Thread: Surprise Visitor

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Surprise Visitor

With our 1 year old exploring new places for photography has been little difficult. So I make most of what is often presented to me. Last weekend while outside my condo I noticed this beautiful bird sitting on one of the cars and decided to test my newly acquired 50-200 (without SWD). I was not very happy about the urban background setting and had to reduced my DOF to obscure it as much possible. Google later helped me identify the bird as the "Little Blue Heron". Note sure if its a winter migrant or native. Here are a few takes.

Being a beginner comments will be very much appreciated.
    Last edited by hemant; 11-11-2008 at 08:07 AM.
    E-520, E-500, 9-18mm,14-54mm, 14-45mm, 40-150mm, 50-200mm, 50mm f/1.4 OM, 50mm f/2, FL-36R

Lower 48 in my 5th wheel during the winter and SE Alaska in the summer
    Thanks
    Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

Default Re: Surprise Visitor

Great shots with good detail. I think you will love the 50-200, it is a great lens.

You did a great job of throwing the background out of focus and keeping the detail in the Blue Heron.

Enjoy,

Jim
    There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

E-5, E-30, E-500, - Oly 150 F-2, Oly 9-18, 50 Macro, 40-150, 50-200 non-SWD, Oly 70-300, and 14-54, EC-14, EC-20, FL-36R, Bower SFD9260 TTL Flash, Cokin Pro Z Filter System, Oh, and more than likely, more on the way!!!

Photo Book - Click Here
    SmugMug Pics - Click Here
    Personal Website - Click Here

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Very well done. Nicely framed and composed.
    Luc

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

All are well focused and sharp.

In my opinion,#2 is the best shot. You have the entire bird framed and in focus. The side view is done well. The lighting is good.
    Some of the birders here might differ, but that is what I think and I am stuck with it.

halfwright

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Thanks guys for your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by wigpro View Post
    You did a great job of throwing the background out of focus and keeping the detail in the Blue Heron.
    I was happy with the blurring achieved. Having moved up from the kit 40-150 I appreciate the quality of this lens.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Nicely framed and composed.
    Framing seems to be an area I don't pay much attention too and often end up cropping to get what I want. Well I should stop doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by halfwright View Post
    In my opinion,#2 is the best shot. You have the entire bird framed and in focus. The side view is done well. The lighting is good.
    Some of the birders here might differ, but that is what I think and I am stuck with it.
    I was initially trying to get the entire bird inside the frame which was not always possible (especially if the bird was on a car roof which was curved) and after some time I recollected Bruce's pictures from earlier. He had not always kept the entire bird in the frame. But in his pictures he managed to fill the frame with the Heron. But my bird always kept its neck extended and I could not achieve similar results without getting very close which would frighten the bird away.
    E-520, E-500, 9-18mm,14-54mm, 14-45mm, 40-150mm, 50-200mm, 50mm f/1.4 OM, 50mm f/2, FL-36R

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Nice job, and indeed a beautiful bird. I like the way you handled the dof issue with the background, the 50-200 is great for that. #3 is my favorite because of the light and shadow play, as well as highlighting the shape of the bird, but I rather like #1 and #2 as well.
    Nate

"There's only one rule in photography - never develop colour film in chicken noodle soup." - Freeman Patterson