Thread: Questions on the HLD-4

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Question Questions on the HLD-4

Hey Guys,
    I know that the HLD-4 has been beat to death but I have another question.
    For those of you who own it how do you like it comfort wise. And do you find it a challenge to hold for long hours.
    I shoot alot of portraits and I just got my first HLD-4 and to tell the truth I am having problems coming to grasps with it especially after a couple of hours.
    Would just like your feed back and input.
    Thanks
    God Bless
    Corey

My Web site:http://midiowaphoto.com

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Default Re: Questions on the HLD-4

Corey .... you got it already ..... what shall we say .....
    IMHO, the E-3 grip is not as good as the E-1 grip IN ALL AREAS .........

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Johannes View Post
    Corey .... you got it already ..... what shall we say .....
    IMHO, the E-3 grip is not as good as the E-1 grip IN ALL AREAS .........
    Yes I already got it. I am just really surprised at how little the grip matches the body especially comfort wise. As well as never hearing much of it.
    God Bless
    Corey

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Ghosted View Post
    Yes I already got it. I am just really surprised at how little the grip matches the body especially comfort wise. As well as never hearing much of it.
    Corey, there were some input (comments) about this grip, comfort-wise or not is depend on you own hand/palm, everyone is a bit different, right?

Other points such as the robustness and battery are another issue, it is not as strong as the E-1 grip and some users (including me) like the BLS battery more. But overall it cost less than the E-1 grip.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I've used mine maybe twice in a year and it has worked OK. But the ergonomics aren't very good and I'm just glad I don't like grips anyway. It is gathering more dust as each day goes by. And Oly decided to use it for the E30 as well, what were they thinking?

Steve

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by 250swb View Post
    And Oly decided to use it for the E30 as well, what were they thinking?
    I think HLD4 is excelent E-30(!) counterpart, but just temporaray solution for E-3. I wish (you) they are working hard on new grip compatible with E-3 (magnesium, BLS battery), maybe with E-5?

Thanks
    Feedback Score

i find it loose after using it for a time... even if the lock is turned very tight. thinking of sticking a few thin foam padding on the batt grip to make it snug fit with the E-3 and hopefully it won't feel loose anymore.
    Dex

E-3 | HLD-4 | ZD 12-60 2.8-4 |ZD 25 2.8 | OM-Z 50 1.4 | ZD 40-150 3.5-4.5 | FL-50R | FL-36R | 055B Pro + 222RC2 | Macbook
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/voodooism/

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

I used the E-3 for a few days without the Grip when I got it just to see how it felt. I have put the grip on and have not taken it off since.

I like the Idea of not having to remove my QR plate to change a battery and this is not possible without the grip. I never had an E1 or associated grip so I cannot comment no how it compares. I simply find that I don't have a little finger tucking under the body when I shoot with a grip. The advantages far outweigh any disadvantages for me.
    About Bob

Daily Photoblog and Photography Blog

Need somewhere to host a photo - Free Image Hosting

E-3, HLD4, E300, HLD3, ZD11-22, ZD 14-45, ZD14-54, Sigma 30 f1.4, ZD35 Macro, ZD40-150(orig), ZD50-200, EC-14 and EX-25, fl-36.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Corey: I have the HLD-4 and use it almost all the time on my E-3, mostly because it balances well with the heavy lenses I own. I actually bought an E420 to use with lighter lenses, and I found that I liked it so much, I've recently been trying to use my E-3 without the grip. I have to interject here that I find the grip strap for the HLD-4 essential for its security and enhancement of the handling qualities. I'm pretty sure that I'll go back to leaving the grip on the E-3 as I'm finding that I don't like the way the camera handles with any of my bigger lenses, starting with the 12-60 and going all the way up to the telephotos or even the 7-14.

I do miss the way my E-1 handled with its battery grip, but in my opinion, that grip was better engineered, and of a higher overall quality. But, the original price on that item was almost $500, and when we the buying public complained, we got the lower priced HLD-4. I wish Oly would, on its next "pro" camera, come up with an integral grip, like the competition from Nikon and Canon, only smaller--fulfilling the 4/3's concept.

Getting back to your original query, I can only offer that I think you have to use the grip strap when using the grip, as you can then better deal with the added mass. A good monopod is a big help, also.

Rocky

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by BL3 View Post
    I wish Oly would, on its next "pro" camera, come up with an integral grip, like the competition from Nikon and Canon, only smaller--fulfilling the 4/3's concept.

Rocky
    Rocky: I second that! Seems to me if you made the body and grip as one integral casting there would be plenty of space to allow a 3-inch articulated screen as well as improved spacing and layout of certain buttons.

Peter

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

My grip has been almost permanently attached to my E3. Though I've owned both for a very short time. I've been shooting a lot of hockey and like to shoot in portrait orientation. I find the button on the grip easier to use than wrapping my hand around for two hours at a time.

It feels very comfortable to me. Having said that I like the feel and weight of bigger cameras.

One other thing I've noticed as compared to working with my Panasonic L1. When I'm working for the newspaper the L1 was almost invisible to people. When I have the battery grip on the E3, people notice me walking into an event, the camera is huge. This can be good or bad. Recently it was great as I walked into a Legion on Remembrance Day to be immediately greeted and asked how I could be accommodated. Something about walking lightly and carrying a big camera.

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Thank you every one for taking the time to reply.
    I think there is very good points. I do agree that the benefits of the grip do outweigh the cons. However I shoot over 50% of my work in portrait orientation and the grip does not have any ware near the comfort as the cameras grip and controls especially after a few hours. About a strap I have a strap but it does not allow me to go from landscape to portrait with out having to remove my hand from the strap and them I would need to put back through the strap. It is just too time consuming and a risk so I just leave my neck strap on.
    God Bless
    Corey

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Cool Re: Questions on the HLD-4

Quote Originally Posted by refiningman View Post
    Rocky: I second that! Seems to me if you made the body and grip as one integral casting there would be plenty of space to allow a 3-inch articulated screen as well as improved spacing and layout of certain buttons.

Peter
    And if they go that route, I probably would not buy it. I like the size of the camera as it is, and hated the grip the few times I used it on the E-1. Different strokes for different folks.