Thread: HLD or NOT?

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default HLD or NOT?

Should I consider the HLD for the E-3?

I know there have been issues, if it doesn't give the extra shooting time I would do without it, but am concerned about balance with the 50-200 SWD.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: HLD or NOT?

I recommend not getting the HLD for the E-3 unless you have some pressing need for it. As for power, it is easier and less weight to just carry a spare battery or two. As to balance, the E-3 is a heavy two pound camera and the 50-200mm lens only weighs slightly more than that. I think the balance will be fine for you. It's not an issue for me with any of my lenses. My normal working setup is the E-3 and the 14-35mm lens, a total of four pounds. I shudder at the thought of volunarily adding the weight of the HLD to that.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thanks English Bob!

I envy you and your 14-35!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

I was not going to get the grip for my second E3, but after a couple of uses, found that I could not go without; it just adds that extra degree of holdability and comfort for all lenses (although it's not the most well designed grip in my view). If you do a reasonable amount of portrait mode shooting, then the grip is pretty much essential to give the entire setup a better overall balance, regardless of what lenses you use. You will get better shooting life and I haven't had any problems with my grips, and I use them constantly.

Cheers

Ray

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by lekkousa View Post
    Should I consider the HLD for the E-3?
    It depends what you want it for. If its just for extra power, its probably not worth the effort with this particular grip as is, however bear in mind that there are many other reasons to get a vertical grip, and its no coincidence that most high end pro DSLRs either have them built in, or give you the option of buying one.

Personally, I really dislike the extra size they make the camera because they become much more difficult to fit into a lot of bags, they don't hang round your neck as well etc, however I dislike NOT having a grip on in actual shooting far more than this inconvenience, hence I tend to use grips on all my cameras if at all possible. Most people find it easier to take better pictures in portrait orientation with a grip than without if you're taking things handheld.

G.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

For power no, just carry extra batteries. For convenience no, like Big Ga says, it makes the camera clunky and a pain to fit in camera bags etc.

I don't like additional grips at all, but I think there are times they work and when I do use them, and that is when I know a lot of pictures are likely to be vertical, and also when I will mostly be using a longer lens. In this case the extra weight of the HLD is offest by the better balance it gives with a longer lens, and the extra weight is also offset in the longer term by the extra ease of holding the camera in a vertical format for long periods using the extra shutter release. So you end up less tired despite the extra heft of the outfit. But in every other sense I can't help but think they are mainly used by photographers for posing with down at the camera club.

Steve

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I prefer the way my E-3 handles with the grip attached, which I realize is wholly subjective. What I'd like to add is that you should also consider getting the GS2 strap with the HLD4, should you decide to buy one. It will free you forever from the tyranny of neck straps. What Gareth said is true, once installed the camera and battery grip can't fit in some bags, but there are bags out there that will still work. Finally, the use of the HLD4 facilitates the holding technique favored by Joe McNally, which amounts to resting the camera on the pectoral muscles, works great for handholding heavy lenses.

Rocky

Link to McNally's blog re handholding technique: http://www.joemcnally.com/blog/category/tips-tricks/
    Last edited by BL3; 07-08-2008 at 06:55 AM. Reason: added link