Thread: The Unseen Landscape

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default The Unseen Landscape

The unseen landscapes are the scenes that you routinely see outside your carís window as you drive by. They are completely unremarkable because they are so common and you donít really pay attention to them. The colors are routine, the actions are routine and there is nothing of remarkable beauty or attention getting interest. So we drive by, and donít give the view a second glance. I stopped, here, at one of those typical scenes of uninteresting normality at 07:32 hours and took this image just on the off chance that someone, somewhere, might find this one scene of some interest though Iíd been driving by similar scenes by the mile and the minute without paying any particular attention.

Camera: E-3
    Lens: DZ 14-35mm at 35mm
    Shutter speed: 1/400
    Aperture: f4.5
    Shooting mode: P
    Metering mode: ESP
    ISO: 100
    WB: Auto
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: The Unseen Landscape

I have to admit, in accordance with your statement about this landscape, I don't find much to immediately capture my interest. But then you start to notice how the curve of the little hill in the foreground mirrors the curve of some of the mountains further back, and the patches of steam, and the bison(?) grazing at the edge of the stream, and what seems to really be important to this photo are details. Perhaps it's not so interesting resized for web viewing, but I suspect it would have a lot more impact as a large print.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Yep, those are buffalo. Glad you found something of interest in the details.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Kalispell Montana, mere minutes from Glacier Park
    Thanks
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

EB,
    I find that a very common thought as I traverse through NW Montana everyday. We start to take for granted what others marvel at. My recent attempts at landscapes really didn't impress me that much, but people who look at sand everyday love mountain pictures. Us who live in the mountains, love beach pictures. While your photo may not have much for "attention grabbers" it pulls me in to wanting to sit under the tree's on the left and just have a look see, and watch the buff's for a while.
    Nicely done as always

Jim

Thanks
    Feedback Score

For those of us who are a long way away and haven't yet had the opportunity to visit such a stunning looking area, your landscape(s) are always worth looking at.

My feet are itching.....

regards,

Gordon
    --------------
    Gordon
    E-1, E-520, 11-22, 14-42, 14-54, 40-150, 50-200, ec-14

http://www.pbase.com/greyfriars

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thank you. I must admit that it's just a nice and quiet scene like this, maybe with a few animals around, where I like to stop, have a meal and rest awhile.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Nothing like good photography to set off a fit of wanderlust... I'm considering taking my third visit to the beach this week. Also wishing there were some mountains nearby, but thankfully I have photos here to look at.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thank you. That's a very nice compliment. I very seldom see anyone from the UK visiting here. I do know a nice English lady who runs The Fat Cat Cafe out west and I always stop and eat there (I've developed a liking for Scotch Eggs) when I'm passing within 100-200 miles of her. This fox is sitting in the front of her restaurant.

I met one English family last year, and another one 3-4 years before that. Overall, relatively few visitors from western europe, particularly the UK. I do see a lot of east european visitors, particularly from Poland and the Czech Republic and, for the first time this year a tour group from Russia. There are always a lot of Japanese and other folks visiting from the western pacific areas. If you're of a mind to travel and visit, the opportunity will never be better than now when the dollar is relatively low. Still time to make plans to travel either this year or next.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score

A well constructed image that leads the eye to follow the lines and explore. I find the figure three to be important in constructing an image. In your case EB three areas of blue, three areas of land , three plumes of smoke. Layer upon layer of interest. I wouldn't hang it on my wall but i like it.

David

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Well, I guess you're right about that. I always start off the planning for a new trip by looking at my pictures of the last couple of trips.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thank you. I like it enought that I haven't tossed it out. I've already got 39 8x10 images hanging from my walls, and any newcomers have to be good enough to replace one of my best from the past to earn a place.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score

This year is out, but next year? Who knows?

regards,

Gordon
    --------------
    Gordon
    E-1, E-520, 11-22, 14-42, 14-54, 40-150, 50-200, ec-14

http://www.pbase.com/greyfriars

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Well, keep it in mind. There's also the fringe benefit that while here you can pick up some new camera equipment at half to two thirds the price you'd pay at home.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    63 (100%)

E B,
    I'm in agreement.
    Too many times we pass sites that seemingly are quite uninteresting yet if we take a moment, or two, we can certainly discover the beauty that surrounds us.
    Your image is a testament to those thoughts. Thanks!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Thanks E B for posting what some find as uninteresting or common. I find it peaceful and it lets my imagination wander through the sparsely populated trees and stroll along the banks of the steaming ponds. A very quiet and serene setting to me. I'll keep this desktop up a while . Thanks.
    FLICKR
    Have a great day!
    Lorey

Please ask before editing images. Thank you.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thank you. I thought there might be something there for those folks unfamiliar with that country.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thank you. Glad you enjoyed it. My imagination is a good traveler also. I'm trying to keep up with it.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

"Unremarkable"? "Common"? It's certainly not, but I take your point. We become blind to what we habitually see around us, and that's a shame. I constantly remind myself to try to see with fresh eyes, as though I'm seeing something for the very first time.

That's a very upright and dapper little fox, by the way!
    Nate

"There's only one rule in photography - never develop colour film in chicken noodle soup." - Freeman Patterson

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I like this, EB. Even if it seems somewhat mundane at first glance, you've framed a scene with good lines, interesting details, and pleasing colors.

Not every scene is a rock'em, sock'em eye punching glory shot. I often tend to prefer those that aren't ... they take more work to see.

Godfrey

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thank you. The fox was very cooperative with me. He let me take whatever pictures I wanted and then trotted off down the center of the street and turned the corner about a block away. I asked in the restaurant after they opened if they usually see a fox around or maybe feed one, but they said they never see any foxes in town.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thank you. This is the type of quiet place I usually like to stop and have a meal at.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thumbs up Re: The Unseen Landscape

EB
    I cannot add anything else to whats already been said about that scene.
    Very nice in all respects.
    100-200 miles for Scotch eggs
    Cool Fox

David

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thank you. Yes, 100-200 miles. I generally plan my expeditons for about 7,500 miles, so a detour of that size is relatively insignificant. I'd never had Scotch Eggs before and like them as well as the excellent company. The trip I have planned for September takes me by there for that very reason.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I think the fox is downright charming. An outstanding cointribution to the local color. Aseop came and found a fable. You took a picture. All in all a rather complete day I'd say, even if the only meal was Scotch Eggs!
    fourthirdsphoto.com: Attitude Olympus Camedia 5050 5.0 MP; Stylus 770 SW 7.1 MP; E-510 IS 10.0 MP; Zuiko Digital Lenses; Cokin CFS; Pentax SLR's; Panasonic HDC-TM 700 14.2 MP, 35MM WA 1920 x 1080 Full HD, Adobe Software. www.rvpics.com/forums: Attitude 26fsak TH, 07 Tundra 5.7 iForce V8 SR5 TowMax, Supersprings, Shocker Hitch, Bilsteins, Prodigy. 4 Kayaks, 4 bikes, 5hp portaboat, 2 boys w/lotsa stuff.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thank you. The fox was a pleasant surprise. Like most of the animals I photograph, he just showed up while I was going about doing my business of shooting landscapes or eating. As to the eating, I do very well on my expeditions. I carry enough dried vegetables and beans (15 varieties) to provide 70 servings. I also carry 40 different freeze dried meals, most containing meats of some type. At the rate of two meals per day I could stay out about 55 days without having to depend on civilization. I seldom stay out anywhere near that long, the average expedition being 3-4 weeks. The large supply of food though, ensures that I have a big variety available to me and I don't get tired of my own cooking too often, though I do hate to cook in the rain and often use that as an excuse to drive to some town and try out a local restaurant. On my next expedition, currently scheduled for September, I'll take a couple of snaps of my kitchen setup for anyone who is interested. As to the Fat Cat Cafe, they have wonderful all you can eat buffets on the weekends from about 08:00-14:00 hours. I'd encourage anyone in the area to stop by. The lady who runs the place makes all of her own pastries and deserts and there is always a large selection available. I always develop a sweet tooth sometime during my trips.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob