Thread: Is it really necessary to use macromedia flash?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Thumbs down Is it really necessary to use macromedia flash?

Is it really necessary to use flash to display pictures that are attached to forum discussions? It looks like it started in the last day or two. I tend not to install flash on most of my linux systems, preferring to keep closed source software off of the system (and at work, my windows box seems to have firewall issues with this site that the linux systems don't).

As a user, I tend to also hate dynamic eye candy like flash and prefer more static sites, because often times it is form over substance. Also, flash tends to use more bandwidth and there are times when I'm doing the road warrior thing, and my bandwidth on my cell phone based internet connection is very limited due to signal strength.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Re: Is it really necessary to use macromedia flash?

I don't think it's flash. This "lightbox" effect is simple CSS and javascript combined.

But I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing: the effect that happens when you click an image that is attached to a post.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

You can just click on the thumbnail image instead, or right click it and open it in a new tab/window.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Johannes View Post
    You can just click on the thumbnail image instead, or right click it and open it in a new tab/window.
    True, but you have to do it fairly quickly, or else it starts to do its thing anyway. I don't care for it, and neither do I care for the viewing software for linked images either. At first I thought it was pretty cool, but now I find myself just right clicking on all images to open them in a new window. No big deal though.
    Nate

"There's only one rule in photography - never develop colour film in chicken noodle soup." - Freeman Patterson

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Cool Apology

I must apologize for assuming the whole site was using flash. The posting where I really noticed it was Tony's reply in the FL-50R thread, and in looking at it, the link he provided was flash, so it is understandable that I get the please install add-on page. FWIW though, I did download the latest Linux flash on one system, and it displayed the picture with the play button, but when I tried to run it, I got the you are not running the latest flash.

I do agree with ravenwing, that even if it doesn't use flash, the pop-up behaviour is kind of annoying.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenwing View Post
    True, but you have to do it fairly quickly, or else it starts to do its thing anyway. I don't care for it, and neither do I care for the viewing software for linked images either. At first I thought it was pretty cool, but now I find myself just right clicking on all images to open them in a new window. No big deal though.
    I use Firefox/ Safari, so I hold the CTRL and click the image, it opend in a new tab.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

The java opening of attachments really makes the photos look good. Having a similar lightbox effect. As a photo site, we should try to make the photos look as good as possible, so some will like it others won't. Sorry Micheal, I do have flash disabled on my laptop, and really it doesn't effect anything in the site.
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/433

So really flash and java, etc. Are part of the world, and I think that we need to to have a good looking forum.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Hi Tony,

May I ask what script you used to do this? Is it a free script? Is it only for vBulletin?

I may use it on one of the forums that I run.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

The effect is called - highslide You can probably google it to find where it would work for your needs.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Hi Tony,

Quote Originally Posted by tspore View Post
    The java opening of attachments really makes the photos look good. Having a similar lightbox effect. As a photo site, we should try to make the photos look as good as possible, so some will like it others won't.
    while I agree about the light-box effect looking good, I must disagree that the java script is good for the photos.

In my recent post showing comparison shots with different filters, the script doesn't show my image in full size but rather makes a crude downsizing with very ugly resizing effects visible.

Most apparent examples of the artifacts are those horrible diagonals of the window edge and the text and, needless to say, the artifacts are so bad that no difference can be seen between the different filters unless the comparison image is opened in another window.

Is there any reason for downsizing the image which is popping up when the smaller embedded image is clicked? I can understand that you want the posts to look nice but once someone likes to see what an image really looks like, I can't see why it should be reduced by the site software. I mean, I post an image at a certain size for a reason and I count on others being able to see it the same way as I do.
    Motto: Wildlife won't come to me unless I go to it.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    My Wildlife Photos: jensbirch.smugmug.com

E-5, E-3, E-510, IR-E-1 ,E-P2
    ZD: 7-14, 14-54, 50, 50-200 SWD, 90-250/2.8, 300/2.8, EC-14, EC-20
    Peleng 8mm fisheye, shift Tamron SP 17/3.5, Tokina AT-X 300/2.8
    FL-50R, FL-40, FL-20, HLD-2, HLD-4, cleaved ZD EX-25 w. electric bypass, 250D, 500D, KatzEye Plus OptiBrite
    Feisol CT-3472LV and CM-1471

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Ok, I have always had a Java resizer for people who have to link in impossibly big photos onto the site. But let me see what I did before. For now its disabled.
    When you click on the image it opens up to the intended size, and looks very very nice.
    Much better on Black than Blue. But for now I will let it go.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Thanks Tony,

I didn't mean that the images embedded in the posts need to be the actual size, just the ones popping up. However, that is how they appear now in the post I referred to. Looks perfect nevertheless :-)

Cheers, Jens.

FL-50R, FL-40, FL-20, HLD-2, HLD-4, cleaved ZD EX-25 w. electric bypass, 250D, 500D, KatzEye Plus OptiBrite

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by jebir View Post
    Hi Tony,

while I agree about the light-box effect looking good, I must disagree that the java script is good for the photos.

In my recent post showing comparison shots with different filters, the script doesn't show my image in full size but rather makes a crude downsizing with very ugly resizing effects visible.

Most apparent examples of the artifacts are those horrible diagonals of the window edge and the text and, needless to say, the artifacts are so bad that no difference can be seen between the different filters unless the comparison image is opened in another window.

Is there any reason for downsizing the image which is popping up when the smaller embedded image is clicked? I can understand that you want the posts to look nice but once someone likes to see what an image really looks like, I can't see why it should be reduced by the site software. I mean, I post an image at a certain size for a reason and I count on others being able to see it the same way as I do.
    Perhaps you didn't notice, but when you click on the thumbnail it brings up a larger version of the image. There is a limit to the size it will initially display, though. BUT, in the lower left hand corner there is a button that allows you to view the image full size. So if the image is larger than 800(?)x??? it's a two click process to see the full size image(at least I think it's full sized). Personally I prefer the thumbnail look so this script makes the process much easier for me since I don't have to create and link a thumbnail of each image I post. This is all relevent to hotlinked images, whereas the attatched file process is a bit bulky and slow. So a <20 post member really likes the tagged hotlink script, but dislikes the attached photo script. Take it with a grain of salt
    cRy-Guy => Ryan

In my bag:
    E-410, 14-42, 40-150, 14-54, FL36R

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cRy-Guy View Post
    Perhaps you didn't notice, ... BUT, in the lower left hand corner there is a button that allows you to view the image full size.
    Correct, I missed that!

I have nothing against the idea of having to click on a reduced size image to see the full size one. I just didn't understand why there would be a size limit to the latter.

Cheers, Jens.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Basically what it did was reduce to 650 pixels or so, than it opened it up to your webpage screen size, and finally it gave you a 100%.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Ok I went to the old school resize mod. Basically you can set your own prefrences in the usercp
    http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/pro...do=editoptions
    But it basically stops images over 650 px wide from being displayed by default on the page, you have to click on it to open in a new window, but you can customize it to your hearts content.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I noticed that this morning I can't open any new threads. I can reply to threads as this comment does, but cannot initiate anything new. Tried the Discussion forum, Photo forum and this forum. Is this a problem with the forum or something that's happened to my system? The posting rules for me indicate that I'm still able to initiate threads but when I try the page that opens doesn't include an input form for the comment/photo.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by E B View Post
    I noticed that this morning I can't open any new threads.
    when I try the page that opens doesn't include an input form for the comment/photo.
    Same here. /Jens

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by E B View Post
    I noticed that this morning I can't open any new threads. I can reply to threads as this comment does, but cannot initiate anything new. Tried the Discussion forum, Photo forum and this forum. Is this a problem with the forum or something that's happened to my system? The posting rules for me indicate that I'm still able to initiate threads but when I try the page that opens doesn't include an input form for the comment/photo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jebir
    Same here. /Jens
    These posts have nothing to do with Macromedia Flash. You guys should have posted your complaints in a new thread.

Sorry! I have the problem, too.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I know, you couldn't resist! Well I probably would have done the same thing.

Well, it's good to know that I share the problem with you guys and it's not my computer's problem though, because I wouldn't have a clue about how to fix this. It's probably some simple switch Tony needs to set in the forum controls.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Ops I screwed up a line of the PHP code. My bad. Odd that it affected new postings. OK fixed now.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

For what it's worth I like the look Tony.

Thanks,
    Oly

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tspore View Post
    The java opening of attachments really makes the photos look good. Having a similar lightbox effect. As a photo site, we should try to make the photos look as good as possible, so some will like it others won't.
    Hi Tony,

Maybe you can help me with something. I recently posted a couple of Blue Jay shots in the "Photo" section of the site. I was so surprised to see how much the viewing software degraded the image quality that I provided a link to the photo in another gallery.

You can see the posts here:

http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/showthread.php?t=37285

and here:

http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/showthread.php?t=37382

In both cases the same source file was used both at naturescapes and here. Am I doing something wrong when posting to cause such a loss in detail?

Cheers,

Bruce

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ZuikoGuy View Post
    Hi Tony,
    In both cases the same source file was used both at naturescapes and here. Am I doing something wrong when posting to cause such a loss in detail?
    Hey Bruce,
    Really I have the quality set for 95% the highest setting. So I don't really know what to do to make it looks better. But I would agree that the quality of attachments are a bit lacking.
    But I will see what tech support can suggest.