Thread: I'm completely missing something

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Default I'm completely missing something

Could someone please tell me where to find the rules to all the different contest. Are the assignments just exercises to give us new ideas or are they contest?
    Last edited by DonR; 07-29-2008 at 12:09 PM. Reason: Change text
    DonR -
    Everything is now sold.
    E-30-ME-1/9-18/14-54mkI/40-150mkII/50-200 SWD/70-300/Sigma 50-500/50 f2/EC-14/EX-25/Leica V-LUX 1/TCON 17/Raynox 6600 Pro/FL 50/ Panny DMC-ZS5
    Images at http://donr.zenfolio.com/

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Default Re: I'm completely missing something

Hi Don:
    I'm new at this too, but I think the monthly contests have their own rules, which are set forth in the announcement. The only three rules that I can recall are 1) you must use 4/3rds equipment, 2) the picture must have been taken within the last 30 days, and 3) only one picture per entrant, although you can make a substitution if you wish. Of course you must format the photo to be less than 800 pixels wide, and navigate the smugmug post, which I personally found to be a challenge.
    I don't think the assignments are contests--they are open-ended in time, and no winners are ever declared. There are no rules or limits that I have run into. I enjoy just trying to come up with something based on a topic chosen by someone else.
    I think this is right, but I'm sure Tony or someone else who knows what they are talking about will set us straight if it's not.
    Talk with you later.
    Erik "Stay thirsty my friends"

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by DonR View Post
    Are the assignments just exercises to give us new ideas...
    Yes.
    Regards,
    Henk
    ---------------------------------------
    photography is my passion
    you are invited to visit my gallery at http://mordisco.smugmug.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

And suppose to be newer, recent photos?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

The assignments are put up every two weeks by Matthew. I think he does a great job. (Thank you Matthew)

Naturally it is the intention that you start looking around, get inspired and shoot new images for the subject of the assignment. If you have however some great examples in your stock that fit the assignment very well then you are free to post these. You are also free to comment on submitted images.

The only rules are that the image should fit the subject of the assignment (obviously ) and the image must be taken with a 4/3 camera.

Images for the monthly contest however should be taken in the running month, therefore the exif should be intact. Only paying members can participate.

The submitted images will be judged by a jury (assigned by Tony) and the winner and #2 will receive a nice price. I think #1 also has the right to enter the yearly 4/3 photo contest.
    Regards,
    Henk
    ---------------------------------------
    photography is my passion
    you are invited to visit my gallery at http://mordisco.smugmug.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Henk Peter View Post
    Only paying members can participate.
    We actually dropped that rule. So really any member can participate now.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by DonR View Post
    Could someone please tell me where to find the rules to all the different contest. Are the assignments just exercises to give us new ideas or are they contest?
    Hi Don;

Henk's already done a great summary (thank you, Henk) so there's actually not much I can add. You're exactly correct, assignments are exercises to get us out and shooting, and are intended as a fun and easy way to try new things. Contests are designed to bring out the best in us; assignments are for play, experimentation, and sharing. There's no restriction on what you can do or when and how often you can contribute.

There's an earlier thread on the subject here. Perhaps it, or a new thread on the subject, should be made into a Sticky?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Henk Peter View Post
    The assignments are put up every two weeks by Matthew. I think he does a great job. (Thank you Matthew)

Naturally it is the intention that you start looking around, get inspired and shoot new images for the subject of the assignment. If you have however some great examples in your stock that fit the assignment very well then you are free to post these. You are also free to comment on submitted images.

The only rules are that the image should fit the subject of the assignment (obviously ) and the image must be taken with a 4/3 camera.

Images for the monthly contest however should be taken in the running month, therefore the exif should be intact. Only paying members can participate.

The submitted images will be judged by a jury (assigned by Tony) and the winner and #2 will receive a nice price. I think #1 also has the right to enter the yearly 4/3 photo contest.

How often are the contest judged? I found results for the June contest but not the July & August contest.
    DonR -
    Everything is now sold.
    E-30-ME-1/9-18/14-54mkI/40-150mkII/50-200 SWD/70-300/Sigma 50-500/50 f2/EC-14/EX-25/Leica V-LUX 1/TCON 17/Raynox 6600 Pro/FL 50/ Panny DMC-ZS5
    Images at http://donr.zenfolio.com/

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I have noticed we have been getting the results of a contest at least 15 days after it is over. As for August, the contest is still in effect until the end of the month, so we will probably not see the results until maybe two weeks into september.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ann

Default Results coming soon

We try to have the results within the first week of the following month. But this time the (July) contest has been especially difficult. The judges are deliberating and we'll have results soon.

Ann
    Appreciate what we have, instead of worrying about what we haven't. Enjoy what is, before it isn't.
    --------
    http://www.scenicphotos4u.smugmug.com
    Moderator/Photo Contests Forum

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

I cant follow any thing in this forum. The posts are all mixed up, The top (as of right now) is an assignment from 2009. Is there a way to make the most current contest/ assignment a sticky so new members such as myself can find the latest events. I would like to join in, however I am not sure what is going on. Thanks

Kalispell Montana, mere minutes from Glacier Park
    Thanks
    Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

If someone makes a post to an assignment, that thread jumps to the top. The numbers only represent the order that the assignment was made. There is no end date for assignments, so, pick one and get started

Contests where run for a month, and the idea appears to have gone AWOL.
    If people don't occasionally walk away from you shaking their heads,
    you're doing something wrong." óJohn Gierach

Jim
    Visit me at:

www.hillbilly-photo.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    21 (100%)

I do believe we are still waiting for Photographer of the Year (POTY) 2008 to be decided.

Well, just get out during the month of February, shoot some wildlife, and get in on Johannes' contest : )

Jeff