Thread: 14-54 maginifcation

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Default 14-54 maginifcation

So, I've looked through as much information on the E system as I think is possible over the past year, and I've played with every lens except the 14-54 (we don't have any left downstairs), and I have one question I've never seen answered no matter how many times 14-54 vs 12-60 has come up: how is the 14-54 at focusing on things really close to it? Macro, if you will.

As far as I'm concerned, that was the thing that I liked most about the 12-60 when I had one for a few months was how close I could be to things and still get them to focus, but the 12-60 is still over twice as much as the 14-54. Honestly, I don't need the extra 2mm wide, and I have the 50-200 ED which I prefer for my 50+ zoom range, so the extra 6mm that way aren't a concern, and I don't shoot sports so I don't even really care about the SWD. I think the 14-54 looks great on paper and I know it'll take stellar shots like any Oly pro lens, but is there someone out there who's used both who could tell me how you feel about the differences in their close focusing and magnification performances?

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Default Re: 14-54 maginifcation

I have both, and will try to post some examples later today (right now kids are sick so I can't devote much time to the site today) but tomorrow, I am shooting a wedding, and I decided that for a backup lens I was going to carry the 14-54mm.
    Really for close up both are very good, but in my opinion the bokeh of the 12-60 wins out. We were going to try to get in the last issue of the webzine this year the 12-60 vs 14-54 but really I don't think that it will make it sorry maybe next year.
    but on paper the 14-54 is .26 (35mm .52) vs 12-60 which is .28 (35mm .56x) So not much difference. Even close focusing is close with the 14-54 focusing a little closer. So working distance of the 12-60 wins out, but it still not much difference.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Thanks, some reference shots would be much appreciated, but there's no huge rush so don't feel pressed or anything. I noticed on paper that the 14-54 has closer working distance but less magnification, but I just had no idea how the math on that would work out in actual pictures. Thanks for replying, I appreciate it.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Cool Re: 14-54 maginifcation

Quote Originally Posted by zedmartinez View Post
    Thanks, some reference shots would be much appreciated, but there's no huge rush so don't feel pressed or anything. I noticed on paper that the 14-54 has closer working distance but less magnification, but I just had no idea how the math on that would work out in actual pictures. Thanks for replying, I appreciate it.
    Note, the minimum focus distance is usually measured from the sensor, not from the end of the lens as some would expect. This means if you can get the same distance from the front elemnt on both lenses, the 12-60mm will have a longer focus distance because the lens is physically bigger.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Ok here is a quickie example -
    Because the 12-60mm is longer I was able to get in slightly closer. My tripod legs were in the way, so I got as close as I could, but I might have gotten a couple more cm's out of it.
    12-60mm

12-60mm f22 (click for larger)

12-60mm f4 (click for larger)

14-54mm

14-54mm f22 (click for larger)

14-54 f3.5 (click for larger)

these are straight out of camera images. focus point in the left eye.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Michael, Thanks for that info, I was unaware of that, but it makes sense.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

tspore, thanks so very much for those photos, that shows me perfectly what I was wondering. It was very kind of you to take time out for those, and I wanted to make sure to express my gratitude. I think I can probably live with that difference for now, if I need better macro work I'll pick up the 50mm down the road. Thanks, again.