Thread: Pristine Beauty

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Pristine Beauty

At first glance, this image seems to capture an area of pristine beauty almost untouched and devoid of life. But if you look closely, there are signs of life all around. There are small tracks in the immediate foreground between you and the rocks. Just ahead of us at the foot of the hill to the right front, I can see where buffalo moved the snow while feeding. Looking carefully along the edges of the river and also at the top of the slope to the far left there are several other sets of tracks. In the distance, the black specks near the river are buffalo grazing. Silent and cold, yes. Alone, no.

Camera: E-3
    Lens: DZ 7-14mm at 7mm
    Shutter speed: 1/800
    Aperture: f11
    Shooting mode: P
    Metering mode: ESP
    ISO: 100
    WB: Auto
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Default Re: Pristine Beauty

EB:

A nice capture. The 7mm FL seems to be causing some gradation in color across the sky?

Peter

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thank you. No, I don't think the lens was causing any gradation and I wasn't using a filter, of course. The sun was just about 90 degrees to my left and the lens was capturing an extremely wide angle of view, so it's not unnatural that there would be a little difference in the lighting both of the sky and the land as well since the viewpoint changes so dramatically as you look from left to right or top to bottom. So, I really think the lens was capturing the scene as it looked. I expect that's one of the mild gotchas of using an extreme wide angle lens. I am extremely happy with the minute amount of distortion and the extreme sharpness of this lens at such a wide angle. It could hardly be better. Olympus has accomplished a magnificent technological achievement with this lens and even I, a non wide angle shooter, can appreciate it.
    Last edited by E B; 06-21-2008 at 07:55 AM.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thumbs up Re: Pristine Beauty

EB
    You said you were saving the best for last.I like this very much!
    And your descriptive narrations.
    David

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I do think this is one of my favorites of yours. The composition is spot on.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

At 7mm, you must have been very close to the rocks and the stream, E B. That perspective gives a circular sweep to the stream and the edge of the plain that makes for an interesting composition. Three colors (blue, white, brown) bring out the stark beauty of the scene. A refreshing view on the first day of summer!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Very nice EB. It's also a nice scene to remember this afternoon when it's in the high 90's. It's like Tony said, first day of summer and we need to think coooool.
    DonR -
    Everything is now sold.
    E-30-ME-1/9-18/14-54mkI/40-150mkII/50-200 SWD/70-300/Sigma 50-500/50 f2/EC-14/EX-25/Leica V-LUX 1/TCON 17/Raynox 6600 Pro/FL 50/ Panny DMC-ZS5
    Images at http://donr.zenfolio.com/

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thank you. I do like this image. I hope that the ones I continue to post over the next week will also meet with your approval.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thank you. I agonized a bit over the composition, as I'm not a big fan of ultra wide angle shots and I could make this into 2-3 landscapes with my more frequently used focal lengths of 20-35mm. I did like it though and, since I carry the 7-14mm just in case of need, thought I'd give it a try.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thank you. Yes, I was very close to the rocks and the slope to my front. Those little tracks to my immediate front give a clue to the scale. They are hardly bigger than the end of one of my fingers. I could have easily put my foot on the nearest rock with one short step.

I'm ashamed to say I never realized this was the start of summer. I must be getting old to let a changing of the seasons slip by without notice. I'll post a warmer season image tomorrow.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thank you. Fortunately, it will be in the pleasant 70's-80's all this coming week where I'm located. I do have a number of nice snow pictures to post this coming week for those of you sweltering in the heat.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Beautiful photo, Bob.
    Sure the snow photos can cool us a bit. Today we have 93F...
    Leaving Hongkong in few hours to Taiwan and then Okinawa .... wish me luck
    (Typhoon FengShan exepected a direct hit to Taiwan On Wednesday/Thursday)

See you next week.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thank you.

Wow, couldn't you postpone your vacation? A vacation in the middle of a typhoon can't lead to many good photos though it may cool you off fast enough. Well, the best of luck on avoiding it however you may arrange that.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Nice.

You don't happen to have a similiar shot of this landscape with the 11-22mm at 11mm do you ? Or one at 14mm ?

I'd like to see how much more of the scene you would've gotten at 11mm.

Right now it doesn't seem as extremely wide as you would think. If is were shot at 14 or 12mm I would believed that too. Very good results at 7mm this is.
    E-30/E-PL1/OM-D E-M5/E-M1
    ** Micro 14-42mm ** Micro 45mm f/1.8 ** Micro 17mm f/1.8 **
    ** 40-150mm II ** 9-18mm ** 12-50mm **
    ** ZD 150mm f/2 ** 12-60mm SWD ** 50-200mm SWD **
    ** Sigma 30mm f/1.4 ** EC-20 ** Two FL-36R **
    ** Samyang 85mm f/1.4 ** OM 50mm f/1.8 + f/1.4 **
    ** Leica Elmarit 180mm f/2.8 ** Vivitar 35-70mm f.2.8-3.5 **
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/thx1138sgl/

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thank you. Yes, it's really that wide. I did leave the EXIF data attached to the images. If you don't have the capability to read them, search the internet for Kuso. That's a free utility which, when installed on your computer, will allow you to right click an image and select from the resulting menu the ability to read the image EXIF data.

Now, as to your specific question, the answer is yes I have that scene captured at a longer focal length, but not at 11mm or with the 11-22mm lens. I have essentially that same scene with the 7-14mm lens at 13mm and also the 14-35mm lens at 14mm. The longer focal lengths, of course, meant that the entire scene as presented in my original image couldn't be included and I moved a few feet to the right or left trying for various framing possibilities. Here they are:

Lens: DZ 7-14mm at 13mm
    Shutter speed: 1/800
    Aperture: f11

Lens: DZ 14-35mm at 14mm
    Shutter speed: 1/1250
    Aperture: f9
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Love the photo Bob. The buffalo add to the scene, how cool is that. How do you post like this to the thread, also with your exif below?
    Cheers, and God bless
    Marc VanderArk
    Please, comment on my blog and image sites:
    http://mrvphotography.wordpress.com/
    http://mrvphotography.zenfolio.com/

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Excellent shot Bob. the longer focal length shots have much less impact, IMHO. And the exposure is very good, there is plenty of detail in the snow.
    John
    "Take nothing but photographs, leave nothing but footprints".
    Flickr gallery & 4/3 illustrated Northumberland Cottage wesbite

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thank you. I post like this by editing an image that I want to post into two sizes with different names; the first image is a max of 600x600 pixels and the second is a max of 1200x1200 pixels. I normally do that using Photocleaner which is excellent for downsizing. Normally the smaller image is compressed to less than 100K and the larger image is compressed to less than 300K to allow dialup users to look at them. I then upload both images to a hosting service (I use Photobucket). There is a direct link listed under each image that I upload to Photobucket. To post the images on this forum I click the new post button and in the window that opens I click the little yellow mountain icon at the top of the window. That opens another new window asking for a link to a photo. I copy the direct link listed under the smaller image that I'd previously uploaded to Photobucket into this window and click ok. That puts the smaller image into a post on this forum. Then I select that image and click on the world/chain icon at the top of the window and a new box opens asking for the direct link of the image I want to link the smaller image to and I copy/paste the direct link from the larger image that I previously uploaded to Photobucket into that box. That will give you a small image that will open directly in a post on this forum and that will, if you click on it, open a larger image as well. As to the EXIF, Photobucket doesn't strip the EXIF data from any images. If you leave the EXIF data attached when RAW developing and editing and different software have different procedures on that, it will still be attached to the image when posted here with the above procedures.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thank you. I agree about the shorter focal length being a better representation of the scene.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thank you for your reply, I will try that with my zenfolio account.
    Cheers, and God bless
    Marc VanderArk
    Please, comment on my blog and image sites:
    http://mrvphotography.wordpress.com/
    http://mrvphotography.zenfolio.com/

Thanks
    Feedback Score

My pleasure.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob