Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Micro Four Thirds System Standard

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Default Micro Four Thirds System Standard

The Press Release -
    Olympus Imaging Corporation (Olympus Imaging) and Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd. (Panasonic) today announced joint development of technologies and devices for the "Micro Four Thirds System standard," a new standard that extends the benefits of the Four Thirds System standard for interchangeable lens type digital camera systems by enabling dramatic reductions in size and weight. Under the terms of an agreement between the two companies, they will work jointly toward commercial production of significantly lighter and more compact interchangeable lens type digital camera systems.

The global market for interchangeable lens type digital SLR cameras is growing steadily, but still only accounts for a 7% share of the total digital camera market. Considering the much larger share held by interchangeable lens type SLR camera systems when film was the dominant imaging medium, it seems that there is still ample room for sales growth in the category. But compact digital cameras continue to offer an expanding range of features and performance, and market surveys indicate that customers choose compact models because they find digital SLR cameras to be "big, heavy, and difficult to operate."
    Recognizing this market trend, Olympus Imaging and Panasonic have introduced products based on the Four Thirds System standard, and have led the industry in bringing features such as Live View and contrast-detection autofocusing systems to interchangeable lens type digital camera systems.
    Now, Olympus Imaging and Panasonic are expanding the potential of the Four Thirds System standard even further, enabling the development of radically more compact and lightweight interchangeable lens type digital camera systems based on the Micro Four Thirds System standard. Together with the existing range of Four Thirds System products, the new range of Micro Four Thirds System products will enable customers to enjoy true interchangeable lens type digital camera system performance.

When compared to the Four Thirds System standard, the primary distinguishing characteristics of the Micro Four Thirds System standard are:
    1) Approximately 50% shorter flangeback distance (mount-to-sensor distance)
    2) 6mm smaller lens mount outer diameter
    3) Electrical contacts in mount increased from 9 to 11
    * Image sensor diagonal dimensions are the same for both Four Thirds System and Micro Four Thirds System standards.
    The Micro Four Thirds System enables users to enjoy the high image quality benefits of the Four Thirds System's 4/3-type image sensor in a much more compact camera body, and also take advantage of significantly more compact lenses, particularly in the wide-angle and high-power zoom range. The Four Thirds System offers compact, lightweight performance, and the new Micro Four Thirds System will take this even further by making it possible to develop ultra-compact interchangeable lens type digital camera systems unlike anything seen before. The new Micro Four Thirds System also incorporates a greater number of lens-mount electrical contacts, enabling support for new features and increased system functionality in the future.
    In addition, users will be able to mount their existing Four Thirds System lenses on Micro Four Thirds System bodies via an adapter.

Moving forward, Olympus Imaging and Panasonic will jointly develop relevant technologies and devices for both Four Thirds System and Micro Four Thirds System standards, and will develop and introduce standards-compliant products in accordance with their respective business strategies.

While continuing to develop Four Thirds System interchangeable lens type digital camera system products, Olympus Imaging will also develop a range of Micro Four Thirds System lenses and accessories, and Micro Four Thirds System camera bodies that are even smaller and slimmer than the light, compact, and widely acclaimed Olympus E-410 and E420.

While continuing to develop Four Thirds System interchangeable lens type digital camera system products, Panasonic will also develop a new generation of compact, lightweight, interchangeable lens type digital camera system products, including ultra-portable camera bodies, interchangeable lenses, and related system accessories.
    About the Four Thirds System Standard
    The Four Thirds System standard defines design and development standards for interchangeable lens type digital camera systems that fully realize the performance potential of digital technology. Four Thirds System cameras utilize a 4/3-type image sensor that delivers the high image quality expected of interchangeable lens type digital camera systems in a form factor that assures outstanding mobility. The Four Thirds System standard is an open standard that enables bodies and lenses produced by participating manufacturers to exchange information and be used interchangeably with one another.

More information available here -
    http://www.four-thirds.org/en/microft/index.html

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Default Re: Micro Four Thirds System Standard

As I get more information, I will clearly add it to this.
    (Click on the images for a larger image.

I have sent out request for all the information that I can get.
    In my opinion this is some of the greatest news for the system that we have been given this year. It is an addition to the ultralight line of the E-4xx series.

In my opinion the 4/3 system is still the future of Digital photography, and perhaps this is an extension of that.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Talking Re: Micro Four Thirds System Standard

My first question is.........

What will be the "magnification" factor with the old lens'. I can't imagine one of the new small bodies on a 90-250mm, but on a 50-200mm lens OK.

I would have to suspect that these new bodies will be much more economical to produce and to buy and if what I have read is true the overall system will be more economical to obtain.

It looks like Photokina will unveil some shockers. At least I am planning on going to PMA this year. I thought that this year was going to be one of evolution, but revolution every now and then is nice!

Randy
    Last edited by the beast; 08-04-2008 at 10:40 PM. Reason: bad grammar

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

I am assuming that this is all true.
    But with an adaptor on the existing lenses I imagine it would be the same, because the adaptor would end up placing the imaging circle at the same place. With the adaptor it would be 40mm to give the same imaging size.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by the beast View Post

What will be the "magnification" factor with the old lens'. I can't imagine one of the new small bodies on a 90-250mm, but on a 50-200mm lens OK.

I would have to suspect that these new bodies will be much more economical to produce and to buy and if what I have read is true the overall system will be more economical to obtain.

It looks like Photokina will unveil some shockers. At least I am planning on going to PMA this year. I thought that this year was going to be one of evolution, but revolution every now and then is nice!

Randy
    According to the four-thirds. org illustration:

looks like that 4/3 to micro 4/3 adapter is quite thick, then could be no advantages to have the 4/3 lens at a micro 4/3 body to get a wider view.....

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Thumbs up Re: Micro Four Thirds System Standard

It appears that the lens adapter will be a stop-gap measure to allow 4/3 users to jump into a new body without the need of buying the lens to go with it. Buy a new body and then build your system "on the fly".

The part in the second link about shooting video is very interesting for me..........

This will make the next 6 weeks leading up to Photokina feel like waiting for the E-3 rollout.

And to think I was looking for the announcement of the Canon G10!

Randy

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

THIS IS CRAZY TALK!

But I like it, our current glass on these little bodies? I guess i'll be hanging onto my kit lenses (small and light). I wonder what the micro lenses will be like? Definitely have one for a backup body and such.
    Steve B

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

"This are exciting times we are living in!"

And I thought I was getting crazy about the video camera that Red is rolling out next year.

Two new gadgets for next year, my wife will divorce me! Randy

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Two new gadgets for next year, my wife will divorce me!
    Randy
    I think my wife is packing her bags now....

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

This is exactly what poeple have been asking for, for several years. Something the DP1 etc have tried to produce, but not with great success. This now appears to promise something like the old Pen F cameras, small, quiet, functional, and it won't leave Olympus DSLR owners in the lurch. Now who is going to queue up to buy?

I might add, how many will deride this innovation, until C/N start to 'me too' as well?

Cheers

Ray

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I hope the Video mode is good!! Video with our current lenses (and sound) would be unbelievable. Ill buy one for that reason alone, how many years are we going to have to wait for them?!?!
    Steve B

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Now if Oly could slap the LCD off of a Nikon D3 that was an OLED type I would be standing there day 1.

I wonder how many more people will be heading to the photo shows with this new announcement?

I will be checking the SouthWest Airlines website for the cheap flights tomorrow, Randy

Thanks
    Feedback Score

One of the information pages says "future" video capabilities, so the first models may not have it. But I agree that this is could represent a tremendous coup for Panoly. From my perspective a lot depends on the quality of the EVF and maintenance of focusing speed.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Randy

It will operate exactly the same. The adapter will simply increase the distance from rear element to plane of focus and pass through control.

Regards,

Alan

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Hokuto View Post
    One of the information pages says "future" video capabilities, so the first models may not have it. But I agree that this is could represent a tremendous coup for Panoly. From my perspective a lot depends on the quality of the EVF and maintenance of focusing speed.
    Ya "future" but something we may be able to look forwards to anyways.
    Steve B

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Red face Re: Micro Four Thirds System Standard

I need help in coming up with a GOOD story for this one!

Before I got married I bought my first E-1, and it was good

until

it developed the mysterious unending writing problem

which prompted me to buy another E-1

just-in-case

and years passed

Rumors of the E-3 caused my heart to a-flutter.

Then I walked up to the alter and I said "I do, to two!"

and they are good.

Now I come to find that E-3 has a little sis, maybe we can call her E-30.....

...we'll have to see when the adoption papers are given to the wife!

fairy tales for dreamers.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

That coming micro 4/3 body will be small, no hot shoe, but RC flash instead.
    Metal body or not ??

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Wink Re: Micro Four Thirds System Standard

My bet........Metal! all the way!. I like how my itsy-bitsy Ricoh GX100 feels with the metal body. No flimsiness at all.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

Lightbulb Re: Micro Four Thirds System Standard

A weird thought,

The camera body could be smaller than a FL-50 flash!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

A weird thought,

The camera body could be smaller than a FL-50 flash!
    Sure.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Can imagine ... half thickness of a E-420 .... shorter without prism .... wow .... Panasonic LX-3 will be out ..... hahahaha

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Johannes View Post
    That coming micro 4/3 body will be small, no hot shoe, but RC flash instead.
    Metal body or not ??
    No hot shoe would break my heart.......
    Steve B

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SiB View Post
    No hot shoe would break my heart.......
    Could be a small pop up flash for RC flash control only .....

But then later will be a 'PRO' version ... weather proof with everything inside ...

Thanks
    Feedback Score

When handling the live preview digital SLRs, the thought ran in my mind that the future digital SLR will be done with an electronic viewfinder. This shorter flange distance suggests that there will be no room for an instant return mirror. Of course without the mirror, will we still use the term, single lens reflex? We are living in exciting times--but oh, my poor wallet.