resize:

bokeh

portrets

full-size photo: http://oly43club.ru/forum/index.php?...ndpost&p=10824

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Default Re: Canon FD lenses on 4/3 body

Hmm...I have three old FD lenses laying around. How difficult is the modification, and what is the cost for the adapter? Where are they available?
    Nate

"There's only one rule in photography - never develop colour film in chicken noodle soup." - Freeman Patterson

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenwing View Post
    Hmm...I have three old FD lenses laying around. How difficult is the modification, and what is the cost for the adapter? Where are they available?
    read more about Canon nFD-4/3 adapter:

http://oly43club.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=690

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (67%)

Does the $34 euros include shipping?

Does the seller have any feedback anywhere?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Feedback Score

All the illustrations show the newer Canon lenses where the whole lens rotates. I have several of the older "FD breech-block" mount lenses where only a ring at the rear of the lens rotates to lock it to the camera.

Do you have any information as to whether this adaptor will fit the older breech-block lenses?

Thanks

Roger

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by RogerMac View Post
    All the illustrations show the newer Canon lenses where the whole lens rotates. I have several of the older "FD breech-block" mount lenses where only a ring at the rear of the lens rotates to lock it to the camera.

Do you have any information as to whether this adaptor will fit the older breech-block lenses?

Thanks

Roger
    only for newFD Canon lens!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Cool. I knew I was holding on to the old Canon stuff for a reason

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thanks for the link and information. Wouldn't you know it. I've got nine beautiful Canon FD primes on the market at the moment, hoping to help finance one ZD lens which will probably feel cheap and nasty by comparison! Then I read this but .... still no good because the ones I'd love to have on my E3 are breech mount while all the others are bayonet mount! But anyway, they probably won't sell because the market is nearly dead so who knows, one of these adaptors may find its way into my camera bag one day. I will be interested to see how the FD lenses perform on the dense little 4/3 sensor. ALL mine perform extremely well on 35mm film.

In the meantime, I am expecting my new Zeiss 50mm/1.7 tomorrow to mate with the 4/3 adaptor which arrived today. I have high hopes for that little puppy.

Don.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

FD 85/1.8

f/1.8

50/1.4

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by deep View Post
    In the meantime, I am expecting my new Zeiss 50mm/1.7 tomorrow to mate with the 4/3 adaptor which arrived today. I have high hopes for that little puppy.
    Don.
    Hey Don, let me know how your Zeiss + adapter mounts. I have the Zeiss50 1.7 and there is a slight play with the adapter. My om50-1.8 is tight, no play at all.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    --Rick Bonanno--
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Bonanno View Post
    Hey Don, let me know how your Zeiss + adapter mounts. I have the Zeiss50 1.7 and there is a slight play with the adapter. My om50-1.8 is tight, no play at all.
    The Contax adaptor is beautiful. It's really snug, both on lens and body. Makes the lens feel like it was made for Olympus. Sorry, no brand name on box or adaptor. I have an OM adaptor and a screw mount adaptor and they just jiggle away - really poor by comparison.

The lens on the other hand is a mixed bag. I wonder how you find it? For anyone else who is interested, here are my observations:

It has lovely Zeiss contrast and colour and out-of-focus softness is pleasing. It is also quite sharp in the centre, even wide open, but a little soft at the edges at f1.7-2. Ok for portraits. I would rate sharpness better than the 14-54 at wider and smaller apertures and the same in the 14-54 sweet spot; compared to the 50-200 it is not quite as good overall (shows how good that big Oly zoom is!). The big downside is the purple fringing. Clearly not designed for digital and with bright light sources in the picture it's not worth using. However, I have been using it a lot because the big aperture is just plain fun and I am enjoying the real photography feel of using manual focus and an aperture ring. It's amazing how much easier it is to compose a focus if you do not worry about where the focus point is!

IF someone made a nice sharp 12mm/2.0 I would just carry the two lenses and be a happy man....

Don.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I just took my Zeiss out this weekend. Will post in new thread once I go through them, and not hijack Zymmi's cannon thread anymore (sorry Zymmi). He's some really fine shots. But, I don't have a cannon legacy.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    --Rick Bonanno--
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Bonanno View Post
    I just took my Zeiss out this weekend. Will post in new thread once I go through them, and not hijack Zymmi's cannon thread anymore (sorry Zymmi). He's some really fine shots. But, I don't have a cannon legacy.
    Good point! Back to Canon - I don't think the Japanese Zeiss 50/1.7 is any better than my Canon 50/1.8 or even the imperceptably softer Canon 50/1.4., though I haven't tried one on a digital body. I just wish the adaptor worked with breech mount lenses because I sure would have a rethink if that was the case!

Don.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Has anyone here done this?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

No ONE has done this here in the USA? Not a single person

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Guess not. I've always been curious about it, but not enough courage to give it a try. I have this old (but pristine) 300mm in FD mount.......
    Nate

"There's only one rule in photography - never develop colour film in chicken noodle soup." - Freeman Patterson

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Hi;

I have purchased the adapter from these guys but have not converted any lenses with it yet. Not all lenses are candidates, and I am not sure I would trust hanging a 300mm lens off of it. The confirmation chip is the best that I have used and is reliable with the large contacts.

Gerry
    E330, E520, Zuiko 14-42, Zuiko 14-45, Zuiko 40-150, Zuiko 11-22, Ziko 50-200,Sigma 50-500, Sigma 18-50EX DC Macro, Sigma 150/2.8 APO EX DG HSM Macro,Sigma 105/2.8, Sigma 55-200, Olympus EX25, virtual village focus screen, ME-1 Eyecup, Metz 44 Flash,Slik PRO400DX TriPod, Giottos MH7001-621 BallHead, Ownuser FX-FBH Battery Grip, 200+ legacy lenses.

http://picasaweb.google.ca/ghenton

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by akfreak View Post
    No ONE has done this here in the USA? Not a single person
    I converted a nFD 35~105/3.5, apparently poorly. It's not as easy as it looks, and I couldn't find a way to wedge the adapter (it's a friction fit, no screws) into the resulting bayonet.

Basically, you end up taking off the lens mount and aperture control mechanism, then you have to rebuild the aperture control levers, and finally press-fit the adapter into the resulting opening. If I had to do it all over again I'd stick with m4/3rds and a mechanical adapter. Plus the Tamron 35~80/2.8~3.5 Adaptall-2 gives better results, and is easier to adapt.
    Mike's flickr.