Thread: Looking for Lunch

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Looking for Lunch

This coyote is hunting for his next meal. Hes happy enough to scavenge any kills made by other animals, but most of his food comes from the open fields that he often hunts. During migration seasons he sometimes can find a bird. On a really good day, he will capture a rabbit. Most likely he will have to settle for small burrowing animals such as voles or field mice. His hearing is acute and he will often hear the animals moving in their burrows. When he does, hell often jump up and down over the place he heard them to see if he can scare them into moving again and maybe even leaving the burrow before he does the last resort, digging for them.

Camera: E-3
    Lens: DZ 50-200mm + TC 1.4 at 283mm
    Shooting mode: P
    Shutter speed: 1/320
    Aperture: f5.6
    Metering mode: ESP
    WB: Auto
    ISO: 100

Camera: E-3
    Lens: DZ 50-200mm + TC 1.4 at 283mm
    Shooting mode: P
    Shutter speed: 1/320
    Aperture: f5
    Metering mode: ESP
    WB: Auto
    ISO: 100
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: Looking for Lunch

Those are nice ... i would love to get a shot of Coyotes or even a Fox ..

Marion

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I seem to see a lot of coyotes in the west, and even hear more at night as the frequently serenade me. I seldom see foxes out there though.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Getting close enough to capture a coyote is difficult. The aren't sociable. The ones in my neighborhood are rarely seen but there presence is felt by the owners of "lost" cats.

Clay

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Those are different-looking coyotes from those in southern California, E B - lighter colored and perhaps longer haired.

Clay, a quarter century ago I lived a few blocks from the steep southern front of the San Gabriel Mountains in southern California. When I ran in the morning I would often see coyotes on the streets. They would cross to the other side and we'd pass without drama. Those critters will stay wild by choice, but will adapt to survive in any situation.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Finnerty View Post
    Those are different-looking coyotes from those in southern California, E B - lighter colored and perhaps longer haired.

Clay, a quarter century ago I lived a few blocks from the steep southern front of the San Gabriel Mountains in southern California. When I ran in the morning I would often see coyotes on the streets. They would cross to the other side and we'd pass without drama. Those critters will stay wild by choice, but will adapt to survive in any situation.
    Tony,

I got to thinking about this and I remember we had duck pond and a little woods over in eastgate in mid 80s and we had a coyote which hung around to eat the ducks. Didn't see him often and you would never get within 100 feet of it. The ones I have seen in the wild have always been hundreds of yards from me. They city coyotes on the west side are invisible. You see one once every two years.

The foxes are much more approachable, you can almost walk up and pet the foxes. They got so tame they lost there natural defenses and now most of them have been killed one way or another. Someone put out poison for them in the park we found several dead ones with their tongues hanging out. Haven't found any dead coyotes however.

Clay
    Last edited by cstirlingbartholomew; 10-18-2008 at 10:33 PM.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

This fellow is definitely wild. He lives in bear, elk and moose country.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Finnerty View Post
    This fellow lives in an extremely large mountain valley with an elevation of about 7500 feet. Winters are long and cold and the snow is deep.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Nice shots, EB. He needs to get all the food he can while the getting is good. It will be a long and cruel winter, with quite a few hungry days, I would imagine.
    Nate

"There's only one rule in photography - never develop colour film in chicken noodle soup." - Freeman Patterson

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I suspect so. I have no idea how they survive the winter in climates that get as much snow as his.
    Good shooting,
    English Bob