Thread: October 2008 Photo Contest WINNERS

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ann

Thumbs up October 2008 Photo Contest WINNERS

Congratulations to the October Photo Contest winners.

The theme was "Barriers".
    1st and 2nd prize winners choose your prizes here: http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/sho...614#post340614 and please send me a PM with your choices.
    3rd and 4th places will also have a chance at the end of the year for the Photographer of the Year.

1st prize winn
    er: #15 "Blocked" by Assafx - 89 Points

Judges comments (underlined), Voting from 1-5 in each category:

|5| Subject (1-5): Does the subject fit the theme?
    The Emotion of a Mental Block is captured very well.

|5| Creativity (1-5): How effectively/dramatically/interestingly is the subject presented?
    By thinking beyond the obvious physical barrier, it shows great creativity.

|4| Composition (1-5): Has the subject been composed appropriately/interestingly?
    It is all about the small elements that make up the picture here and it is obvious that the shot was carefully planned. The use of a natural framing of the body, the inclusion of the clutter on the desk all add to the emotion. The big let-down was seeing a 2nd set of keys - the one near the arm are superfluous. The hand with the pen has slightly too much emphasis on it. I am not sure a landscape orientation was the best choice. A portrait or even a square, with a little more at the bottom, with the whole arm would have been better.

|4| Lighting (1-5): Has lighting been used appropriately/effectively for the subject?
    The strong side light draws our attention to the main writing pad, which is let down slightly by the fill. It spills onto the hand leaving an unnecessary shadow, where it would have been better used drawing some more attention to the face. Overall, it is well lit.

|4| Technical (1-5): Has the subject been exposed, focused, etc appropriately/correctly?
    Initial look I could not find a defined focal point, but on further reflection of the emotion it is clearly not needed. It is not needed to capture the emotion. The B&W has a full tonal range and suits the subject well.

------------

If you have ever known writers block, you know this fits the subject.

|4| Creativity (1-5):
    How effectively/dramatically/interestingly is the subject presented?
    It requires a creative mind to see the possibilities of this scene. The photographer did it.

|4| Composition (1-5):
    Has the subject been composed appropriately/interestingly?
    There is a lot to be seen in this scene but nothing seems to be out of place. An alternative would have been an emphasized emptiness, which could also have worked.

|4| Lighting (1-5):
    Has lighting been used appropriately/effectively for the subject?
    The lighting works but I wonder if a low lightsource from the left would not have added some more drama to the scene.

|4| Technical (1-5):
    Has the subject been exposed, focused, etc appropriately/correctly?
    Well executed.
    ------------

Oh my. Very nicely thought out. I’ve been there soooo many times.

|5| Creativity (1-5):
    All that’s missing is an overflowing ashtray and a half demolished bottle of whiskey (my cures for writer’s block).

|4| Composition (1-5)
    |4| Lighting (1-5)
    |4| Technical (1-5):
    Perhaps a bit more grit/contrast.
    -----------

Love the take on the subject.

|5| Creativity (1-5): How effectively/dramatically/interestingly is the subject presented?
    I felt like I could feel his frustration. This was a great job illustrating it.

|5| Composition (1-5)

|4| Lighting (1-5): Has lighting been used appropriately/effectively for the subject?
    Looks fine, a touch hot in the middle.

|5| Technical (1-5): Has the subject been exposed, focussed, etc appropriately/correctly?
    Exposure, focus, etc. fine.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2nd Prize Winner: #21 "Newborn mother's barrier" by Savyhilton99 - 70 Points

Judges comments (underlined), Voting from 1-5 in each category:

What a more heart wrenching barrier, being kept away from your child.

|5| Creativity (1-5):
    It would make an excellent picture for the local Children’s hospital.

|4| Composition (1-5):
    The face and hands. Oh my. (this would have been a pick for the previous “Expressive Hands/feet” contest!

|4| Lighting (1-5):
    |4| Technical (1-5):

---------------

Yes the subject fits the theme very well.

|5| Creativity (1-5):
    Very creative angle on the touching hands.

|5| Composition (1-5):
    Good composition with the sleeping baby in the background with the tiny little hand holding mom's finger in the forefront. Although at first I thought perhaps there was too much at the bottom, it helps to see what is going on because of the label on the frame, along with a tube running down from it.

|5| Lighting (1-5):
    Perfect lighting.

|5| Technical (1-5): Has the subject been exposed, focussed, etc appropriately/correctly?
    Good exposure and focusing on the main subject.

----------------

Yes.

|4| Creativity (1-5): How effectively/dramatically/interestingly is the subject presented?
    Love the dof and focus on the hand.

|4| Composition (1-5): Has the subject been composed appropriately/interestingly?
    Nicely composed.

|5| Lighting (1-5): Has lighting been used appropriately/effectively for the subject?
    Yes, appropriate for the subject.

|5| Technical (1-5)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3rd Place: #12 "A cat's barrier, A photographer's barrier" BY VIPERMAN500 - 45 Points

Judges comments
    (underlined), Voting from 1-5 in each category:

The "invisible" barrier of the glass and the physical barrier partially blocking the subject capture the essence of the theme.

|4| Creativity (1-5): How effectively/dramatically/interestingly is the subject presented?
    It gets points for the "cute factor" here, and the inclusion of the reflection further emphasize the "invisible" barrier.

The total lack of engagement of the subject by the photographer, but the capture of the emotion of what is going on is what I see. I keep thinking that this would have lent itself to a bit more symmetry - with a little more of the reflection visible and maybe a little bit removed from the bottom.

The lighting is pretty well spot on. With both black and white fur, we have details in the white and sufficient definition of the black.

|4| Technical (1-5): Has the subject been exposed, focussed, etc appropriately/correctly?
    With the Eye to the nose in focus, and the soft ends of the whiskers leading us into the face, there was nothing really left wanting from a technical perspective.
    ----------------

Yes, very much. The cat knows there is a barrier, although it cannot see it.

The cat is the only thing in focus, which keeps the eyes watching as if to ask what the cat will do next.

|5| Composition (1-5): Has the subject been composed appropriately/interestingly?
    Good composition with the partial view of the cat's head with a slight reflection on the glass.

|5| Lighting (1-5): Has lighting been used appropriately/effectively for the subject?
    Good use of what looks like natural light.

|4| Technical (1-5): Has the subject been exposed, focussed, etc appropriately/correctly?
    Everything looks good, except it looks slightly crooked and might need to be straightened just a tad. It's not that easy capturing an animal between curtains like that.

4th Place: #6 "The Eleventh Commandment" by Huckleberry - 43 Points

Judges comments
    (underlined), Voting from 1-5 in each category:

|4| Subject (1-5): Does the subject fit the theme?
    I didn’t even see the “No Skateboarding” sign at first. I saw the steps and an inaccessible accessibility ramp. Then I saw the sign. This image works on two levels for me.

|4| Creativity (1-5):
    A nice take on the concept of barriers.

|4| Composition (1-5)
    |4| Lighting (1-5)
    |4| Technical (1-5)

-----------

|4| Subject (1-5): Does the subject fit the theme?
    I saw the obvious sign out front, but it took me awhile to realize that there is also a wheelchair ramp, and the steps in front become a barrier to the ramp.

|5| Creativity (1-5):
    It's definately different.

|4| Composition (1-5):
    Fairly good composition, but since it was taken at an angle it makes the shot look a little tilted on the right side.

|5| Lighting (1-5):
    Well light. No distracting shadows, either.

|5| Technical (1-5):
    I like that both the ramp and steps seem to be in focus and exposed well.

More comments:

#8 "Benediction stops here." by Tertulia - 42 Points

People waiting in line between different barriers, the houses, police or soldiers, actual barriers along the street. For me it certainly fits the subject.

|4| Creativity (1-5):
    The feeling of drama is very strong for me. I do not see people waiting for a benediction, I see a very dramatic scene with people in misery, waiting to be helped or even more dramatic things. I realize that this is not what it actually is but that is my interpretation and therefore this scene makes a strong impression for me.

|4| Composition (1-5):
    My eyes are taken into the scene and kept there. I had a look at the photo with less foreground, but I feel it belongs there, the emptiness contrasts with the crowd.

|5| Lighting (1-5):
    The artificial lighting adds power to the scene.

|4| Technical (1-5):
    I could not have done this better.
    ---------------

Neat moody image.

Creative because of the theme.

|3| Composition (1-5): Has the subject been composed appropriately/interestingly?
    Its a little more centered than I would have liked to have seen.

Did a good job with a long exposure.

|4| Technical (1-5)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#7 "To Touch The Sky" by anwmn1 - 23 Points

A very foreboding image that fits the theme well.

Well thought out image.

This image works with the rule of thirds well, with the highest peak at the upper left third.

Dramatic lighting.

|5| Technical (1-5): Has the subject been exposed, focused, etc appropriately/correctly?
    Technically well done. It looks like it could have been tricky for the correct exposure.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#16 "The Door" by jforkner - 23 Points

The rocks add to the theme in this image.

I really like the colors. The dark windows add to the drama.

|5| Composition (1-5): Has the subject been composed appropriately/interestingly?
    I like the slight angle the image was shot.

I assume it is all natural lighting.

|5| Technical (1-5): Has the subject been exposed, focused, etc appropriately/correctly?
    Exposure, focus, etc. nicely done.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#2 "Some barriers are just fine. . ." by swglera - 21 Points

I agree. Sometimes a barrier is nice to have.

Creative because of the theme.

|3| Composition (1-5): Has the subject been composed appropriately/interestingly?
    I would have like to seen the image cropped a little tighter on the left side so the bull's face wasn't centered.

I like the way the light highlights the bulls face.

Exposure, focus, etc. looks good.

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Default Re: October 2008 Photo Contest WINNERS

it's always an honor to win a contest in 4/3 photo.
    i can't believe it came out first, considering that i woke up with that crazy idea that maybe i should photograph my 3 years old writers block. so yes, it's me unshaved (for a few days) and if it was on portrait you should have seen a diminishing crazy looking hair (well i just woke up). so after about 15-20 takes i decided that photographing myself is annoying and that this is as good as it gets. so a big thank you for choosing me.
    if it was up to me then viperman you got my vote. i really loved your shot !

thanks again.
    Assaf

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Congrats to the winners with some wonderful and creative shots.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    --Rick Bonanno--
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Great job winners!!
    E-5/EM-10
    ZD12-60/ZD50/ZD40-150/ZD12-40/ZD25
    FL-36
    RM-1

Thanks
    Feedback Score

I am honored that you chose my shot for second place. It was a very hard picture to take (emotionally), mostly because the mother was feeling that barrier between her and her child. But the good news is that the baby is now home with mom and doing well.

Regards,

Savy

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Real Name
    Lara

Really well done. Congrats to all!
    Lara P
    A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed. - Ansel Adams
    E-620 * ZD 12-60 SWD * ZD 50-200 SWD *
    Moderator of the About Me Forum

Thanks
    Feedback Score

Ouch, I was so close to the 4th. Time to be more creative for this month's contest.

Congrats to the winners!

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Very nice photos

Is there a way we can see what the rest of the judges thought of our photos- rather than just one? Please??

Thanks
    Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Real Name
    Ann

Those are all the comments made by the judges who voted for the top four.
    Appreciate what we have, instead of worrying about what we haven't. Enjoy what is, before it isn't.
    --------
    http://www.scenicphotos4u.smugmug.com
    Moderator/Photo Contests Forum