Thread: Green and Soft

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Green and Soft

The green color and soft curves in this image form a pleasing symmetry for me that can make me forget how hard this land is. There is little water and summer temperatures may reach 110F while winter temperatures plunge to 30F.

Camera: E-3
    Lens: DZ 14-35mm at 35mm
    Shutter speed: 1/640
    Aperture: f5.6
    Shooting mode: P
    Metering mode: ESP
    ISO: 100
    WB: Auto
    Last edited by E B; 06-24-2008 at 02:46 PM.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Default Re: Green and Soft

I must say that this one is very interesting. This reminds me of Teletubbies.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

If you're looking at the larger version, there is a lot for the eye to wander over and evaluate. I find it both busy and restful, something of contrasts.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I think the small trees scattered in the image really give it a sense of depth. This is a very good image, I love the scene. It seems to have a cyan tint to it. Were these close to the original colors? Very nice photo indeed.
    Cheers, and God bless
    Marc VanderArk
    Please, comment on my blog and image sites:
    http://mrvphotography.wordpress.com/
    http://mrvphotography.zenfolio.com/

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thank you. The colors are as the E-3 captured them using auto WB and are as I remember them, though memory can fail on such a point after this amount of time. I didn't adjust them. Local time was just 08:00 hours and there wasn't an obvious white such as a cloud in the image so the E-3 might be a little off. Theoretically, I should have set the E-3 WB to about 5400K to catch the color of the morning light but I've liked the E-3's auto WB so much that I seldom bother with that any more. That does bring up the interesting question of the E-3's auto WB. I have heard a few comments from folks on this forum who haven't always gotten good results. Personally, while it's always possible to find an exception, I've been very pleased overall with the E-3 auto WB. I'll be posting an image this coming Saturday that was captured indoors under mixed lighting (the different lights appear in the image) and I was exceptionally pleased with how the E-3 rendered it.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Excellent use of subtle colors... you have a tendency to use colors with impact without needing to juice them up with the saturation slider. Interesting contrast of curved lines in the ground with the perfectly flat horizon and flat tone of the sky.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thank you. I'm trying to capture nature pretty much as it really is, rather than the dramatic presentation that some folks envision.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

EB: I see you are still carrying the 14-54 lens.

Th sky on my (color corrected) monitor looks borderline cyan. It would be interesting to see a version with the color balance a bit more red. Have you experimented with the tint?

Peter

Thanks
    Feedback Score

That's cool. It is interesting to see the different colors that landscapes give off. You can shoot one day, and the next will be something totaly different. I like the pastelish colors given off by the light in this image, great capture.
    Cheers, and God bless
    Marc VanderArk

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thank you for mentioning the lens. This was taken with the 14-35mm lens and I erroneously said otherwise. I've corrected that now. I do still carry the 14-54mm mounted on my E-510 which I use as a backup camera.

Thank you for the comment on the sky tint. No, I haven't experimented on altering it. This image, like most of my other images, will never be seen by anyone else again. It is already in my archives and I don't cross post imges to other forums or sell any copies, so this image will never see the light of day again other than through the experience I've gained with it which I hope to apply to future shoots.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thank you. I have a set of images from this general area where the land is contoured roughly like in this image, but there is a high iron content in the soil. That results in some very vivid rose, pink and yellow colors to the hills. I haven't posted any of those because the colors are so vivid they look unreal to anyone who hasn't seen them with their own eyes.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score

The image reminds me of a Stephen Johnson image, quite like something from his national parks archives.
    Cheers, and God bless
    Marc VanderArk

Thanks
    Feedback Score

That's quite a compliment. Thank you. I can't say that I aspire to equal any of the professionals, past or present, but I do have a lot of fun camping and shooting and they seem to be mutually supporting hobbies. I'm just in it for the fun.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thumbs up Re: Green and Soft

EB,
    As someone else said, the few trees give a good sense of proportion to the scene. Love the soft greens.I'll bet that everything turns brown once it heats up out there. Another beauty!
    David

Thanks
    Feedback Score

EB

These would be the bad lands of SD (demanding terrain even in the best of times), right?

Its been many decades since I was in that part of the country but Ill never forget the vistas, especially sunrise and/or sunset, the sun low on the horizon casting long shadows across the rusty landscape.

In case you cant tell, I really like this photograph a lot! Besides rekindling fond memories it really does justice to the rugged features of this land where the winters are long and dry, and spring, summer and fall are far too short and cold.

For those who prefer greener pastures and bluer skies I suspect a polarizer or ND filter would help intensify the greens and blues, but this photo is fine just as it is.

-leon
    -leon

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    RE: My Posted Photos: C&C = welcome
    E-1 & E-3 // 14-54mm & 50-200mm SWD

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thank you. Some of the vegetation stays green right through the hot summer but a lot, as you mention, does dry up.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Thumbs up Re: Green and Soft

Simply beauitful EB , you would thing that those Mountainsd road were not so big and roads so small from the location , but they are up close. Cheers Pete
    Available on iPad and iPhone devices in the Ibook store app
    My Book
    Funny things birds do!
    By Peter Agostini

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thank you. Yes, these are the Badlands of South Dakota, but this is the south side where there are no paved roads. Few people see this area, summer or winter.

I do carry a 77mm polarizer for my 14-35mm and 35-100mm lenses, but probably don't use it as much as I should. If there is sunlight, I usually don't mind if the landscape has soft colors or the sky is washed out. I just pretty much try to capture the scene as it appears to my eye, not the way I would like it to look. Now if there is no sunlight and I've just got a cloudy flat lighting, that drives me nuts and I'm much more apt to try the polarizer to see if I can add just a little visual punch to the scene.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thank you. I find it a place of great beauty. You can judge the scale from those trees in the distance. They are fairly short because of a lack of water, maybe 40 feet tall or so. The little roads are in fact just gullies were rain water has run off of the hills.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score

A nice subtle landscape with many subtle interesting features

Steve

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thank you.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I have to be honest and say I have the same feelings about the sky as Marc and Peter, but I love the soft greens and textures of the hills. I wish I could do subtle colors like that.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

No problem at all. I was relying too heavily on the E-3's AWB when I should have set the WB manually to 5400K for either early morning or late afternoon shots. That's a lesson relearned for my next photo expedition. That having been said, I think the E-3's AWB has been working extremely well for me, even before the firmware update. This coming Saturday, I'll post some indoor shots that were taken under mixed incandescent and flourescent lighting. I think the E-3 handled them extremely well using just the AWB.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob