Thread: Epson R1900 Photo Printer

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

Talking Epson R1900 Photo Printer

I recently bought my first "dedicated" photo printer, the Epson R1900.
    I basically chose this model at the store, with little actual research, although I did remember reading some raves about it from BEFORE it came out. I figured I could always return it if I wanted to. I definitely DON'T want to, this is a great printer.

I was very astounded and impressed with the photos coming out of this thing ! It has 8 separate ink cartridges that cost about $13 each to replace. I am low on a few colors but have not had to replace any of them just yet, after maybe 30 8.5x11s, one 13x19, and a couple of smaller pictures. I have used a LOt of the Photo Black cartridge, due to some of the pictures I chose to print and the fact that a handful of them (including the 13x19) were pano's with pretty big black borders.

The 8 colors are Photo Balck, Matte Black, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Orange (!!!), Red, and a Gloss Optimizer. The Gloss Optimizer replacement cart's come 4 to a pack for the $13. It prints up to 13x19 sheets, Inkjet Printable optical media, and accepts rolls for up to (I believe) 13x44 inch prints.

I have been amazed at the quality of the prints I've gotten out of this machine, especially without having calibrated my monitor. I can only wonder if this is what I'm getting out of a $499 printer, how much better things could look with a more expensive printer. But who needs one ? This thing is great.

I have read a few reviews after buying this printer that say this is a good printer for people who want rich, colorful, glossy photos and maybe not do good for those wanting to print a lot of black and white. The 3 black and white photos I've printed look great, so I'm not sure what they're talking about. I have not yet printed any images on matte paper or without the gloss, but I've bought some sample packs of various papers today and will update this review after printing some matte prints.

I really haven't got anything bad to say about this printer. I've had it for 2 weeks or so and so far, everythings great.

Jeff

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Default Re: Epson R1900 Photo Printer

I'm glad to hear that you like the R1900 because I am also getting one for my birthday next week. I sent a request for sample photos and Epson sent me a colorful toucan print that just blows me away with the perfection even right up to my nose! I expect a learning curve, as I've never had a real photo printer before besides the 3 in 1 budget job type... any good tips on learning about color profiles and such?
    Last edited by srf4real; 07-19-2008 at 05:56 PM.
    All that I share with you is purely my personal perspective based on my own experiences. Feel free to constructively criticize my opinions and my photos, please!
    Rob

E-5/14-35/50-200II/70-300/EC14/EC20/OM100 2.8

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

There really wasn't much to learn. Outside of always making sure you check the paper options correctly when printing. Lightroom seems to occasionally reset the margin spacing for some reason for me. I expect color reproduction to be even better once I actually calibrate my monitor, but I'm very happy with the results that I've gotten so far.

Jeff

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Pros: Ease of use, price, quality, size. Easy to make great results without years of knowledge and experience. Prints up to 13" by 44" panoramas. Small enough to fit in my 6' x 6' workshop area with all the other equipment necessary for digital photo processing. Epson software has always been the best drivers that work compatible with Apple hardware for me, and this is no exception. I can't imagine how much I would have to spend to really get a printer that is noticeably higher in product output, for prints up to this size.

Cons: Eight ink cartridges can be expensive to refill, the gloss optimizer when used (it is an option) level drops fast on super B borderless prints.

Getting the hang of it... (my first decent photo printer.) I blew up a print of this awesome wave, one of my favorite images. The paper management software was warning me that at 13" x 19" the image would print at less than 220 ppi, as it was a portrait format which I had cropped to landscape format from my 7.5 MP Lumix L1. I went for it anyways, just to see the result, and I'm blown away by the print quality. Looks great as close as I can get to it and still focus my eyes! The color replication was perfect. To keep it simple I set color for Adobe rgb since that is what color profile I did final p/p with in Elements 4 - no professional monitor calibration here either. Used Epson premium Luster finish photo paper. I will frame this super B sized print and I don't think I'll ever be embarrassed to say that it was my first large print self made. I would pay over fifteen bucks to my professional printer friend for a print this large... cost me less than a third of that and I feel that this product is in the same league as his product using a 30" ZBE Chromira on silver halide paper, except for a slight thickness to that paper of course, to the untrained eye - no offense, Joe - I'll still call you for the 20" by 30"s haha!
    All that I share with you is purely my personal perspective based on my own experiences. Feel free to constructively criticize my opinions and my photos, please!
    Rob

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I have been considering purchasing one of these but have seen some user reviews on B&H that complained about paper jams (and the small ink cartridges). I can live with the small cartridges but would rather not spend the money on a printer prone to jams. Any opinions?

Steve

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

I've printed somewhere around 100 prints or so. From 4x6 to (mostly) 8.5x11 to 13x19 to double sided (refeed) business cards and have yet to have any kind of jam (and the business card stock is kind of flimsy after you print the front side - - no problems).

HTH,
    Jeff

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Jeff, Congrats on the printer. I have a R2400. If I make a suggestion, when you have to replace an ink cartridge check the levels of the rest. The Epson printers 'recharge' ALL the other cartridges even though you are replacing only one. If any of my other cartridges ar showing levels below the third mark, I replace those as well. This does work out cheaper in the long run, because, after you have replaced the cartridge that was empty, you will have to replace another in another couple of print runs (because of the ink usage in the recharging of the cartridges.)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

I don't know what recharging the cartridges means, but my (probably outdated) experience is that when one runs out, the colors go weird. Thus you've lost all that paper and ink.

An inkjet costs so much to refill with ink, it is about mandatory to refill yourself. Quality may suffer from 3rd party inks, though, and I have heard of damage to the fine nozzles used these days.

If you decide to refill yourself, do check on ease of refilling. I had a Canon last, and its cartridges could be refilled (one, that is) in one minute counted from removing to replacing the cartridge. A friend brought over a couple of HP cartridges for me to refill and I got muscle-weary and frustrated at the difficulty and the mess it was making (my Canons didn't mess), I turned it over to him. And that was just the black; I hadn't touched the color one yet.

Another thing to watch for is some kind of electrical cutoff. Pull a cartridge from a printer to examine it and it "resets to empty". You can't use it anymore, and of course can't refill it either, unless someone has invented a "demagnitizer" (or whatever).

I found that the cost of ink was around 1/4 in reloading myself. Was easy (with the Canon, which had permanent nozzles on the printer; the previous Apple-logo-Canon had needles on the cartridge and about the fifth loading got wasted because the needles wore out).

Don of this forum had his 1999 Epson clog up. I learned about this on my computer forum, and extra info from a friend in Poland. Seems it was the sweetest printer... IF... you would use it at least every couple of weeks. Otherwise... it became a wooly bugger-bear and sometimes unrestorable.

Okay he just wrote back:

Epson's bane. Gotta use them constantly, or the nozzles clog.

On Jul 28, 2008, at 6:18 AM, Leonard Durrenberger wrote:

Plugged ink jet printer, grrrrr..."]Epson's bane. Gotta use them constantly, or the nozzles clog.

On Jul 28, 2008, at 6:18 AM, Leonard Durrenberger wrote:

Plugged ink jet printer, grrrrr...
    He's making it sound like the problem hasn't left. Sorry for not more details. I'll write back.
    Last edited by lendur2; 07-27-2008 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Quote didn't "take". Looking into why.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

I know this is an ancient thread, but the R1900 is still available. I have an R800 that went belly up about a year ago, after less than 200 prints total. If anyone who still has one can give an update as to their experience OR for a good, reliable option, I'd be very appreciative.
    No, I don't miss film...

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

2 and a half years after my initial post, and it pops back up .

I don't print nearly enough (or haven't, I should say) to have justified the cost, but I still love it. I just fired it up last night after a 10 or 11 month hiatus of not have ever been turned on. I was prepared for an ink and paper wasting ordeal of getting the print heads unclogged (the legendary epson nightmare) and it printed perfectly on the first print (well, a little dark, but not the printers fault).

Just a note: I have had the unclogging/headcleaning nightmare on this printer once or twice in the past. A little frustrating, but nothing too bad. I was prepared for an ordeal this time as 10-11 months is a long time. I was pleasantly surprised.

Even though I don't use this printer enough, I'm still glad I bought it.

HTH,
    Jeff

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

I'm still happy with mine too. It does marvelous jobs in a pinch or on a budget job.. actually if I were to invest a little more into my media I might even get more out of it. I've been using the Epson Lustre paper mostly.
    Rob

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Mine keeps chugging away. Just ran hundreds of prints of art work for my daughter and wife.
    February Photos
    March photos

Comments/criticisms are just my personal opinion and are meant to be constructive. Please feel free to do the same for me.