Spot. I've used that setting for years. Center Focus point and S-AF. All of the camera settings are default.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Default E-410, your new toy

Hi Bill,

An E-410 huh? I'm still drooling over the E-420--soon! We'll have to get together and kill some time with our new toys. I dislike neck straps intensely, so I'll have to look into the wrist strap you purchased for your E-330.

I agree that the Oly cameras are not wanting in DR. The camera can capture far more than a screen or print can show. It's the photographer, as always, and his/her mastery of the discipline.
    Last edited by James Pilcher; 05-16-2008 at 08:23 PM. Reason: boredom
    Regards,

Jim Pilcher
    Summit County, Colorado, USA

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Re: E-410, your new toy

Quote Originally Posted by James Pilcher View Post
    Hi Bill,
    I agree that the Oly cameras are not wanting in DR. The camera can capture far more than a screen or print can show. It's the photographer, as always, and his/her mastery of the discipline.
    My feeling, from having driven an E-410 for about a year now, is that this is plenty true at ISO 100 but it gets much less true as you go up in ISO. Beyond ISO 400, the noise floor comes way up, which takes away most of your shadow range, and the highlights get... well, I don't have any science to explain it, the highlights just get funny. I can tell which of my shots are high ISO even from too far away to see the noise, just by that weird character (in the sky, most often). The few times I've been really happy with images I got at high ISO were subjects with very compressed tonal range, such as the lizard pic I posted here: a brown lizard on a brown log in front of brown rocks.

I'm really interested to see some samples from the new 420/520 taken under demanding conditions, to see what kind of improvement they have to offer. I see that DPR has posted some nice samples from the E420 today, but I flipped through and every single one of them is at ISO 100.
    E-620, E-410
    14-42, old 40-150, old 50-200, Sigma 30/1.4
    Metz 48 AF-1, Vivitar 285HV (broken, might fix some day)
    Canon(!) monopod

flickr.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: E-410, your new toy

There's one at ISO 400, it's of a horse. It looks pretty good, I have to say.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

Default ISO 100

I have to admit that I rarely think about anything beyond ISO 100, so your comments are very interesting. My fixation on ISO 100 may be one of the reasons I remain happy with my E-1.

Bill Turner seems to have discovered E-410 nasties too. He started another thread about appreciating his E-1 after using the E-410 for a short while.
    Last edited by James Pilcher; 05-18-2008 at 06:42 PM. Reason: insert hyperlink
    Regards,

Jim Pilcher
    Summit County, Colorado, USA

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Re: ISO 100

Quote Originally Posted by James Pilcher View Post
    I have to admit that I rarely think about anything beyond ISO 100, so your comments are very interesting. My fixation on ISO 100 may be one of the reasons I remain happy with my E-1.

Bill Turner seems to have discovered E-410 nasties too. He started another thread about appreciating his E-1 after using the E-410 for a short while.
    like you and Bill, I don't think my 410 is useless at all, but I have to shoot around its shortcomings. I use ISO 800 only when really necessary. I'll try to "stretch" 400 to a too-long shutter speed and hope for a lucky shot rather than use 800. If a shot needs 1600 I might or might not even bother. But outdoors on a sunny day, or on a tripod, or in a studio environment, I'm quite happy with it.

But anyway, that limitation is why I've got my eye on the E-520. When the E-3 came out I thought I wanted one, but more sober thought says that a body that big and that expensive is just not for me. The 520, OTOH, is a very reasonable size for me (I'd get used to the grip eventually, I'm sure), I expect the price to be reasonable, IS will be a boon, and it seems like they've done good things with the sensor -- I just want to see the evidence.

Besides, I love the control layout on my 410, and I'd hate to see it spoiled by a "professional" two-wheel setup
    E-620, E-410
    14-42, old 40-150, old 50-200, Sigma 30/1.4
    Metz 48 AF-1, Vivitar 285HV (broken, might fix some day)
    Canon(!) monopod

flickr.